993 central locking issue

pocketscience

Seems like my central locking is kaput. When I use my key fob the red lights in the doors flash, but the doors don't lock/unlock. The key fob will disable the immobiliser so at least I can drive. I've put a new battery in the fob to no avail... The switch in the centre console also fails to lock/unlock. Interestingly it seems my interior lights have also stopped coming on.

Anyone seen this before?

Can you do the following for me as I may be able to help

Fully lock the car fob or key

1) Try key in drivers door (does the door unlock/does the passenger door unlock)

2) Try key in passengers door (does the door unlock/does the drivers door unlock)

Let me know what the outcome is

23 hours ago, 99TS3 said:

Can you do the following for me as I may be able to help

Fully lock the car fob or key

1) Try key in drivers door (does the door unlock/does the passenger door unlock)

2) Try key in passengers door (does the door unlock/does the drivers door unlock)

Let me know what the outcome is

1) Key in locked drivers door unlocks drivers door only

2) Key in locked passengers door unlocks the passengers door only

21 hours ago, Merv said:

Plug in a code reader and find the faulty part. There are so many possibilities.

Yeah, I figured that might be the case - ie lots of possible fault points.. I only have a bluetooth ODB-II device which doesn't work on the 993 unfortunately.

Hi Gavin

The problem could be that the fuse in the central locking controller has blown, its located between the two connection plugs and the controller located under the drivers seat. I am located on the northern beaches (Seaforth) and have Rennlist diagnostic software & Bergvill OBD2 adaptor that you are welcome to come use.

Warren

Gavin, I went down the slippery slope with my 996 when I first got it.  One key was dead and the other stopped soon after. They would not open the car.  I tried every trick in the book to get it working again to no avail.  It turned out it was the central controller under the passenger seat. These are not cheap items but my local indy had his factory reader and identified the problem.  He got a new central locking controller and two new keys for half the price that I could. I suggest you contact a good independent service agent where you are and ask them if they can plug their device in and read the fault codes that you will have.  Then, if you want to go further with them, make sure that they have the important 'learn' codes they will need to set up the existing or new keys. I hope your solution is simpler, but it may not be.  With the 996 you need to keep using both keys on some regular basis.  If you put one away, it will eventually die and lose recognition by the controller, leaving you with one working key.

16 hours ago, WB997.2GTS said:

Hi Gavin

The problem could be that the fuse in the central locking controller has blown, its located between the two connection plugs and the controller located under the drivers seat. I am located on the northern beaches (Seaforth) and have Rennlist diagnostic software & Bergvill OBD2 adaptor that you are welcome to come use.

Warren

Thanks Warren for the offer - I'll take a look at the controller first - hopefully it's the fuse..

13 hours ago, Merv said:

Gavin, I went down the slippery slope with my 996 when I first got it.  One key was dead and the other stopped soon after. They would not open the car.  I tried every trick in the book to get it working again to no avail.  It turned out it was the central controller under the passenger seat. These are not cheap items but my local indy had his factory reader and identified the problem.  He got a new central locking controller and two new keys for half the price that I could. I suggest you contact a good independent service agent where you are and ask them if they can plug their device in and read the fault codes that you will have.  Then, if you want to go further with them, make sure that they have the important 'learn' codes they will need to set up the existing or new keys. I hope your solution is simpler, but it may not be.  With the 996 you need to keep using both keys on some regular basis.  If you put one away, it will eventually die and lose recognition by the controller, leaving you with one working key.

Thanks Merv - good info.