Secured my first Porca, a 996tt

Joz

Pt 1.
Well the last few months 996tts have been slim pickings around the country . In the early days of my looking there seemed to be more available but the gooduns all disappeared it seems. All gone before I was either ready to move on any of them or they were just beyond my budget at the time. I was originally seeking a manual but my budget was purely planted in tip territory . I seemed to be checking CS every few hours hoping for the number of cars to move up.

Fast forward to last week. Sitting at the lights I opened CS and there was one extra car.

A turbo coupe tip with 82ks, so I hit the call button. A quick but comprehensive chat to the sales guy and I was bustin to get out of Geelong and get back to Melbourne . But I still had some work to finish, so hard to focus when being totally consumed by a possible purchase.

When I arrived I spotted the car thinking this couldn’t be it. It was my preferred color combo and was stunning, at least in my first moment of being awe struck. After a good half hour crawling over the  whole car I had come back to earth but nonetheless it was still very nice.

Apparently the car had spent much of its life wrapped in black so the paint work was very good, well except the wing mirrors on which paint peeled of with the wrap. The rear spoiler had the typical hydraulic leaks and failure light.

TBC with pics

34 minutes ago, Joz said:

Well the last few months have been slim pickings around the country . In the early days of my looking there seemed to be more available but the gooduns all disappeared it seems. All gone before I was ready to move on any of them or they were just beyond my budget at the time. I was originally seeking a manual but my budget was purely planted in tip territory . I seemed to be checking CS every few hours hoping for the number of cars to move up.

Fast forward to last week. Sitting at the lights I opened CS and there was one extra car.

A turbo coupe tip with 82ks, so I hit the call button. A quick but comprehensive chat to the sales guy and I was bustin to get out of Geelong and get back to Melbourne . But I still had some work to finish, so hard to focus when being totally consumed by a possible purchase.

When I arrived I spotted the car thinking this couldn’t be it. It my preferred color combo and was stunning, at least in my first moment of being awe struck. After a good half hour crawling over the  whole car I had come back to earth but nonetheless it was still very nice.

Apparently the car had spent much of its life wrapped in black so the paint work was very good, well except the wing mirrors on which paint peeled of with the wrap. The rear spoiler had the typical hydraulic leaks and failure light.

TBC with pics

Was that the one at Theodosi’s that sold the day it was listed?

12 minutes ago, Yeatesy said:

Yep

41 minutes ago, Steve996 said:

Feels good when you finally pull the trigger on something you’ve wanted for so long, doesn’t it. 👍

Hell yea, though my hand was shaking signing the contract 😁

Pt 2

After an hour or so circling the car I rang the bride to come have a look after all it could just be my rose tinted glasses. She arrived and crawled in and out of the back and front seats looking for any faults as in scratches and tears, luckily only some light wear marks. So then all she asked was why not if it ticks all your boxes? Jeez I love her❤️

So back to the negotiating table. My biggest concern upfront was the hydraulic wing lift. Somewhat reluctantly I was offered a small discount of the price and the repair of the hydraulics, the sale was also conditional on a PPI which was organised and to be carried out by Nineauto.

The car has aftermarket 19” rims with fresh PZeros and sports exhaust. No complaints there but would have loved the original Turbo Twists.860752DC-9651-473C-8A20-1BEBC3A9BE71.thumb.jpeg.d4e051beb9a4c0ce123dfab9b79dcc08.jpeg20655330-2A5E-4E90-A7E9-94D57B3666D7.thumb.jpeg.1a6b35e5c2c23551df525cf5f82d31bd.jpeg

Nineauto PPI came back not faultless but not ridiculous. So we decided soon after pickup the car will be getting a major service and the main faults not covered by RWC fixed.

ok here are a couple of pics from when it was at the dealership.

1 hour ago, Yeatesy said:

Congrats Joz.  We found Theodossi's good to deal with when we got my wife's 981 Boxster.  We settled on a fair price if we didn't go look at another car we were considering, and they were happy for Dave Brennan to come and do the PPI there

15 minutes ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

Congrat's!  Love a bit of arctic silver :) I'd try and find some stock 18s if you like the twists, it'll ride better also!

I agree 💯.

But the funny thing is that it’s not arctic silver. The guys at Nineauto told me that it’s quite a rare color but not unknown of, perhaps a special order ?

Apparently this has a very slight blue tinge which my eye didn’t pickup on.

Also the side vents are black ala GT, still undecided if they’re going to the paint shop right away or I’ll wait?

24 minutes ago, Joz said:

I agree 💯.

But the funny thing is that it’s not arctic silver. The guys at Nineauto told me that it’s quite a rare color but not unknown of, perhaps a special order ?

Apparently this has a very slight blue tinge which my eye didn’t pickup on.

Also the side vents are black ala GT, still undecided if they’re going to the paint shop right away or I’ll wait?

It could be polar silver?

2 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

It could be polar silver?

Ummm, 🤷‍♂️
I’ll find out more once I get my hands back on it.

I truly thought they only had arctic silver, just goes to show🤦‍♂️

Congrats Joz,

I have a manual 996.1 C2 and have given recent thought to a TT.

I find choosing wheels is a big deal. I changed out the 17" twists on my 996 (which I have kept to stay with the car) for a set of OG 17" 993 Cup 2s that I had restored and painted in Weiss Gold which look a good contrast against the Lapsis Blue.

I have subsequently decided however to purchase a set of aftermarket 18" GT3 Euromeisters and am patiently awaiting them to arrive from the supplier OS as they are on back order. Once arrived, I will be selling the Cups...

The moral of the story, take your time to decide :)

Congrats love the enthusiasm.  You only get to buy your first Porsche once, and that’s an awesome first one!

my advice would be settle in with the car before making any changes.  You’ll be spending some time staring at it and the right order of things will come to you then.

• 11 months later...
On 03/07/2021 at 09:12, Joz said:

Pt 1.
Well the last few months 996tts have been slim pickings around the country . In the early days of my looking there seemed to be more available but the gooduns all disappeared it seems. All gone before I was either ready to move on any of them or they were just beyond my budget at the time. I was originally seeking a manual but my budget was purely planted in tip territory . I seemed to be checking CS every few hours hoping for the number of cars to move up.

When I arrived I spotted the car thinking this couldn’t be it. It was my preferred color combo and was stunning, at least in my first moment of being awe struck. After a good half hour crawling over the  whole car I had come back to earth but nonetheless it was still very nice.

TBC with pics

Hi Joz,

Hope you are enjoying your car.

Wondering what you did with the hydraulic leak in the rear spoiler. I have had mine repaired in 2019 and has leaked again (997 TT). Planning to replace with a fixed wing kit.

Amod

9 hours ago, Nu2Pcars said:

Hi Joz,

Hope you are enjoying your car.

Wondering what you did with the hydraulic leak in the rear spoiler. I have had mine repaired in 2019 and has leaked again (997 TT). Planning to replace with a fixed wing kit.

Amod

So far so good.

But if I had my time again I’d get the electronic fix from Rennlist.
Had it rebuilt by SV Auto Electrics which are a well known Porsche auto electrics in outer SE Melbourne, but it glitches on occasion. Not every time but occasionally. Not sure why but it just does it once in a while?

• 3 months later...