944, 924 to purchase

Diclofenac

20 hours ago, Diclofenac said:

Wow this group is really helpful. I appreciate everyone's feedback/insight. S2 sounds like a good idea, although they are probably slightly out of my price range presently.

I really don't know much about the 944 or 924.

Quite an ironic statement. This holds for now then you find a cheap car that you think is pretty good, old mate tells you how good it "was" under his ownership, you now buy it and after a couple of months the oil leaks start, the interior trim bits start breaking, the AC stops working so you need a new AC compressor, the AC controller stops as well, the balance shaft belt along with the timing belt needs doing and you may as well do the water pump while you have it opened up, oh, i forgot about the belly pan gasket. Ask me how i know all this;) 

Not trying to scare you but this is what can happen if you buy a car that someone has deferred maintenance on and you end up copping it. In my opinion the S2 is the pick of these cars unless you can afford a Turbo S. 

Do your research, save as much money as you can and buy the best car you can afford. Talk to as many mechanics as you can as well, always got plenty of information for you, maybe give Bruce Buchannan a call as there is nothing he doesn't know about these cars.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1990-porsche-944-s2-manual/SSE-AD-7148907/?Cr=2

haha ya this is what I'm trying to avoid. Hence why I'll do my best to only pick up a really good one or just buy a cheaper car for now and save up until I'm ready to buy something higher quality.

I will call Bruce before making a decision thanks!

Yes this is car I've been looking at but as I said I might just hold off for a bit. I'm a dentistry student now but graduating this year so I should be able to save up a bit of money shortly.

Thanks!

3 hours ago, Diclofenac said:

haha ya this is what I'm trying to avoid. Hence why I'll do my best to only pick up a really good one or just buy a cheaper car for now and save up until I'm ready to buy something higher quality.

Yes this is car I've been looking at but as I said I might just hold off for a bit. I'm a dentistry student now but graduating this year so I should be able to save up a bit of money shortly.

Thanks!

Cheap cars don't stay cheap for long, even Hyundai's  

Welcome aboard , I have sent you a PM

4 hours ago, Diclofenac said:

Thanks!

Dentistry eh, well done, won't be long you will be able to buy whatever you want, my dentist's have a string of cars.

Thanks Rickie and very true!

Ya dent should be good (it better be - the last 2 years are $63k tuition per year at Griffith) and it’s very physically demanding work. I’m planning to do medicine right away if I can get in too (poor for life haha) I’m a serial student unfortunately. :( I was in the army for 5 years, and an electrical engineer previously.

• 2 weeks later...

My 2c.

I've owned a couple of Pcars now and have come to the conclusion that the 924 turbo is the most difficult Porsche to own.  Why?  Relatively technical car, with technology that most people don't understand.  Near impossible to find a mechanic who has any idea about them.  Some parts are difficult (or impossible) to find ... unlike other classic Pcars, the 924 revival is on a slow burn (seems to be happening though) so there's not the same support that's available for 911 etc.  Other possible contender would be the 928 .. suspect 924 turbo would pip it though. 

These cars are now at the age where essentially everything needs to be replaced.  The weird parts that I've had to replace during my ownership has certainly allowed me to bond with the car.  Just in the last few weeks my radiator cooling fan has started to squeal ... not a big job however will probably require a part to be purchased from OS. 

The positives - if you get one, you will have one of the rarest Pcars around.  I'm a car spotter and I can't recall the last 924 I saw out in the wild. The 924T provides lots of rare 1980 performance car fun.  Even though they will require maintenance mine hasn't tended to break down where I've had to walk.  Last little while it has as it's developed a strange fault where it runs perfectly for days .. then just stops (few times in the middle of a busy intersection).   Wait a few minutes and it works fine again .... welcome to the world of classic car ownership. 

My only recommendation is that you should only buy the Pcar that really floats your boat.  If you truly want a 911 ... don't get a transaxle.  Considering the amount of love you'll need to give, you might as well buy something that stirs your heart.  If that is a 924/944 I'll welcome you to this very exclusive (prestige increased greatly after Jason left) Pcar club.  If you are just keen to get a cheaper Porsche to enjoy some driving in the hills, I'd buy a Boxster.  Great little cars, faster, easier to live with and a low risk passage into Pcars. 

7 hours ago, bear924 said:

My 2c.

I've owned a couple of Pcars now and have come to the conclusion that the 924 turbo is the most difficult Porsche to own.  Why?  Relatively technical car, with technology that most people don't understand.  Near impossible to find a mechanic who has any idea about them.  Some parts are difficult (or impossible) to find ... unlike other classic Pcars, the 924 revival is on a slow burn (seems to be happening though) so there's not the same support that's available for 911 etc.  Other possible contender would be the 928 .. suspect 924 turbo would pip it though. 

