991 or 997.2

Jcg1

Hi guys, 

looking at either a 991 or a series 2 997. Who has what and what would you prefer.

‘I currently have a fully restored and tickled g series car, but want something a bit more modern to thrash around on the weekend  and the occasional drive to work.

997.2 seems to be commanding some very high prices at this stage and seems to be the choice for future investment.

im undecided as prices for the two cars are very similar.

what’s everyone’s 2 cents 

I’ve only driven 997.1 GT3 (almost bought...but didn’t) and 991.2 GT3 (bought a few years later) and they are very very different cars.  I imagine same goes for 997 vs 991 Carrera.  All I can suggest is that you need to drive both before making a decision.

5 hours ago, Jcg1 said:

Hi guys, 

looking at either a 991 or a series 2 997. Who has what and what would you prefer.

‘I currently have a fully restored and tickled g series car, but want something a bit more modern to thrash around on the weekend  and the occasional drive to work.

I did drive a 997.1 back in 2009 when I was buying my first Porsche, but it seemed too "civilized" to me and I bought a pristine 993 instead.

So here I am with a 1995 993 and a 2015 911 Carrera 4 GTS, both have a manual transmission.

But for an everyday car, I would go with the 991.1. The only downside, no oil dipstick. Must have been designed by a millennial. 😄

991 - nicer, bigger, feels bigger.  997....last of its breed (in my mind at least) & probably better retained value.  Both will the jobs you have described very well.  I'd prefer the 997 for that slightly smaller feeling...the 991 feels a little more GT to me & less 'sporty'.  Others would not doubt have entirely the opposite opinion :)

I went through the same motions and ended up with a 991.1 Carrera 2. I'm glad I did as the 991.1 looks like it just rolled off the Porsche dealer floor as a brand new car (some people think I bought a new 911(, whereas the 997.2 looks more dated. The interior of the 997.2 (seen a few now) really looks a number of generations behind vs the 991.1. I personally think the whole 997.2 is smaller thing is subjective since the 991.1 is quite compact by modern standards, also I cannot tell the difference between electronic and hydraulic steering around town. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 27/05/2021 at 23:01, The Bern Dog Experience said:

I went through the same motions and ended up with a 991.1 Carrera 2. I'm glad I did as the 991.1 looks like it just rolled off the Porsche dealer floor as a brand new car (some people think I bought a new 911(, whereas the 997.2 looks more dated. The interior of the 997.2 (seen a few now) really looks a number of generations behind vs the 991.1. I personally think the whole 997.2 is smaller thing is subjective since the 991.1 is quite compact by modern standards, also I cannot tell the difference between electronic and hydraulic steering around town. 

My heart tells me a 991, and my head says a good low km series 2 997 for future value. Especially where I found a 10000 km 997.2 for sale at the moment