How Do You Enjoy Porsches on Public Roads in Australia?

7 hours ago, edgy said:

I did a key swap with a friend who had 997 TT... there is no way I'd have license if owned one of those! 

I recently got reaquanted with my TT after a 18 month hiatus. A number drop from 997 but would match a stock one 997 tt.  A moment of weakness in 3rd gear for 2 to 3 seconds from 60km/hr  and indeed license loosing  territory.

32 minutes ago, smit2100 said:

I recently got reaquanted with my TT after a 18 month hiatus. A number drop from 997 but would match a stock one 997 tt.  A moment of weakness in 3rd gear for 2 to 3 seconds from 60km/hr  and indeed license loosing  territory.

Geeezzze my 6.2 Will do that : )

47 minutes ago, HWY said:

Boggo standard car that won't get you into crazy trouble- GR Yaris.  The well documented base model Dunlop tyres are enough to make a road drive fun. And by modern standards, it is light. 1280kg

I've got one of these and can confirm it is excellent for spirited road driving without getting thrown in jail and also tarmac rallies.  Great car, lots of fun!

You guys all talking about your cars being too fast...  More of you should try a motorcycle..😀

It was one of the reasons I left motorcycling a couple of years ago. It was just way too easy to get into trouble, way easier than my 996.

Providing I respect the throttle, I find my 996 a good balance wrt to having fun around corners without having my knee out kissing the tarmac...

2 hours ago, HWY said:

Boggo standard car that won't get you into crazy trouble- GR Yaris.  The well documented base model Dunlop tyres are enough to make a road drive fun. And by modern standards, it is light. 1280kg

I’ve actually been looking at these! They are really tempting for around 50k for something pretty new with a warranty etc

55 minutes ago, Costas said:

You guys all talking about your cars being too fast...  More of you should try a motorcycle..😀

It was one of the reasons I left motorcycling a couple of years ago. 

Used to ride but don’t anymore. Had a CBR, GSX-R, BMW RT, KTM’s etc. I don’t understand how people can ride sports bikes on the road in Aus lol…. Doing 60kmh (then 50 then 40 then 70 as the limit changes) everywhere hunched over like that with your eyes glued to the speedometer  is very uncomfortable and the engine doesn’t like it either 

1 hour ago, Costas said:

It was one of the reasons I left motorcycling a couple of years ago. It was just way too easy to get into trouble

After many years of road racing, that's why I haven't ridden a bike for many years, as anything under 100kph is batshit boring

Just now, LeeM said:

After many years of road racing, that's why I haven't ridden a bike for many years, as anything under 100kph is batshit boring

16 minutes ago, Jkay said:

I don’t understand how people can ride sports bikes on the road in Aus lol…. Doing 60kmh (then 50 then 40 then 70 as the limit changes)

True, but I choose to barley ride around town. Like in the Porsche, always head for the hills. 

It's still an absolute blast to ride through a mountain pass, and put together a set of twisty corners, and get them right. And when it's a tight mountain road, under 100km is plenty fun.

7 minutes ago, luzzo said:

True, but I choose to barley ride around town. Like in the Porsche, always head for the hills. 

It's still an absolute blast to ride through a mountain pass, and put together a set of twisty corners, and get them right. And when it's a tight mountain road, under 100km is plenty fun.

Oh Yes I reckon that's the way to go for sure!. I do miss riding to be honest but I think I'll just concentrate on cars for now lol

12 minutes ago, luzzo said:

I was doing really stupid stuff on the roads (mainly Gorge road in Adelaide hills, which I only drove that road last year for the first time since '99) until I'd had enough of losing my friends. We were all dickheads and I was very lucky a couple of times, yet some weren't. Theres no excuses for riding as we did, and I'd had enough of it so I went back racing. I've only recently been looking at a track bike, yet my insurer has said I won't be covered if I get injured, so that kinda kills that idea 🙄

2 hours ago, LeeM said:

I was doing really stupid stuff on the roads (mainly Gorge road in Adelaide hills, which I only drove that road last year for the first time since '99) until I'd had enough of losing my friends. We were all dickheads and I was very lucky a couple of times, yet some weren't. Theres no excuses for riding as we did, and I'd had enough of it so I went back racing. I've only recently been looking at a track bike, yet my insurer has said I won't be covered if I get injured, so that kinda kills that idea 🙄

Similar experience for me - I got into a crew of early morning motorcyclists when I lived on the Gold Coast in the late 90's.  It was (for me) the hey-day of sportbikes;  Ducati had just released the 916, I owned the very first blue Yamaha R1 delivered to the GC, and manufacturers were really pumping out quality liter bikes that felt like 750s.  Things got so silly that we were ordering racing slicks and grooving them ourselves (to look legal) and setting "PBs" on a road course that ran from Advancetown to Murwillumbah.  It was, on reflection, crazy stupid shit that I only bailed out of when I lost two friends in two months just prior to my wedding.  The plus was my now wife demanded I get off bikes and co-funded my first Porsche as a reward ;)

