996 tint. Recommendation

Naldz88

Any suggestions on tint and what % to go with. Just had a quote done ($500) for 35% tint which translates to 24% when tested. 

It’s to bloody hot driving around without it. I know the purists will spit the dummy but before I go ahead with it does anyone have it on their car and recall the % they went with. Any other advice I’m all ears. 

Get it done, anything that reduces the chance of skin cancer and increases the years we have on this planet for driving Porsches is a must.

I don't know what % mine is but it's darkest legal.  Any plastic film will block the UV rays, darker obviously increases heat reduction.  I had even considered clear on the screen but didn't have the balls.

I think that 35% is the darkest legal you can go.

I’ve heard of people going darker then removing it because while it looks gangsta, it’s too hard to see out of.

I also think that $500 sounds REALLY expensive. There are plenty of places that advertise from $199 - $299. I think they’re charging you Porsche tax ...

I think I paid $450 for mine, someone that came recommended and drives a 996 himself.

There are plenty of cars getting around with bubbles in the rear screen, I asked him why this was the case in this day and age, answer was.........cheap film and adhesive used.

It's your baby, get some local recommendations, I wouldn't be concerned over a little higher price for your pride and joy.

1 hour ago, luzzo said:

The different films available have an impact on price. Need to compare same product to gauge price. 

They use Johnson’s Window film InsulatIR (ceramic film) not sure if that’s the reason for price premium. 

Yeah I am happy to pay for quality, I think I’ll go with the 35% all over. He did say I could go darker on the back windows but I would rather an even look. 

I will likely tick the box for Ceramic coating while it’s in for tint. Doing both came to $1800. Need to get a few stone chips sorted before then but will likely head to Melb for that. I think @KGB know the guy to see. 

1 hour ago, Naldz88 said:

I will likely tick the box for Ceramic coating while it’s in for tint. Doing both came to $1800. Need to get a few stone chips sorted before then but will likely head to Melb for that. I think @KGB know the guy to see. 

Yes he does!  But don’t ceramic coat until stone chips are sorted.

4 hours ago, Naldz88 said:

I know the purists will spit the dummy but before I go ahead with it....

👆

2 hours ago, KGB said:

👆

Looks like I’m lining up a few ducks for my next trip to Melbourne. Paint/service/PCCM+, going to be an expensive trip 😂 

Any idea on rotors and pads cost? 

Who do I see for paint work and do they do ceramic coat? 

If you’re in VIC - use Wanted Tinting - they’re great, affordable and will talk you through options.

I went with the ceramic tinting at darker than legal and it looks great. 

My car is black, and yeah it does remove SOME of the lines, but it does make it look very good.

The ONLY reason I did it was for heat; it’s cooled the car down A LOT.

I recently just bought the Porsche windscreen cover should I park in the outdoors for a few hours.

On 08/02/2021 at 19:20, KGB said:

Hey @KGB,

I'm also keen to have some chips and also a scratch done. 

If you have someone trusted for the job, do you mind sharing details ?  Happy to PM you instead?

Thanks

I’m talking paint, not touch ups, you?

10 hours ago, luzzo said:

Hey @KGB,

I'm also keen to have some chips and also a scratch done. 

If you have someone trusted for the job, do you mind sharing details ?  Happy to PM you instead?

Thanks

On 08/02/2021 at 17:57, Naldz88 said:

Need to get a few stone chips sorted before then but will likely head to Melb for that. I think @KGB know the guy to see. 

1 hour ago, KGB said:

I’m talking paint, not touch ups, you?

Damn, got on the wrong bus.