991 GTS prices, at their peak?

On 30/05/2021 at 18:14, twro said:

Dust off that crystal-ball and let me know your predictions please...

Since I had some spare time on my hands (I miss my garage and workshop) a couple of years ago while spending my winters there, I was amazed what my GTS would cost in Australia.

I priced it out along with my factory Porsche options (CA$45,620). Incredibly my options less two that were not offered in Oz would run me about AU$79,000.

Anyway, out the door I remember $408,000. Nuts!

• 1 month later...
On 31/05/2021 at 13:57, P-Kay said:

If you are ready to purchase and find a car that you really like, then I would suggest jumping when you find it.

Like a horny rabbit, I was.

• 2 weeks later...
On 31/05/2021 at 08:14, twro said:

I am considering a purchase of a 991.1 or 991.2 GTS (plus a couple of other options), and did some research over the weekend into price changes over the past 12 months.

No surprise, prices are sky-high right now due to lack of supply (in particular new car deliveries) x plenty of demand (low interest rates, no expensive holidays etc).

My question is - do you think that prices will steady out, drop back to what they would/should have been, or continue rising?

Some data (comparing 6 month periods May 2020 - Oct 2020 vs Nov 2020 to May 2021);

991.1 Carrera GTS - Increased in value $12k - $15k: 

• First 6 mths $218k and average milage of 21,000km 
  • 2nd 6 mths $230k and average milage of 32,000km

Dust off that crystal-ball and let me know your predictions please...

Bought privately in May ‘21, well optioned  (Carmine, full alcantara and stitching, headlights, keyless, DAB, steering, park assist, adaptive cruise, roof). Few more km’s than your average figure, at significantly less than your Oct ‘20 average. Carrera 2 PDK. Excellent condition.

My prediction is that they’re out there at the right price, you just need patience, a little luck and a good argument!  I think dealer cars are crazily priced currently.  Couple of very very low km .1’s at naughty money.

Still looking?

2 hours ago, twro said:

Well done @KGB, sounds a like great car. I am being patient with my looking, have not bought yet.

Good luck, they’re amazing cars, worth exercising patience to find the right one for you.

No, I think they will retain or rise.

I bought just recently a 991.1 GTS manual and also a 991.2 T (covid boredom). I prefer both to the 991GT3/991.2 GT3T for the fun factor (had both). I also recently had the opportunity to buy back my old GT3T and declined when driven back to back with the GTS.

I could rarely get the GT3 to redline on public streets and when I did, I’d have to quickly brake or look in the mirror. Maybe it’s a Vic thing. The GTS/ or T don’t seem to have this issue (as much) - they’re just fun at normally driving.

Anyway, to the question of the OP,  I would encourage buying one; they’re terrific as the sweet spot, with little depreciation, and the 992 doesn’t seem very special/attractive.

1 hour ago, njb said:

I bought just recently a 991.1 GTS manual and also a 991.2 T

I don’t think we’ll find anyone more qualified than you to respond here! 
Very interesting (and surprising) that you would choose the GTS over a GT3 Touring - you are shattering my Dream Garage.

Of the T and the GTS which is more fun to drive? 

On 25/07/2021 at 19:01, twro said:

I don’t think we’ll find anyone more qualified than you to respond here! 
Very interesting (and surprising) that you would choose the GTS over a GT3 Touring - you are shattering my Dream Garage.

Of the T and the GTS which is more fun to drive? 

Haha, that I am struggling to answer. My dealer friend is adamant the 991.1 should go and I’ll see reason, but I honestly love them both. And will keep both.

Incidentally, I’ll previously had a 991.1 GTS pdk and promptly sold it (at that time in favour  of 997.2 c2s manual which i greatly preferred), but this time I just love the 991.1 gts manual. The getawayer video on YouTube sums it up quite well I think. If you further research you’ll see how others appreciate the powerband, sound at lower rpms for street driving, and maybe also the ride/steering too.

22 hours ago, njb said:

No, I think they will retain or rise.

I bought just recently a 991.1 GTS manual and also a 991.2 T (covid boredom). I prefer both to the 991GT3/991.2 GT3T for the fun factor (had both). I also recently had the opportunity to buy back my old GT3T and declined when driven back to back with the GTS.

I could rarely get the GT3 to redline on public streets and when I did, I’d have to quickly brake or look in the mirror. Maybe it’s a Vic thing. The GTS/ or T don’t seem to have this issue (as much) - they’re just fun at normally driving.

We have (very fortunately) a 991.2 GT3 man, and RS in the family.  Consensus is the GTS is a much better proposition on the road when used more often than sunny Sundays...  How you'd retain your license and a healthy spine driving either more or less daily I don't know!

