Buy a 986 Boxster and stuff in a DeMan 4.5L crate motor for 560hp (500hp at the wheels) and a gearbox with decent ratios.

Paint it that lovely RS grey, carbon wrap the bonnet and anodise a set of after market rims to the cool new blue colour.  Voila, drop top $100k RS beater.

I’m only half joking……😂

calling  @MFX

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a34702957/deman-motorsport-porsche-cayman-gt4-45-liter/

4 minutes ago, DJM said:

Buy a 986 Boxster and stuff in a DeMan 4.5L crate motor for 560hp (500hp at the wheels) and a gearbox with decent ratios.

Paint it that lovely RS grey, carbon wrap the bonnet and anodise a set of after market rims to the cool new blue colour.  Voila, drop top $100k RS beater.

I’m only half joking……😂

calling  @MFX

https://www.roadandtrack.com/car-culture/a34702957/deman-motorsport-porsche-cayman-gt4-45-liter/

The engine swap I am in, but there is no such thing as lovely grey. Lizard green is a much better choice, and of course all carbon wrap should be burned never to taint a car ever again! :P 

I keep speccing up a nice GT3 and it hits 440k.  Similar spec to the GT4RS above….. that’s at 340k drive away.  It’s a massive amount cheaper w same engine, same gearbox, similar wheels and rubber and brakes,  better aero and same seats too…..amazing.  Actually can’t get my head around it yet.  More the higher (over 400)  price of the GT3 than the gt4.  

3 hours ago, DJM said:

I’m only half joking……😂

calling  @MFX

Mate. I used to think that way too. But then you end up chasing cooling systems issues, oil issues, need  better brakes, fry the diff, break the suspension, etc etc every second drive.  Ie. Endless issues and waste your very good life @DJM on crappy car issues.  I now reckon driving a properly engineered car, hard,  ‘there and back’ and enjoying the drives and time w mates better value ‘in life’.  Even the local 4.5 gt4 here has had that engine out and back to USA at least once lately.  Forget it.  My 2c 

4 hours ago, mc968cs said:

I keep speccing up a nice GT3 and it hits 440k.  Similar spec to the GT4RS above….. that’s at 340k drive away.  It’s a massive amount cheaper w same engine, same gearbox, similar wheels and rubber and brakes,  better aero and same seats too…..amazing.  Actually can’t get my head around it yet.  More the higher (over 400)  price of the GT3 than the gt4.  

Mate. I used to think that way too. But then you end up chasing cooling systems issues, oil issues, need  better brakes, fry the diff, break the suspension, etc etc every second drive.  Ie. Endless issues and waste your very good life @DJM on crappy car issues.  I now reckon driving a properly engineered car, hard,  ‘there and back’ and enjoying the drives and time w mates better value ‘in life’.  Even the local 4.5 gt4 here has had that engine out and back to USA at least once lately.  Forget it.  My 2c 

Yeah I wasn’t actually considering it……modified cars are often trouble and I’m not one to tinker and resolve issues myself.   Sold my track car recently partly due to back and forth to workshops regularly.  I’ve gone back to my road reg clubman with bog stock driveline = stress free.

4RS sure looks the business and in my experience, GT4 chassis feels “better” and more intuitive than GT3.  Id have one but not at 400k.  Imagine that into the wall at  Challenge Bathurst 😬🤑

5 hours ago, mc968cs said:

100% agree.   And seems like it should not be crazy getting one as long as you are patient.  Seems like Porsche GT car new car prices are trying to close the gap to other brands.

18 hours ago, reedminor said:

A wonderful car I’m sure …. But it’s the Boxster Spyder that is really appealing to me.

Agreed, its a cracking car.  A "RS" type treatment on one would be another level again, though I suspect price could be eye watering considering how much the Speedster was. 

On 19/11/2021 at 22:37, reedminor said:

A wonderful car I’m sure …. But it’s the Boxster Spyder that is really appealing to me.

Justin - As an owner of an original Spyder - it has the be one of the best drives out there but I couldn't agree more - the new one is soooo appealing ......

On 20/11/2021 at 07:30, MFX said:

The engine swap I am in, but there is no such thing as lovely grey. Lizard green is a much better choice, and of course all carbon wrap should be burned never to taint a car ever again! :P 

@MFX - A man after my own heart!

On 20/11/2021 at 10:51, mc968cs said:

Its funny what a bit of perspective (age????) can do - I used to be all over the engine swap/highly modified thing - now a lightly modded example floats my boat much more - or just a "few" newer factory Porsche bits to personalise/enhance what is already there.....

@spiller Nice spec - and lets be honest - would be no slower with that spec - and looks GReat in GR - Do it!

Just go in with a chq book, put your name down - and ring every week!

I think when the GT3's start being delivered and the GT3RS is announced - they will become available as some ppl drop off??

Yeah the configurator doesn’t have the bonnet option still. Much like there still isn’t any info on “the watch”

Hopefully before build time all those details are sorted out. Not holding my breath on them starting Aus builds before mid next year.

The configurator is actually broken. I can’t actually put in the spec I ordered - it actually breaks the config lol

Don't know if you guys notice but often when a new model debuts the options open up over time. Whether it is just Porsche trying to get the early orders out of the factory faster or what, who knows?

On 21/11/2021 at 09:06, Snowman said:

92AFC20A-0448-4E6D-898D-535433FBE101.jpeg

This is the interior I'll be going with if i get the call.

4 hours ago, sleazius said:

Don't know if you guys notice but often when a new model debuts the options open up over time. Whether it is just Porsche trying to get the early orders out of the factory faster or what, who knows?

This is the interior I'll be going with if i get the call.

That interior colour looks sensational and surprisingly seems to work well with a number of the exterior colour options.

5 minutes ago, spiller said:

That interior colour looks sensational and surprisingly seems to work well with a number of the exterior colour options.

I agree - seems to go with a lot of the available choices. Did result in me changing my exterior colour choice though. Will have to at least see photos of my original choice before I'd commit to it.

39 minutes ago, Raven said:

Will be interesting and great to see if anyone on this site gets an allocation ...?

I would assume several will. Soon as the GT3 RS opens for orders interest will die down. You'll also have a boat of people on the list who find out the price and decide against it. I know a couple of people on the list that were expecting a $300k optioned up list price, not a $400k one.

1 hour ago, Raven said:

Will be interesting and great to see if anyone on this site gets an allocation ...?

What I have been told by a Porsche Centre SA is that they're not limited by a set number of units, but time... if they cannot build enough units in the production window to meet the order books, people will effectively miss out... so it will all come down to their capacity to procure materials and build units... with the rapidly deteriorating global supply chain issues, who bloody knows now, in 6 months or in 2023?  

On 20/11/2021 at 18:09, spiller said:

Now, someone tell me how best I should approach my dealer 🤣. Seriously though, I’m not on any lists. 

Drive the Cup car to your local Porsche Centre... it's not too far ;) 

My impression is in Australia the high $ caymans are not really a value proposition, unlike say US, so whilst there might be initial demand I would have thought you'd be able to get one towards the end of the production cycle.

I priced one up and my config came to $371k which in the big scheme of things is not too far off a new GT3, which really has the technical improvements including suspension, better LSD, rws, etc. So I suspect a lot of Porsche enthusiasts in this price point will lean towards the GT3, unless they are specifically Cayman fans or budget constrained. So I think the real attraction here is the GT3 engine and PDK gearing. 

Having turned my 718 GTS into a track car over the past year or so with still more to spend, I would be very tempted to get an RS oneday which I'm sure is one of the best track cars out of the box, but just need some financial wizardry to get me there. 😎