The Pet thread

Vas

She was a beauty for sure, Niko.  I've known a few Shepards that have been wonderful pets. I'd have one but swmbo won't allow it.  Something about the mother in law is scared of them and wouldn't visit if we had one. I didn't think that was such a problem.

I'd be getting two in then if that was the case.   To be sure to be sure...:P

Terrible news Harv's, losing a a pet is like saying goodbye to a family member, we are loving our second Jack Russell, Shelby, yes after the famous man. Our youngest son named her back in the day when he was loving the Mustang's.

20160225_164001.jpg

Just chilling with her dad.

• 3 months later...

My Jack Russell just turned 13, been hit by a car and survived 3 pretty horrible paralysis ticks, starting to go deaf and maybe she needs glasses now.:D

Good for her, she is a survivor;)....and her name....is it "lucky":P

Never thought I'd post in a pet thread , anyway.

This designer dog is at least 1 /2 intelligent in that he's 1/2 poodle ; the rest is maltese shitzu so I guess overall a shitpoo?

12 years old and still just as healthy & active as when he was a puppy. Rushes outside multiple times each night chasing native animals. 

Even though he's going a bit grey and the eyes are starting to age a bit , he's pretty sharp.

There is the Dr Jekyll side and everyone adores this fluffball (tip for teenage buys , take your fluffy pet dog for a walk and the girls will flock around).

Then there is the Mr Hyde. Yesterday morning I went to pick up the newspaper and he spotted and killed a pademelon (small wallaby) in about 15 seconds. No mean feat as these are bigger than him , with a powerful kick and claws. We left him standing guard for around 1/2 hour , feral and shaking with excitement. Decided the safest option was to remove the deceased animal with a shovel. Toby proceeded to attack and bite said shovel. Wife had to spray him with freezing water for about 15 seconds before he backed off.

I've seen humans go feral with very little provocation, esp with a glass or two on board. So it's reasonable a dog who lives in the bush should resort to his hundt side. 

Let's face it , all cats are out hunting whenever left to their own devices. Dogs will like humans do what comes naturally or what they think they can get away with.

He survived being hit by a car when a pup ; now wears a perimeter collar that has kept him alive.

Apart from murdering wildlife , he's a friendly and fun little fella who doesn't steal , roll in poo or shed hair. 

TBMF.jpg

TBMF2.jpg

Mine likes to kill things every now and then as well unfortunately but she is a natural born killer i guess being a Jack Russell.

She can sniff out a mouse or a rat or an insect from 40 paces and even caught a minor bird once when she was younger, she hates the possums and they like to taunt her running along the top of the fence looking down at her.

She tells us when the washing is finished and used to hear the kids getting off the bus from school 600mtrs away and sit at the front door waiting for them.

• 4 weeks later...

IMG_1030_zpsa4zbyaoa.jpg

So here we have Ziggy, the Large Munsterlander, who is now just turning 10 years old and who came over from the UK with us. 

IMG_1671_zpscnduhayi.jpg

And this is Harry, an English Springer Spaniel, who is 2 years old (and my eldest daughter, but she isn't a pet...)

The 2 dogs are inseparable and best mates.

Edited by Simon Nelson

Munsterlander is a cool dog Simon, my mate has a small Munsterlander, he is training him as a bird (hunting) dog. Don't suppose you used to go bird hunting?

image1_zpsp46tvyvc.jpg

Wow. I have known about Small Munsterlanders but have never seen one. There were none known of in the UK. The funny thing is that the Small Munsterlander is the "original" breed and besides them being smaller, they are liver and white. The Large breed came about because of the number of puppies that were born black and white which therefore didn't meet the breed standard. Now the Large variety is the more common, even in their home country (Germany).

I have had 3 Large Munsterlanders over the years. My first pair were trained as a pair, although I didn't shoot. It was more for the fun of the obedience side of things. It was a lot easier in the UK because there are no leach restrictions so you can walk dogs anywhere off leach. My favorite trick was to get the 2 dogs to sit, walk off about 250 metres and call them so they would run fast to me. Then, after about 50 metres I would get one dog to flop down and stay, while the other kept going. After another 50 metres, I would get the other dog to stop and the first to run, relaying like that back to me. Best time to do it was when somebody was struggling to get their dog to come back. :D It was a fair amount of work and you need space. Before kids and living next to one of London's great open spaces (Wimbledon Common) made things easier while here, I don't have the space or time.

I have not seen any either aside from this one, this little guy lives in South Carolina ^^ my mate who has him had to go on a waiting list for quite some time and then go all the way to Kansas to get him.. so that is telling about how rare they are! But you are right on obedience training, they crave it. 

• 11 months later...

This is my Samoyed Kayley,  She gets to ride in the car when she's clean.

tallangattalookout.JPG

Luckily that's most of the time.

dirty.jpg

Sammys rule!

This is our old girl, Sealy, now passed...

i-2ft2QMS-L.jpg

And the boy, Ari, now 4...

i-GdBXRwb-L.jpg

i-HHh7sFc-L.jpg

i-fcRJPB5-L.jpg

And the (now) 2 year old girl, Mia

i-B4N2bLs-L.jpg

i-qLrMWjF-L.jpg

i-NvFLkkQ-L.jpg

We've given up fighting the white fur everywhere...!