Frank, you have a seldom found gem there. And it looks a fuchin treat! Whilst a sporto doesn't do it for the masses there is a buyer out there for your car without a doubt and at a reasonable price. The masses also will apply the import $$$ deduction in their minds but to the right buyer it wont matter (as much).

By the looks of the car it will drive and present beautifully for a vintage Porker and I think the best way to get your best dollar is consignment or similar. I know CS etc doesn't do it for you with the tyre kickers but it's a necessary hassle to put up with a private sale and will unearth a buyer when the price from each side is right. Auction will probably find a buyer at your right price but maybe not. Auction buyers don't get to PPI it, don't get to drive it, can't see it on a hoist and just hear it running and all in a limited timeframe and setting. An effective way to sell a cheap to fair car that wont stand up to the utmost scrutiny.

I think present the car the best way for the gem that it is. Let a professional have the hassle of dealing with the punters, it can be PPI'ed, driven, hoisted, extensively inspected and anything else, and that will be an important handful of your cars best points, and a good salesman will clinch the $$$ for you.

I'd suggest a visit to The Healey Factory and a chat with Rob. He's a top bloke and very realistic to achieve a fair to top dollar sale. He has a tremendous diverse range on the floor and looks for first class vehicles for sales. I don't know how the consignment type of sale works there  but it does.

Beautifully presented car however you guys are over estimating the demand for sportos... there is none zero. 
import is less of an issue with this vintage.  
Early 100k I’m afraid 

1 hour ago, Mik001 said:

Beautifully presented car however you guys are over estimating the demand for sportos... there is none zero. 
import is less of an issue with this vintage.  
Early 100k I’m afraid 

I think early 100k would have people lining up. Mid to high 100s is more likely. Good shape, factory rhd, all original, good colour. 

your estimate of the demand for sportos is incorrect, I would buy this and wold happily own a sporto longhood. So change your estimate to 0 + 1

Fantastic looking car and as @Troubleshooter said maybe consignment is the way to go,I’d take no notice of the low 100k estimate that for me is worth quite a bit more it just takes time.

I think most people have no idea what a sporto actually is. I always thought it was just Porsche's name for an automatic. Sporto is much more fun than a regular auto, but you will obviously take a hit on price over a manual, and you really need someone who knows exactly what it is. In my my opinion a $200k classic is not something that generally flies off the shelf unless it is a bargain and 2 weeks is not enough time. Keep advertising and limit drives to professional PPI's. If it is as good as you say, it will sell. If it sits, it is either condition or price.

On 27/02/2021 at 22:11, Troubleshooter said:

Frank, you have a seldom found gem there. And it looks a fuchin treat! Whilst a sporto doesn't do it for the masses there is a buyer out there for your car without a doubt and at a reasonable price. The masses also will apply the import $$$ deduction in their minds but to the right buyer it wont matter (as much).

By the looks of the car it will drive and present beautifully for a vintage Porker and I think the best way to get your best dollar is consignment or similar. I know CS etc doesn't do it for you with the tyre kickers but it's a necessary hassle to put up with a private sale and will unearth a buyer when the price from each side is right. Auction will probably find a buyer at your right price but maybe not. Auction buyers don't get to PPI it, don't get to drive it, can't see it on a hoist and just hear it running and all in a limited timeframe and setting. An effective way to sell a cheap to fair car that wont stand up to the utmost scrutiny.

I think present the car the best way for the gem that it is. Let a professional have the hassle of dealing with the punters, it can be PPI'ed, driven, hoisted, extensively inspected and anything else, and that will be an important handful of your cars best points, and a good salesman will clinch the $$$ for you.

I'd suggest a visit to The Healey Factory and a chat with Rob. He's a top bloke and very realistic to achieve a fair to top dollar sale. He has a tremendous diverse range on the floor and looks for first class vehicles for sales. I don't know how the consignment type of sale works there  but it does.

Following on from your feedback and from others, it seems that the common thought is that auctions are not the right place, as it doesn't allow people to test drive the car, which in this case is an attribute of the car as it drives very well. Instead, some have suggested private sale and just expect it to be a bit of hard work and dealing with tyre kickers. Others have suggested a company like Summon, where the car is still on the private market, but they handle the calls, inspections and sale. Then, like you mentioned, some suggest dealers can work well for a good car, because people can put it up on a hoist and drive the car. 

What I might do is try an auction with a decent reserve; if it sells well then all good, if it doesn't sell well then nothing lost and I try one of the other options.  I would then either choose a dealer (and agree with you that the Healey Factory would be a good option) or Summon.

So, the choice would then be dealer versus private sale (though Summon). 

Opening up the question, do early Porsche buyers prefer buying through a dealer or prefer buying private?

If I know the person, or they are on PFA, private.  Unknown source, dealer wins for me.

I guess the one thing you want to avoid is going to auction, then having it sit with a dealer if it passes in.  That happened with a GT4 recently, and it just puts a bad smell on the car.