WTB 987.2 Cayman S, Cayman S Black Edition or Cayman R

Yeatesy

14 minutes ago, Yeatesy said:

Was it the white one with a few nice options in Melbourne?

It’s the black one from NSW - similar kms and specs to the white one in Melbourne, from memory the one in Melbourne has PSE and multi functioning steering wheel and mine has PASM and sports design steering wheel. The seller was also very kind to fix a few things so the warranty is reinstated before the changeover.

11 minutes ago, SpaceKitty111 said:

It’s the black one from NSW - similar kms and specs to the white one in Melbourne, from memory the one in Melbourne has PSE and multi functioning steering wheel and mine has PASM and sports design steering wheel. The seller was also very kind to fix a few things so the warranty is reinstated before the changeover.

Sounds awesome, congratulations 👏 

41 minutes ago, Yeatesy said:

And the search continues, I was the highest bidder with 10 seconds to go on the Cayman 981 S with Collecting Cars but my bank didn’t like the $4,800 transaction in Great Briton and stopped my card so I’ve missed it 😞

Oh, sorry to hear… saw it sold and was wondering if it was you 🥲 another one will surely come up though!

6 minutes ago, SpaceKitty111 said:

Oh, sorry to hear… saw it sold and was wondering if it was you 🥲 another one will surely come up though!

@SpaceKitty111 cheers, part of the fun is trying to find the next car isn’t it?, I’ve moved on from being disappointed to being optimistic that something better will come up ☺️

10 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

@SpaceKitty111 cheers, part of the fun is trying to find the next car isn’t it?, I’ve moved on from being disappointed to being optimistic that something better will come up ☺️

I’m surprised you went after that despite the struggles you were having with getting it inspected…

12 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

And the search continues, I was the highest bidder with 10 seconds to go on the Cayman 981 S with Collecting Cars but my bank didn’t like the $4,800 transaction in Great Briton and stopped my card so I’ve missed it 😞

Ugh, that's frustrating.

31 minutes ago, JLD said:

I’m surprised you went after that despite the struggles you were having with getting it inspected…

I’d purchased my 3 previous P Cars without PPI’s & they were all perfect so I decided to trust my gut feel which is usually spot on with cars. 

• 2 weeks later...

After missing out on the manual 981 S with Collecting Cars and not seeing a single manual 987.2 S an opportunity has come up to buy a 987.2 S with PDK. 

The 987.1 S manual I had was such a brilliant and engaging car to drive so I really wanted another manual but I’m not sure I’ll find one so I’d love to hear other Cayman owners thoughts on this model with PDK v’s manual in terms of driving enjoyment? 

1 hour ago, Yeatesy said:

After missing out on the manual 981 S with Collecting Cars and not seeing a single manual 987.2 S an opportunity has come up to buy a 987.2 S with PDK. 

The 987.1 S manual I had was such a brilliant and engaging car to drive so I really wanted another manual but I’m not sure I’ll find one so I’d love to hear other Cayman owners thoughts on this model with PDK v’s manual in terms of driving enjoyment? 

Wait for a Manual. 

There is no substitute. 

I can't speak regarding the Cayman, but having owned both an E46 M3 CSL manual and an E46 M3 flappy paddle I can say hand on heart that the manual was far more enjoyable. Yes, the PDK is light years ahead of the E46 unit, but even so I think the comparison stands as the manual will be more engaging. I could be wrong, but I think resale will be better with the manual too, no? I don't know, tough call. I'd be inclined to not compromise but that's easier said than done when you're anxiously waiting to get your hands on something. 

10 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

I'm Happy to chime in on this and provide some thoughts and my personal experience.

Firstly if you are of the absolute belief that only a manual is for you then there really is no point reading on! 

If your motivation is that you want the manual as it's a "Badge of honour" again don't read on!

So with those caveats set, I do not wish to go down the rabbit hole that is "PDK v's Manual" and the ensuring 30 page debate!

I have driven manual clutch transmissions all my life, auto's were always a compromise they were slower, less responsive, less engaging and an overall dull experience connected via a horrible torque converter. Yes some are a lot better than others but they all provide drive through a torque converter, so you are always going to have a "dulled off" experience.

I would NEVER consider an Automatic transmission for any sports car!

Friend purchases a new PDK equipped Porsche, early PDK example. Throws me the keys and says give this a try, righto not sure why you purchased an "auto" but lets go.

