DM911

997.1 2005 Carrera 3.6 purchase

Clutch came to me as a shock/surprise when I first picked up. ! May be I am getting old.  Got it checked recently at Porsche center Doncaster, they said its a bit heavier than average .1 clutch.  

May be I will switch to .2 PDK  or .1 tipper next year (my wife will  kill me for sure if I do it this year 😁).

The clutch on both my 2006 4S and 2005 C2 are not what I’d consider heavy.  Although having driven some late model manuals that feel springy and dead, the 911 pedal has perfect feel and weight. Maybe your car has a heavy duty clutch. 

Does the 997 have the same helper spring as the 996? This is quite a common 'problem' with the 996, so maybe the same here?

16 hours ago, DM911 said:

May be I will switch to .2 PDK  or .1 tipper next year (my wife will  kill me for sure if I do it this year 😁).

There is a significant premium for 997.2 at the moment, but I suspect if you got a good deal on selling your 3 pedal, you'd have little gap to a PDK car, or go like for like and pocket some change with a tiptronic? 

I think the big issue with 997.2 prices at the minute is that they're starting to overlap the lowest priced 991's 

As for the wife... I finally tied the knot earlier this year, so I am making hay while the sun shines you may say? :lol: 

2 hours ago, edgy said:

I think the big issue with 997.2 prices at the minute is that they're starting to overlap the lowest priced 991's 

Totally agree. I always thought my next 911 might be a 997.2 but you don’t have to pay “that” much more, relatively, to jump into something that’s 10 years newer and can have that much longer warranty…

I like the smaller size of the 997, but doesn’t seem like the greatest value in the world right now…

1 hour ago, JWM said:

Totally agree. I always thought my next 911 might be a 997.2 but you don’t have to pay “that” much more, relatively, to jump into something that’s 10 years newer and can have that much longer warranty…

I like the smaller size of the 997, but doesn’t seem like the greatest value in the world right now…

That is the thinking! If my budget were $150-200k for a Carrera, you'd surely go the 991.1  

Sounds like if Porsche overcome their supply issues and deliver more new cars, there will be some downward pressure on the current pricing levels on the used market. 

As for the clutch, the spring may be damaged. If so fitting a replacement should fix it. The feel isn't heavy by air cooled standards but is heavy compared to the average non porsche car. 

13 hours ago, t888 said:

Sounds like if Porsche overcome their supply issues and deliver more new cars, there will be some downward pressure on the current pricing levels on the used market

Whilst I suspect you're right in a general sense, I feel this would be more relevant to the 991 & 981 market... I don't think many would cross shop early 997 with 991.1 or 991.2 ... most likely 992 & 991 get cross shopped. 

On 14/10/2021 at 14:42, JWM said:

This came on the market yesterday at 135k,  with Porsche approved warranty. Just got a notification it’s sold.

Going by the photos it’s in great nick.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/2009-porsche-911-carrera-997-series-ii-auto-my09/OAG-AD-20229355?pageSource=details&id=OAG-AD-20229355

6FED36C8-7BB4-4D46-A3ED-0C29D6AA6810.thumb.png.25c56552a09daed0d9437c8097fda739.png

Looks fantastic based on the photos. As everyone has been selling, good cars priced well selling fast. There’s a couple 997.2 C2S’s that have been sitting at CTS for months because the prices are silly.