911 Engine required

Hi members!

I am new to this site, mainly becuase I am in need of advice, thoughts, suggestions.

I have recently discovered that I have a cracked head or bore :( I have been calling around the reputable independent mechanics and have been informed of the eye watering cost to have the engine rebuilt.  A couple of them suggested to minimise cost is to try and locate a 2nd hand 996 series 2 motor for replacement.

Firstly, any suggestions from you, the members? and secondly, if the 2nd hand motor is the way to go is there a place where you would suggest I go to get a low ks, 996 series 2 engine?

Over to you!

1 hour ago, Guye24 said:

Hi members!

I am new to this site, mainly becuase I am in need of advice, thoughts, suggestions.

I have recently discovered that I have a cracked head or bore :( I have been calling around the reputable independent mechanics and have been informed of the eye watering cost to have the engine rebuilt.  A couple of them suggested to minimise cost is to try and locate a 2nd hand 996 series 2 motor for replacment.

Firstly, any suggestions from you, the members? and secondly, if the 2nd hand motor is the way to go is there a place where you would suggest I go to get a low ks, 996 series 2 engine?

Over to you!

I think you'll need to be looking at supply from overseas - Europe or the USA.  And if you're going to freight a palleted engine over - then consider buying a completely fresh/rebuilt engine for peace of mind from the beginning.

32 minutes ago, Guye24 said:

Thanks Fishcop, will investigate this.  Do you happen to know any Eurpean or USA places where you would go to locate a fresh/rebuilt engine?

I think this is where the internet is your friend.  Most rebuilders will be expecting your engine or a core to start with - you will need to clarify that you're looking to purchase an engine outright, or a rebuilt 'long block' to be freighted to you.  You could then use you preferred mechanic to transfer the engine ancillaries from your old engine on to the new and reinstall. 

Once upon a time I would have looked straight at the USA, but there are plenty of places in the UK and Europe building engines and freight from Europe seems to be cheaper than the USA these days. You could start with Douglas Valley Breakers in the UK who also have an 'agent' in Australia I believe https://www.facebook.com/porsch.used.parts/ or https://www.douglasvalley.co.uk/prestige-parts/

Thank you again, greatly appreciated.

I have been looking around online and found remanufactured engines out of Germany for around AU$18K mark, delivered.  Remanufactured might be a better way to go than rebuild. 

I will keep looking around the US to see how compariable they are.

Cheers

Ooops - I didn't know that, but I'm not surprised. I thought that they sold 996 engine completed "over the counter" but it sound like demand is outstripping supply.

Their website makes good reading if you are into mechanical things too. Barry Hart has been around engines all his life (over 50 years iirc) and is a PrEng of the old school....