Well..... initially my impression was this thing is quick... real quick the changes are instant....it got my attention! Ok Porsche I'm now listening.

Play with this a little more and I recall vividly the first time I powered up Mt Donna, manual selection mode enabled, sports plus mode enabled the gear shifts are astonishing seriously powerful stuff. You keep your right foot planted, click up on the paddle and instantly and I really mean instantly you feel a firm push back in the seat as the car goes up a gear and once again returns the engine to it's optimal power/torque range, changing down is as instant with the added bonus that you cannot overrev the engine.

In manual override selection mode it allows a lot of control over the gearbox, however it wont allow you to break the engine!

My personal experience with using it in full manual v's "auto" mode is that the calibration that the engineers at Porsche have done is spot on. I feel and this is subjective that the calibration on the 981 is a little better than on the 987.2. I have found that I am less likely to engage full manual mode in the 981 than the 987.2, maybe it was because I just wanted to rev that sweet 2.9 that was in the 987.2 ! What I will say is that using the car in manual selection mode ALWAYS increases fuel consumption!

Since then I have purchased two PDK equipped cars and wouldn't consider a manual unless the model year range was a Tiptronic only affair like a 997.1 gen etc) 

I would highly recommend getting one with the sports chrono package as it gives you the active engine mounts, sports plus calibration, launch control and a the chrono clock (which of the last two you probably will never use) In sports plus auto mode it is not really viable for use on the road as the shift points are so high and it is very much a track calibration HOWEVER in manual mode the increase in the speed of the gear change is alluring and quite addictive!

So what you lose is something to do with your left foot! Taking off from start is less engaging there is no question of this you simply don't have as much to do. When you come to a stop once again you have less to do and are less engaged in the process in both instances.

What you gain is a car which has Mutiple personalities, in standard mode it is quite docile and could easily pass as daily driver gear shift is quick but not violent etc, press one of the other modes and you see quite a change in personality of the car it simply become more aggressive. Throttle recalibration, gear shift speed increases, firming of the engine mounts all contribute to this feel.

Car in sports plus, manual override mode coming towards a corner shift down on the paddles INSTANT, through the corner, power down coming out, shift up no need to lift the throttle AT ALL instant gear change up again as you climb the hill throttle buried shift up NO LIFT on the throttle bang INSTANT CHANGE you get that shift and the violent push in the back .... this is what did it for me and continues to do so.

This has been my experience and I said I really do not want to engage in a manual v's PDK discussion. For many it is emotive subject that they have a very firm non-negotiable stance on and this quite ok . 
Hopefully some of this is of use 😁

1 hour ago, Grimmy said:

I'm Happy to chime in on this and provide some thoughts and my personal experience.

Firstly if you are of the absolute belief that only a manual is for you then there really is no point reading on! 

If your motivation is that you want the manual as it's a "Badge of honour" again don't read on!

So with those caveats set, I do not wish to go down the rabbit hole that is "PDK v's Manual" and the ensuring 30 page debate!

I have driven manual clutch transmissions all my life, auto's were always a compromise they were slower, less responsive, less engaging and an overall dull experience connected via a horrible torque converter. Yes some are a lot better than others but they all provide drive through a torque converter, so you are always going to have a "dulled off" experience.

Friend purchases a new PDK equipped Porsche, early PDK example. Throws me the keys and says give this a try, righto not sure why you purchased an "auto" but lets go.

Well..... initially my impression was this thing is quick... real quick the changes are instant....it got my attention! Ok Porsche I'm now listening.

Play with this a little more and I recall vividly the first time I powered up Mt Donna, manual selection mode enabled, sports plus mode enabled the gear shifts are astonishing seriously powerful stuff. You keep your right foot planted, click up on the paddle and instantly and I really mean instantly you feel a firm push back in the seat as the car goes up a gear and once again returns the engine to it's optimal power/torque range, changing down is as instant with the added bonus that you cannot overrev the engine.

In manual override selection mode it allows a lot of control over the gearbox, however it wont allow you to break the engine!

My personal experience with using it in full manual v's "auto" mode is that the calibration that the engineers at Porsche have done is spot on. I feel and this is subjective that the calibration on the 981 is a little better than on the 987.2. I have found that I am less likely to engage full manual mode in the 981 than the 987.2, maybe it was because I just wanted to rev that sweet 2.9 that was in the 987.2 ! What I will say is that using the car in manual selection mode ALWAYS increases fuel consumption!

