Any C2 Corvette Enthusiasts Here?

On 09/05/2021 at 09:39, Peter M said:

Oh Brian!

I'm certainly not here to defend the entire production run of this car as there are many moments best forgotten. For me, my personal opinion, the versions before and after the C2 are those ones.   As I've said before C3's are far too Dirk Diggerly for me.  There is a deliberate reason why I specifically called this thread "Any C2 Corvette Enthusiasts Here?"

I agree that there have been periods where the "Vette is the antithesis of the 911" but for you to make a sweeping statement like that indicates an ignorance of possibly both Corvettes and 911's.  Whilst I'm obviously a 911 enthusiast, I'm certainly not blind to the foibles of the various series and have my favorites and are also clear about ones that I wouldn't touch with a barge pole.  Similarly I think its unhelpful to lump all Corvette's together too.

As for the space in front of the engine in Corvette's, that originated from Arkus -Duntov deliberately shifted the engine rearwards from the front axle line for improved mass centralisation in the C2's.   Arkus-Duntov was also very clear that his favorite C2's were the small block ones

I think of myself as a "car person" not exclusively a Porsche person as life is too short to arbitrarily cut off exposure to other equally good or better (!) motoring experiences.   You're welcome to have a drive of my 911 on our next State of Origin run, just like you'll be welcome to drive my C2 if I ever manage to get one. 

Next time we catch up I'll also tell you about my first Jaguar and how I'm itching to get another to create "my" perfect garage of a 911, a C2 and a XJR. 

Although I have another mate suggesting I should buy a Bentley Continental GT.  That would be the antithesis of an air cooled 911!

Sorry for the thread hijack above Peter.

Absolutely agree, there's no comparison between 911's and Corvettes, chalk n cheese generally. They are sports cars and both had various success in different styles of racing over the mid 60's but that's about where the similarity stops. The C2 era was an absolute sweet spot for corvettes and the build quality overall was very good compared to general US cars of the 60's. C2 was all blunt force, raw horsepower and a heavy car that handled and stopped like shit whereas 911s of the same era are lightweight, small and a precision tool in comparison. Both are sex on wheels though!

6 minutes ago, LeeM said:

@Troubleshooter I should rephrase that...when I saw it in a magazine, though I reckon it was at Philip Island Kustom nationals when I was in Victoria for the Day of VW show. Don't ask me when, but maybe 2013-14? 

Yes that's the show I had it at. You made me go back and have a good look at the date I sold it and was actually early 2012. One rod was enough, had to scratch that itch 👍

6 hours ago, Troubleshooter said:

Yes that's the show I had it at. You made me go back and have a good look at the date I sold it and was actually early 2012. One rod was enough, had to scratch that itch 👍

I was half pissed most of the day, but I reckon I might have spoken to you about it 😅

I considered swapping my 911 for a glass '32 coupe last year to also scratch the hot rod itch...probably a bad idea that one 😁

Sorry for thread hijack @Peter M 🙄

C2s are cool.  I like all corvettes.  You’ve got to appreciate a car for what it is, the market it was sold for and what it meant to the people who bought and drove them.  It has always been the American sports car and Americans took the easy route of big engines nicked from trucks and luxury barges.  So you get a car that goes like hell, sounds awesome and handles and stops so-so.  Whatever, the numbers game and top trumps are for nerds.  Is it cool? Does it make you smile ?  If so, great!  Corvettes always make me smile.

I actually tried to buy one once (c4) but it was going to be my only transport and they are woefully impractical.

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, tomo said:

Beautiful with just enough patina!

After talking myself away from one last month I'm back this week looking at the classifieds and the C2 Buyers guides...

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

Beautiful with just enough patina!

After talking myself away from one last month I'm back this week looking at the classifieds and the C2 Buyers guides...

Bit of a mix up in the blurb saying its a convertible?  , But agree nice looking C2.

• 10 months later...