24 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

the late 90's.  It was (for me) the hey-day of sportbikes;  Ducati had just released the 916, 

Oh yes I remember actually having a poster of a 916 on my wall in the early 2000's. Didnt get one but ended up getting a 1999 CBR instead as it was to be my one and only vehicle. I too remember the R1 and R6 first coming out and I wanted one badly. Thats also when SRAD's were popular and always loved the odd (to me) shape it had

Similar situation with the Mrs and that just means if the next Porsche is something we can "both" use and she's contributing financially, who am I to argue lol

3 hours ago, Jkay said:

I’ve actually been looking at these! They are really tempting for around 50k for something pretty new with a warranty etc

Used to ride but don’t anymore. Had a CBR, GSX-R, BMW RT, KTM’s etc. I don’t understand how people can ride sports bikes on the road in Aus lol…. Doing 60kmh (then 50 then 40 then 70 as the limit changes) everywhere hunched over like that with your eyes glued to the speedometer  is very uncomfortable and the engine doesn’t like it either 

Seems like a few guys with the GR Yaris also have multiple other cars in the garage.  Bang for your buck, it is as much fun as any 911 and the back seat is even more usable if you need to carry a little person from time to time.

10 minutes ago, luzzo said:

still got Mine... 

2000 996SPS

Ducati 996 SPS Pic 1.jpg

Bastard 😉

I bought a 916 racebike, but only did a couple of races. I had it in my 1 bed unit loungeroom to look at before I sold it to a mate 😁

I'd won the state thunderbike title on a VTR 1000 Firestorm, then bought and raced an R1, but that was a fkn scary thing to ride, so I piked out and went for an R6 that I was bloody hopeless on. Then went to an FZ1 Nakedbike (R1 engine) I raced Formula Xtreme on with me funding it, then rode for free for a Sydney team who had one with 180hp the following year. That was bonkers that thing! 

20200608-191920.jpg

3 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Bastard 😉

I bought a 916 racebike, but only did a couple of races. I had it in my 1 bed unit loungeroom to look at before I sold it to a mate 😁

I'd won the state thunderbike title on a VTR 1000 Firestorm, then bought and raced an R1, but that was a fkn scary thing to ride, so I piked out and went for an R6 that I was bloody hopeless on. Then went to an FZ1 Nakedbike (R1 engine) I raced Formula Xtreme on with me funding it, then rode for free for a Sydney team who had one with 180hp the following year. That was bonkers that thing! 

20200608-191920.jpg

Thunderbikes!  What a great era!  I wish I'd had the balls to go racing - but I had no talent, ability, or coin for that :D

2 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

Thunderbikes!  What a great era!  I wish I'd had the balls to go racing - but I had no talent, ability, or coin for that :D

This ^^

9 minutes ago, LeeM said:

I'd won the state thunderbike title on a VTR 1000 Firestorm, then bought and raced an R1, but that was a fkn scary thing to ride,

Awesome @LeeM, That is SO ballsy.  I had an R1 (2002 MY) and agreed, it was a scary MF.  I loved it. 

Still, not a Ducati  

1 minute ago, Fishcop said:

Yeah it was mate. I raced my Yamaha TRX850 at the Buell Rolling Thunder meeting at Mac Park, South Australia and got 3rd overall ahead of some 916's, so that pissed of the Ducati crews 😁 I love twins.  I had no cash either, as with a weekly pay of $700, racing was probably costing me $800 😂 You just do what ya can, as racing is a drug 

2 minutes ago, luzzo said:

This ^^

Awesome @LeeM, That is SO ballsy.  I had an R1 (2002 MY) and agreed, it was a scary MF.  I loved it. 

Still, not a Ducati  

😁 Ta mate, but once you've been doing it for far too many years and dollars, it nearly becomes second nature. I had the '99-00 R1 which tried to wheelie or spit you off every time you opened the gas. It would be interesting to ride a current sportsbike like a Panigale or whatever, but I'd probably shit meself 😁

3 hours ago, luzzo said:

I did & I've still got Mine... 

2000 996SPS

Ducati 996 SPS Pic 1.jpg

Beautiful!

3 hours ago, HWY said:

Seems like a few guys with the GR Yaris also have multiple other cars in the garage.  Bang for your buck, it is as much fun as any 911 and the back seat is even more usable if you need to carry a little person from time to time.

Wonder if I could convince the Mrs…. She likes the idea of a PDK car she can also use, but a manual (which I would love), she doesn’t love so much 😅

Wish I had more than one off street space in Surry Hills lol