Since then I have purchased two PDK equipped cars and wouldn't consider a manual unless the model year range was a Tiptronic only affair like a 997.1 gen etc) 

I would highly recommend getting one with the sports chrono package as it gives you the active engine mounts, sports plus calibration, launch control and a the chrono clock (which of the last two you probably will never use) In sports plus auto mode it is not really viable for use on the road as the shift points are so high and it is very much a track calibration HOWEVER in manual mode the increase in the speed of the gear change is alluring and quite addictive!

So what you lose is something to do with your left foot! Taking off from start is less engaging there is no question of this you simply don't have as much to do. When you come to a stop once again you have less to do and are less engaged in the process in both instances.

What you gain is a car which has Mutiple personalities, in standard mode it is quite docile and could easily pass as daily driver gear shift is quick but not violent etc, press one of the other modes and you see quite a change in personality of the car it simply become more aggressive. Throttle recalibration, gear shift speed increases, firming of the engine mounts all contribute to this feel.

Car in sports plus, manual override mode coming towards a corner shift down on the paddles INSTANT, through the corner, power down coming out, shift up no need to lift the throttle AT ALL instant gear change up again as you climb the hill throttle buried shift up NO LIFT on the throttle bang INSTANT CHANGE you get that shift and the violent push in the back .... this is what did it for me and continues to do so.

This has been my experience and I said I really do not want to engage in a manual v's PDK discussion. For many it is emotive subject that they have a very firm non-negotiable stance on and this quite ok . 

Agree entirely with this, having had a 987.1 manual Boxster S, and now a 2.9L 981 PDK.  Prior to the PDK we'd only ever had an auto Stag, auto Commode for boat towing and auto Terry for caravan towing, everything else we've ever had have been manuals.  As @Grimmy says, a PDK car has multiple personalities, choose the one that suits you at the time 🙂.  Whilst I have the GT3 for my manual fix at the moment, I'd be transmission agnostic (is that a new term????) when the time comes to move on to something newer.  In fact I can almost see myself looking at a 991.2 or 992 Targa in a few years, replacing both the GT3 and 981.  If that was PDK, so be it.

Yep well put Grimmy

I will add that GT cars with PDK take it up another notch with the creeping function when idling removed so even less like a torque converter auto. You also can disengage the clutch's by pulling both paddles at the same time and re-engagement is based on the mode you are in. Has all sorts of uses. You can even drive off from stopped just like a manual with plenty of revs on board. 

4 hours ago, Grimmy said:

Thank you @Grimmy that's a very comprehensive and informative reply and I really appreciate your insight into all things PDK.

I had a Lexus ISF for a while and enjoyed punting that around with the lovely V8 and paddle shift auto, have driven a few Golf GTi's with the DSG transmission  which have a cool shift feel combined with some nice audio and I recently spent some time driving an R35 GTR and was very impressed with it's double clutch transmission.

I like you would chose a manual over a Tiptronic transmission but from everything I've read the PDK does sound like a quantum lead forward.

I'm going to have a drive of the car this later this afternoon so it's great to here from the PFA members before doing this.

20 minutes ago, Yeatesy said:

Thank you @Grimmy that's a very comprehensive and informative reply and I really appreciate your insight into all things PDK.

I had a Lexus ISF for a while and enjoyed punting that around with the lovely V8 and paddle shift auto, have driven a few Golf GTi's with the DSG transmission  which have a cool shift feel combined with some nice audio and I recently spent some time driving an R35 GTR and was very impressed with it's double clutch transmission.

I like you would chose a manual over a Tiptronic transmission but from everything I've read the PDK does sound like a quantum lead forward.

I'm going to have a drive of the car this later this afternoon so it's great to here from the PFA members before doing this.

Your most welcome, 

I hope you can quickly form your own option from the drive. PDK is not everyone and that's quite OK, I'm pleased to have the choice!

Do make sure you try it in manual shifting mode in sport mode at least. I don't suggest sports plus in auto shift mode as it really is a track calibration and you probably won't get out of 2nd within legal road speeds. You cannot damage the engine by downshifting too early with the PDK it simply will not allow it. Keep your foot buried as you change up you will soon see what the PDK is capable of. Porsche have got the calibration pretty spot on.I also have a VW with a DSG and the calibration on that dual clutch is set to feel more like a torque converter auto where as the PDK dual clutch def is a "sports car" calibration. 

