Jump to content
spiller

My 996 Cup vs a GT2RS at The Bend

Recommended Posts

I put a little snippet up on Instagram that some may have seen but this is another video. This was from the “Porsche Nationals” last weekend. The 996 cup may be an old stinky race car but the cornering capabilities on fresh slicks are sublime and the driving engagement is very addictive. I am in love with this car!

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I had a few good tangles with a 2RS at Wakefield park late last year at a super sprint round ,, the driver wasn,t that capable in the corners , but when he got on the short back straight and main straight it was like a saturn 5 rocket ,,WoW did it go in a straight line serious power and performance . Great Video Spiller enjoyed that :Beer:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Very nice

What?  No flat shifting?  Man up!

Took me back ... 

The 996 Cup is a great car.  Takes skill and balls to make them go fast.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

  It was great to watch you on track, and the car sounded brilliant.

Great job Simon 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

On song! Nice work 👌 the 996 Cup is a fantastic car to drive, really involving once you ring it’s neck... but equally enjoyed when at 95%

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Raven said:

I had a few good tangles with a 2RS at Wakefield park late last year at a super sprint round ,, the driver wasn,t that capable in the corners , but when he got on the short back straight and main straight it was like a saturn 5 rocket ,,WoW did it go in a straight line serious power and performance . Great Video Spiller enjoyed that :Beer:

They certainly get up and go. 2RS is approx 30 kph quicker down the main straight than the 996 cup!
 

59 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

Very nice

What?  No flat shifting?  Man up!

Took me back ... 

The 996 Cup is a great car.  Takes skill and balls to make them go fast.  

More than happy to forgo a few tenths out of respect for the synchros. Flat shifting is cool though! Was that common place when you raced them back in the early cup challenge days?

 

55 minutes ago, LeeM said:

  It was great to watch you on track, and the car sounded brilliant.

Great job Simon 👍

Thanks Lee had a blast out there last weekend.

5 minutes ago, James P said:

On song! Nice work 👌 the 996 Cup is a fantastic car to drive, really involving once you ring it’s neck... but equally enjoyed when at 95%

Thanks James and very true. These cars are so engaging that even cruising around paddock is fun 😀

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, spiller said:

 These cars are so engaging that even cruising around paddock is fun 

 Even with a kid on your lap it seems 😅

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, spiller said:

More than happy to forgo a few tenths out of respect for the synchros. Flat shifting is cool though! Was that common place when you raced them back in the early cup challenge days?

 

I flat shifted my GT3’s right from the time I started in Australian GT.  Synchro‘s were considered a consumable!  The 2nd to 3rd shift was always stressful.  Get it wrong and you either got 5th or worse still, 1st ...

Its cool to do and over the course of an average lap was worth around 3/4 of a second.  The received wisdom is that at full bore it’s worth a 10th per shift.

The Cup motors make such a glorious sound

You go alright BTW ... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
28 minutes ago, Skidmarks said:

I flat shifted my GT3’s right from the time I started in Australian GT.  Synchro‘s were considered a consumable!  The 2nd to 3rd shift was always stressful.  Get it wrong and you either got 5th or worse still, 1st ...

Its cool to do and over the course of an average lap was worth around 3/4 of a second.  The received wisdom is that at full bore it’s worth a 10th per shift.

The Cup motors make such a glorious sound

You go alright BTW ... 

Thanks Skid. If everyone else is doing it...3/4 sec is huge when racing for sheep stations! Michael was telling me about it all when I bought the car, synchros lasting 3 rounds etc etc. Even though I don’t flat shift it, potentially finding the wrong gear is always in the back of my mind, knock on wood nothing bad has come of it but the clutch set up does not like slow gear shifts so you’ve definitely got to be very deliberate and have bit of faith with the gearbox action. At the end of the day I love H pattern so it’s all part of the challenge but bloody hell it’s taxing on a hot day when you only do it a handful of times per year. Those guys who raced 3 hour stints in the old H pattern 996RS cars at Le Mans must have been iron men.

8 hours ago, LeeM said:

 Even with a kid on your lap it seems 😅

For ages the oldest has been asking when she can go for a ride in the race car, fuel stop seemed like a good opportunity 😃

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

After watching that I realise I'm taking bike lines around that track in the car, old habits are hard to break.

Interesting that you do turns 14/15 in 3rd and didn't come out doughy.

Great video to learn from being a novice driver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Shedpest said:

After watching that I realise I'm taking bike lines around that track in the car, old habits are hard to break.

Interesting that you do turns 14/15 in 3rd and didn't come out doughy.

Great video to learn from being a novice driver.

@Shedpest What do you mean by doughy? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Love it 👌🏻
 

does your old man still have the 996 GT2?  Stuff that engine in your cup car and stick it to the 2RS down the straight 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shedpest said:

Doughy, coming out of a corner feeling like it is not on the boil/ low in the rev range/ not in the go zone.

Ah makes sense! Yep the gearing is pretty short in the cup car compared to the road going GT3s (your 997 would be similar to my 996, which is loooong). Actually have to be careful with the loud pedal going through that complex in the cup car as it lights them up sometimes, especially in the middle of 15 if yo get on it too early when the tyres are past it. I reckon that's the most technical part of the lap going through 14/15/16.

 

12 hours ago, DJM said:

Love it 👌🏻
 

does your old man still have the 996 GT2?  Stuff that engine in your cup car and stick it to the 2RS down the straight 😂

He does! Shit, that would be fun 😤

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Shedpest said:

Doughy, coming out of a corner feeling like it is not on the boil/ low in the rev range/ not in the go zone.

Try upping your corner speed digger 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Shedpest said:

Doughy, coming out of a corner feeling like it is not on the boil/ low in the rev range/ not in the go zone.

 Cup gearing would be shorter I imagine

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
31 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

Try upping your corner speed digger 

As well as ..... grow some balls, brake later into turns 1, 6 and 17, get on the gas harder out of said corners, hug the curb around turn 7, and remember to dab some brakes before turn 18 so you don't end up in the in-field.

Yep all over it

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Gee the 2RS really pulls away from you out of each corner and on the straight, but you catch him every time on the brakes and through the bends. Amazing driving. I'd shit myself going that fast in a straight line. :)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Nikos said:

Gee the 2RS really pulls away from you out of each corner and on the straight

The difference in outright acceleration & speed of a 991GT3 (.1 or .2) compared to a 996GT3 is also staggering. Cars & Cabernet in Jan saw many of these P GT cars on the track together. 

Good times 😍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Shedpest said:

and remember to dab some brakes before turn 18 so you don't end up in the in-field.

Yep all over it

  Is that from experience? 🤔😁

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, LeeM said:

  Is that from experience? 🤔😁

No comment

Isn't there a saying about ambition outweighing talent

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, Shedpest said:

No comment

Isn't there a saying about ambition outweighing talent

 Talent is only gained by ambition mate. Nothing ventured, nothing gained 😁👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, LeeM said:

 Talent is only gained by ambition mate. Nothing ventured, nothing gained 😁👍

Dunno mate I know  plenty of folk with heaps of ambition and they will never have any real talent, And the other  hand I know folk that are as slak, Don't give a shxt folk that can drive, Ride turn shxt into gold type of folk, And don't they give me the shxts :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 Fair point @tomo

S'pose being naturally gifted in everything I do, I just expect everyone else to be the same 😁🙄

 If ya don't have a go, you'll never know 👍

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

PFA [Porsche Forum Australia]

This is an online platform for like-minded Porsche fans/fanatics/tragics to come together to read, chat and share.

It is also a platform to arrange and participate in off-line social meet-ups, events and drives.

×
×
  • Create New...