• 6 months later...
On 31/05/2021 at 08:14, twro said:

My question is - do you think that prices will steady out, drop back to what they would/should have been, or continue rising?

To circle back on this thread from June last year;

• Prices then for 991.1 GTS: average price of $230k and average milage of 32,000km
  • Prices now for 991.1 GTS: average price of $305k and average mileage of 18,776km

Slim pickings for anything much under $290,000!

Guess I should have bought one in June 😪

5 minutes ago, WB997.2GTS said:

Any idea what a 997 GTS 45,000klm full leather is worth, I haven’t seen one on carsales for ages and might consider offloading for the right $

The last three were all around $200k, but that was a while ago. None listed recently that I have seen (at least, not on Carsales where I have a watch set-up).

16 hours ago, twro said:

Prices now for 991.1 GTS: average price of $305k and average mileage of 18,776km

I should have (heavily) caveated this with "asking prices now"

From what I can see, none have actually traded for over $300k, or even close to it. My data shows that the highest sale price is $259,990, sold by Porchaden in Nov 2021.

So there are a lot of speculatively priced cars for sale, each egging the other on for a higher asking price. Hopefully all the owners read this post and reduce their asking prices by $50k :)

1 hour ago, twro said:

I should have (heavily) caveated this with "asking prices now"

From what I can see, none have actually traded for over $300k, or even close to it. My data shows that the highest sale price is $259,990, sold by Porchaden in Nov 2021.

So there are a lot of speculatively priced cars for sale, each egging the other on for a higher asking price. Hopefully all the owners read this post and reduce their asking prices by $50k :)

That is every semi-desirable car currently. Pie in the sky pricing, and once in a blue moon someone pays it. Great for those who have plenty of time to wait for a deal, aka don't really want to sell. Cars that need to move quickly do not sell at these prices as we all know.

2 hours ago, twro said:

From what I can see, none have actually traded for over $300k, or even close to it. My data shows that the highest sale price is $259,990,

Unless personal knowledge of the transaction, we won't know what they were actually sold for, other than what the carsales ad what last listed at. 

Couple of more recent examples I have noticed:

A 2018 991.2 GTS marked as sold at Duttons 1 week ago. It was Agate grey, 31,366 km and last listed at $289,990.

Another, 2017 991.2 GTS in Silver, 30,800 kms privately listed at $285,000 (listed price increased from $274,990 in December 2021), placed on hold about 2 weeks ago.

• 1 month later...

Howdy. I joined the 991 GTS club recently (sort of). Bought this last July from Porsche Centre Sydney South. Was lucky I got it as it didn't sell for a couple of weeks due to the lockdown as I was thinking about it and whether I could justify the huge jump in price from my 911 Carrera 2 991.1. This puppy had only 8,200km at the time and was fully optioned (e.g. GTS Interior package, sun roof etc). Also got 3.5 years Porsche warranty (18 months from the previous owner, also additional 2 years as part of promotion from PCSS)

At the time, I thought I paid top $$$ but given it was such a rare car with the uber low km and it was a Carrera 4, I bit the bullet. Glad I did as I also noticed similar GTSs (all Carrera 2 and I have not seen another Carrera 4 coupe since) with the higher mileage (<20km) are now trading in the late $200k to early $300k. It is like real estate to some extent - looks expensive now but 6 months later, prices keep moving up. 

Photo 13-2-2022, 3 23 58 pm.jpg

Photo 3-10-21, 3 14 44 pm.jpg

1.jpg

9 hours ago, The Bern Dog Experience said:

Howdy. I joined the 991 GTS club recently (sort of). Bought this last July from Porsche Centre Sydney South. Was lucky I got it as it didn't sell for a couple of weeks due to the lockdown as I was thinking about it and whether I could justify the huge jump in price from my 911 Carrera 2 991.1. This puppy had only 8,200km at the time and was fully optioned (e.g. GTS Interior package, sun roof etc). Also got 3.5 years Porsche warranty (18 months from the previous owner, also additional 2 years as part of promotion from PCSS)

At the time, I thought I paid top $$$ but given it was such a rare car with the uber low km and it was a Carrera 4, I bit the bullet. Glad I did as I also noticed similar GTSs (all Carrera 2 and I have not seen another Carrera 4 coupe since) with the higher mileage (<20km) are now trading in the late $200k to early $300k. It is like real estate to some extent - looks expensive now but 6 months later, prices keep moving up. 

Photo 13-2-2022, 3 23 58 pm.jpg

Photo 3-10-21, 3 14 44 pm.jpg

1.jpg

There's a white DB9 in Tassie with that same plate.  Figure you guys are in investment or finance game 🙂 

13 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

There's a white DB9 in Tassie with that same plate.  Figure you guys are in investment or finance game 🙂 

Or simply an owner of a business ;)

I thought it was funny regardless