The only thing I would say against dual clutch gear boxes is that you may experience a slight shudder during take off. 

If the car has the optional sport design steering wheel (real paddles) then you can do the pull the both paddles in trick just like the GT cars as indicated in a post above. The standard wheel with the "blocks" for want of a better term does not have this function.

6 minutes ago, Grimmy said:

Your most welcome, 

I hope you can quickly form your own option from the drive. PDK is not everyone and that's quite OK, I'm pleased to have the choice!

Do make sure you try it in manual shifting mode in sport mode at least. I don't suggest sports plus in auto shift mode as it really is a track calibration and you probably won't get out of 2nd within legal road speeds. You cannot damage the engine by downshifting too early with the PDK it simply will not allow it. Keep your foot buried as you change up you will soon see what the PDK is capable of. Porsche have got the calibration pretty spot on.I also have a VW with a DSG and the calibration on that dual clutch is set to feel more like a torque converter auto where as the PDK dual clutch def is a "sports car" calibration. 

The only thing I would say against dual clutch gear boxes is that you may experience a slight shudder during take off. 

If the car has the optional sport design steering wheel (real paddles) then you can do the pull the both paddles in trick just like the GT cars as indicated in a post above. The standard wheel with the "blocks" for want of a better term does not have this function.

I reckon the proper Sport Design wheel is a must, can't understand why it isn't standard, flappy paddles much more important that stereo controls etc IMHO  🙂 

7 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I reckon the proper Sport Design wheel is a must, can't understand why it isn't standard, flappy paddles much more important that stereo controls etc IMHO  🙂 

Agree however I consider a Porsche a company that sells options ...... oh and they a make a car as well to put all those options on 😜

4 hours ago, Grimmy said:

Your most welcome, 

The car has Sports Chrono Plus but has the 3 spoke multi-function sports steering wheel so I'd be looking to change that to the Sport Design steering wheel.

4 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

Agreed, surely everyones arms are long enough to reach the audio controls 🙃

22 hours ago, the_sovereign_man said:

I can't speak regarding the Cayman, but having owned both an E46 M3 CSL manual and an E46 M3 flappy paddle I can say hand on heart that the manual was far more enjoyable. Yes, the PDK is light years ahead of the E46 unit, but even so I think the comparison stands as the manual will be more engaging. I could be wrong, but I think resale will be better with the manual too, no? I don't know, tough call. I'd be inclined to not compromise but that's easier said than done when you're anxiously waiting to get your hands on something. 

With ya... Had 4x Caymans - 987.2 base PDK / 981 S manual / 981 GTS manual / & now a 981 GTS PDK. Don't ask why 3x 981's, it's too long a story. Covid has prevented me from giving the latest PDK model a real go as suggested by @Grimmy. But I will say those manual 3.4 flatsixers are something to behold. Driving to the supermarket becomes an experience. Driving up and down the gears is such a hoot. The PDK is V V good but the 6 shifter wins for mine. 

Yesterday I had a really good drive of the 2011 987.2 Cayman S I'd mentioned previously. It's a mates car that currently isn't listed for sale but he's planning on advertising it in the next couple of weeks to buy a BMW, I don't understand it but he loves them as much as I love Porsches.

It was the first time I'd driven a car with PDK and I was very impressed by it's capabilities, the Sports & Sports Plus settings really do change the characteristics of the car like @Grimmy had mentioned and I came away feeling like a 500km+ drive in this car in the standard setting would be a comfortable and relaxing experience but if you wanted to go for a blast through the hills the Sports or Sports Plus settings would make driving the car a lot of fun.

The car is immaculate, I can buy it right now before it goes on the market and it would be a very easy transaction but I've come away feeling like a really want something that is a bit more raw, loud and engaging (there's that word again).

I loved my manual 987.1 S and thought the 987.2 S would be the perfect Porsche for me, now my heart is telling my head to spend more money and get something else.  

^^
Would that be a Cayman R Yeatesy ? It’s definitely rawer and the PDK even more aggressive. I often say it’s like a mongrel dog looking for a fight and if your not up for it don’t prod it or be aggressive with the controls even in normal mode. 

1 hour ago, Redracn said:

^^
Would that be a Cayman R Yeatesy ? It’s definitely rawer and the PDK even more aggressive. I often say it’s like a mongrel dog looking for a fight and if your not up for it don’t prod it or be aggressive with the controls even in normal mode. 

Yes absolutely a Cayman R or maybe a higher km GT4