'79 911 Dash Sheet Metal

dann089

Hi all,

I know it's probably been asked a million times, however does anyone have any RHD sheet metal they are willing to part ways with?

Failing that, I'm happy to leave mine LHD, however will require new dash sheet metal as there is a lot of rust eaten its way through the car (originally a Colorado car). If it's LHD, happy for it to just be the top section of the dash which with my limited part numbers here is possibly; 901 552 03322

Thanks in advance for anything you may have available for sale!

Cheers,
Dan

If swapping to RHD you also need the floor panels, smugglers box area and others I forget.  Best bet is finding a roller that you can scavenge.  Something like a hacked up targa shell which are around, though usually priced optimistically.  Ultimately there is just a shortage of RHD bits due to lack of original supply vs demand. Even RHD headlights cost 2x what LHD ones do. 

Do not head down the RHD conversion path... I doubt very much you're going to get the dash metal (or pad) let alone the very rare RHD floor and firewall sheet metal as Coastr has suggested.  You also won't find a RHD pedal set for love or money.  We're at a point now that condition matters more than what seat you sit in to drive - you're better off working with a good metal guy and repairing what you have - the big advantage of LHD is supply, Restoration Design and many others will be able to supply most sheet metal you'll need for a left hooker making restoration a lot easier.  Also most of us that have had both LHD and RHD can attest that the LHD position is actually more comfortable (straight legs).

Thanks for the additional insight.

The original reasoning as to why I would be converting (or have interest in converting) is because the current state of the car I purchase requires extensive sheetmetal work in the front end from corrosion, including bits of the dash. While I have all this out I figure no time like the present to carry out the conversion (if someone had the majority of parts available for sale) although it seems like this is wishful thinking!