These cars are now at the age where essentially everything needs to be replaced.  The weird parts that I've had to replace during my ownership has certainly allowed me to bond with the car.  Just in the last few weeks my radiator cooling fan has started to squeal ... not a big job however will probably require a part to be purchased from OS. 

The positives - if you get one, you will have one of the rarest Pcars around.  I'm a car spotter and I can't recall the last 924 I saw out in the wild. The 924T provides lots of rare 1980 performance car fun.  Even though they will require maintenance mine hasn't tended to break down where I've had to walk.  Last little while it has as it's developed a strange fault where it runs perfectly for days .. then just stops (few times in the middle of a busy intersection).   Wait a few minutes and it works fine again .... welcome to the world of classic car ownership. 

My only recommendation is that you should only buy the Pcar that really floats your boat.  If you truly want a 911 ... don't get a transaxle.  Considering the amount of love you'll need to give, you might as well buy something that stirs your heart.  If that is a 924/944 I'll welcome you to this very exclusive (prestige increased greatly after Jason left) Pcar club.  If you are just keen to get a cheaper Porsche to enjoy some driving in the hills, I'd buy a Boxster.  Great little cars, faster, easier to live with and a low risk passage into Pcars. 

@Diclofenac

@bear924

Well, well well.....there's a lot to unpack here.  Firstly wise words re the 924T from a longterm owner.  Secondly a somewhat savage burn on one of the nicest PFA members that has ever graced this electronic medium (ie - me).  I wouldn't have thought you had it in you Bear, it made me LOL.  So much so that my wife asked me to share the joke - she thinks you're mean.

Long term you'll spend the cost of a good 996 & a great Boxster bringing a transaxle back to spec (depending on your taste of course).

30 minutes ago, bear924 said:

Sorry Jason @Jason E, it just my insecurities coming through.  As a 996.1 owner, those of you with fancy wancy series two cars and associated cup holders just put me on the defensive.  

@bear924 don't be ridiculous Wayne.  You've no need to be insecure around me & my 996.2.  I always adjust my expectations accordingly when we're together & thus am never disappointed. 😀.

2 minutes ago, Jason E said:

@bear924 don't be ridiculous Wayne.  You've no need to be insecure around me & my 996.2.  I always adjust my expectations accordingly when we're together & thus am never disappointed. 😀.

Ps - I've ordered several different breeds of cupholder & will be flaunting them shortly in a post designed to make me seem even more superior to the rest of the 996.1 community.  You're welcome. 

9 hours ago, bear924 said:

Last little while it has as it's developed a strange fault where it runs perfectly for days .. then just stops (few times in the middle of a busy intersection).   Wait a few minutes and it works fine again ....

If it just dies and then starts again after a few minutes, have you tried replacing the DME relay?

If they are starting to go they can cause on/off issues (mine did recently), when they heat up they can get cranky...........would be a cheap fix if it solved your problem

Don't want to high jack the thread however in my attempt to find this particular gremlin I've:

- Replaced the DME twice (more original spare was a little old so thought perhaps....)

- Replaced the coil

- Replaced the ignition key switch (these can tend to crack and cause intermittent stopping ... mine wasn't cracked ... didn't stop intermittent stopping)

- Removed the relay board and check for loose wires etc behind.  

- Checked wire tension around fuel pump.  

- Did some fault finding during one stop.  In short the fuel relay is not getting its trigger signal.  This comes from the coil .  

My suspicion is that my digital ignition controller (or sensor (which are NLA)) may be the cause.  Reading suggest that if it's a ignition problem I won't see the tacho move when trying to start car.  Today I killed the fuel and tried starting and indeed there is a small bounce.  Grand plan is to go out driving again and wait for it to stop and see if it still bounces when the car won't start.  Challenge is that I can drive the car all day and it won't fail once ... then the next day I drive it and it stops a couple of times in the hour.  Sometimes it stops and takes a few minutes to fix itself .. other times it will restart while rolling to a stop.  

This thread has suggested I need to reduce my focus on this and instead work on installing some cupholders ... Jason seems to have thrown down the gauntlet .

43 minutes ago, bear924 said:

Challenge is that I can drive the car all day and it won't fail once ... then the next day I drive it and it stops a couple of times in the hour.  Sometimes it stops and takes a few minutes to fix itself .. 

Aaah the joy of old car ownership...an utter "I'm going to burn it" pain in the arse at times

3 hours ago, brian in buddina said:

Hey Wayne

Just think when you eventually find your stoppage issue or issues you will feel very pleased with yourself! All the pain will fade away!

And until then .... 🤬🤬🤬😭😢🥵🤯😤🤬🤬🤬🤬