donR

BMW vs Porsche supersprint at Sydney Motor Sport Park

Just did the inaugral BMW vs Porsche supersprint at Sydney Motor Sport Park SMSP GP circuit which was a bit washed out but some good times and a dry track in the morning. A big turnout with 50 or so Porsches including some classics and as many BMWs. 

The fastest Porsche and car of the morning was some sort of GT3 which posted a 1.34.73, followed by a modified GT2 which did a 1.35.31. The fastest GT3 RSs looked to have been around the 1.39 mark and there was a 996 GT3 which did a 1.41.61. 

Nice to see some of these exotic cars on the track and some very good drivers out there. 

I had a bit of fun chasing a F80 M3 which ended in a spectacular spin out of turn 1 which catches a lot of people out. Not the most forgiving corner particularly for the bigger BMWs:

donR,

Just a couple of questions if you don't mind:

What tyres are you running?

What's the difference in lap time between running auto and manual shift modes?

Great timing in capturing the wayward BM at 2.18!

Thanks!

That's a worry going off there.   Though watching his prior lap, some of the lines were interesting...

What is the lap timer you were using and was that also the telemetry that was overlaid in the video?

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

donR,

Just a couple of questions if you don't mind:

What tyres are you running?

What's the difference in lap time between running auto and manual shift modes?

Great timing in capturing the wayward BM at 2.18!

Thanks!

Thanks and no worries. I'm running Trofeo R and the BMW was also running semi-slicks - maybe Nakang AR1s or something like that. 

I'm told manual shifting does not lead to faster times compared with auto mode, although perhaps a pro racer or instructor would be a bit faster in manual mode and with PSM turned off. 

I do try a few manual down shifts depending on the corner but I find the PDK is generally faster and better than me and I can focus more on the lines and braking as it is a difficult circuit to master so I couldn't say for sure which is faster.

I did try manual shifts at Wakefield and the times were very similar, maybe only a few tenths slower than with auto shifts. I was surprised as I am not the best at manual shifts despite my last car being manual stick! I think with practice both manual and auto times would be near identical, the PDK is that good. Perhaps worth a manual shift down to second on the last two corners before the straight, might be another tenth in it.

53 minutes ago, MFX said:

What is the lap timer you were using and was that also the telemetry that was overlaid in the video?

The lap timer is the Porsche Track Precision Ap that comes with Sports Chrono. It is sometimes a bit buggy and I have to import and sync the video from my GoPro manually which can be tedious, but the metrics are useful but not always precisely timed due to I think perhaps a relatively low sampling rate of Ap. It is nice though how it displays current time on the PCM display so you know how your lap is going. The ap will also export VBO data to things like circuit tools but I'm yet to understand how to use it properly and/or get a good driver in the car so I can compare my brake points, etc.