Honda turbo 997……😬

Interesting project and nice work but... wtf!!??  Why on earth would you do that?  Sounds like a shopping trolley and does not even have an uber power output to make up for it.  At least he didn't chop up the car to achieve it.  The sound of a 911 is a major part of the attraction for me, it's intertwined with the real character of the car.

To go off on a tangent... Harry's Garage says that Euro7 (or some such) regulations are coming quite soon, was it 2025 or 2027?  His take was that it made it effectively 'impossible' to make a combustion engine legal, so no new engines will be developed... what we have now is the pinnacle of piston engines... hence the ever-accelerating push toward electric.  Where does this leave something like the 911, where the engine configuration and position basically defines what is (even to those not so biased as us!) an automotive legend?  What does a company like Ferrari - who to their credit have not cheapened their name by making family trucks - do?  Will we see an electric 911 in the future and if so will we just have a synthesised flat 6 engine note and live in blissful denial?  How can Ferrari make a sports car that feels 'special'?

I've had a brief drive of a base model Tesla 3 and was hugely impressed but at the same time left completely devoid of emotion or excitement.  I find it difficult to understand how Porsche or Ferrari et al can make an electric car and make it have 'soul'.  The character of the engine configuration and the power delivery, weight distribution etc all combine to define special cars.  Electric cars (it seems to me) have none of that, but I'd love to blag a drive in a Taycan to see if a premium brand can inject any specialness beyond just the badge.

I think Porsche, Ferrari et al will have to rely on providence and prestige to see in the next generation... My son is likely never to buy a 'new' combustion engined car, but as an enthusiast I'm sure he'll be able to find a marque producing a shape/look/ride that will appeal - in truth it'll run circles around current cars and is likely to still offer that hit of dopamine with a lineal torque curve, a motor in each wheel tearing rubber :) 

OR worst case scenario:  Google/Apple take over the world and autonomous-self-driving bubble cars are subscribed to by the general public as cars are deemed too complicated to allow anyone to work on, and too dangerous to allow humans to control.  Safety!

And old bastards like us will have secret garages where we've hidden an illegal fossil fueled car/bike and spend evenings brewing backyard fuel out of plastic and cooking oil.  On cold calm nights under the light of a full moon, midnight runs will be made to the raucous tune of pistons and valves - grossly exceeding the 40km/h blanket speed limit, and shattering the government peace. :RockingDeath:

7 hours ago, Fishcop said:OR worst case scenario:  Google/Apple take over the world and autonomous-self-driving bubble cars are subscribed to by the general public as cars are deemed too complicated to allow anyone to work on, and too dangerous to allow humans to control.  Safety!

That’s where we’re headed.  No appeal left so no point owning a car, just call one up on an app on your phone and it arrives out front to take you where you’re going.  I‘ll soon become an alcoholic……

they say our kids won’t be interested in or buy cars anymore - pleased to report my 18yo daughter with no prior interest in cars had her heart set on, saved up for and bought a Subaru Outback - she sees it as her freedom/adventure machine. Loves it.  They’re not dead yet…..

7 hours ago, edgy said:

Shitty move IMO, I like K swaps, but he should have swapped it into a Boxster, as it would piss way more people off.... 

They already piss off MR2 owners like me. :ph34r: