experience with windscreen installers

sus911

I'm up for new glass and probably seals.

I've done extensive searches but not turned up much.

What's your suggestion for an installer (mid-north coast NSW)

Will I need to go to Sydney?

Which screen, which seals, suppliers etc.

Any advice appreciated.

17 minutes ago, sus911 said:

I'm up for new glass and probably seals.

I've done extensive searches but not turned up much.

What's your suggestion for an installer (mid-north coast NSW)

Will I need to go to Sydney?

Which screen, which seals, suppliers etc.

Any advice appreciated.

I have an “old school” guy here on the Central Coast for fitting .. I don’t trust those kids in the chain stores who have probably never seen a car made before 2000.

Seals can be bought locally from either Porsche dealer or other parts suppliers.

@sus911 I've done quite a few 911 glass extractions and installs.  If you want to do it together, I'd be happy to run you through it - and they are remarkably easy...  You definitely need to change seals with the new glass and you'll need a little bit of dum-dum (it is a real thing trust me - and I may have a little bit left). Key is not to scrimp on the seal and go with OEM.

I recently had to put a windscreen in my wife’s Lexus through Shannon’s. I told them I wanted to go with my guy as I didn’t trust O’Briens and I wanted genuine Lexus glass. They were OK with this, all I had to do was order and pay for all the moulds, clips and glass from Lexus myself and they would reimburse me which they did. My glass guy sent them an invoice for the installation and they paid him. Happy days - Lexus glass, awesome install and no  cheap Chinese windscreen.

18 minutes ago, TDW911 said:

I recently had to put a windscreen in my wife’s Lexus through Shannon’s. I told them I wanted to go with my guy as I didn’t trust O’Briens and I wanted genuine Lexus glass. They were OK with this, all I had to do was order and pay for all the moulds, clips and glass from Lexus myself and they would reimburse me which they did. My glass guy sent them an invoice for the installation and they paid him. Happy days - Lexus glass, awesome install and no  cheap Chinese windscreen.

Interesting.  I had a 6-week long 'discussion' with Shannons when I tried to get genuine BMW glass for my e39, at something like $2500 vs obriens presumably 1/4 of that.  My car still had its original screen and like many I preferred to have genuine glass again.

It was my only somewhat negative experience dealing with Shannons in the ~15 years I've been with them.  My other claims have always been settled without resistance and attended by local staff (who at least 'seem' to be shannons employees rather than suncorp) but the glass claim seems to go direct to suncorp's offshore call centres and it took a very long time to get a straight answer. Eventually I got elevated to an AU claims manager and he explained that the PDS stated they only had to replace with ADR compliant glass, hence they would not pay for the genuine screen.  If I recall correctly he said if I wanted the dealer fitted screen they would refund me the allocated cost of the Obriens job.

I didn't care about it that much so said okay, it was worth asking and got the Obriens job done at home.  FWIW, OBriens did a great job, the screen is optically perfect, no issues after the install and they even fitted a new external trim which was perished.

But for future reference I'm curious how you got the genuine glass paid for.  Was it a normal glass claim, ie no excess?

11 hours ago, Fishcop said:

You definitely need to change seals with the new glass and you'll need a little bit of dum-dum (it is a real thing trust me - and I may have a little bit left).

Trust me when I tell you, I know @Fishcop and you'll be getting dum-dum all right! ... 😎

My guy is still available ... 😉

2 hours ago, st3ve said:

Interesting.  I had a 6-week long 'discussion' with Shannons when I tried to get genuine BMW glass for my e39, at something like $2500 vs obriens presumably 1/4 of that.  My car still had its original screen and like many I preferred to have genuine glass again.

It was my only somewhat negative experience dealing with Shannons in the ~15 years I've been with them.  My other claims have always been settled without resistance and attended by local staff (who at least 'seem' to be shannons employees rather than suncorp) but the glass claim seems to go direct to suncorp's offshore call centres and it took a very long time to get a straight answer. Eventually I got elevated to an AU claims manager and he explained that the PDS stated they only had to replace with ADR compliant glass, hence they would not pay for the genuine screen.  If I recall correctly he said if I wanted the dealer fitted screen they would refund me the allocated cost of the Obriens job.

I didn't care about it that much so said okay, it was worth asking and got the Obriens job done at home.  FWIW, OBriens did a great job, the screen is optically perfect, no issues after the install and they even fitted a new external trim which was perished.

But for future reference I'm curious how you got the genuine glass paid for.  Was it a normal glass claim, ie no excess?

No excess, just the annual screen that you are eligible for.  To be honest, I thought it would be a big drama but they got back to me in a day with the ok. I think the total was around the $1600 mark with all new seals, moulds and rain sensor pad. Ordered the bits myself and arranged the windscreen guy to fit it. I think it took a few weeks to reimburse me which is understandable.