Dirt or surface?

Sherpa

For context, prior to my purchase, this was a one owner car, owned by a lovely lady in her 60s.

I started giving it a deep clean with a soft brush and soapy water. This is the result.

Am I removing that rubberised surface found on the central console or is this just 20 years of dirt and (I assume) makeup?

I don’t want to go any further if it’s the former, obviously.

9552A4EC-8D97-4F9A-96C3-2B2942EEBB20.jpeg

Well you have started you will have to keep going to match the rest, It seems to match the rest of the door panel in color.It could be years of grime or a protective coating that was applied,  The rubery stuff is only on the consul i think.good luck.

16 hours ago, tomo said:

Well you have started you will have to keep going to match the rest, It seems to match the rest of the door panel in color.It could be years of grime or a protective coating that was applied,  The rubery stuff is only on the consul i think.good luck.

Thanks @tomo I wasn’t sure where else that rubber finish was. I found the same issue behind the door grab, so I suspect it’s years of makeup and moisturiser buildup.

But as you say, I’m committed now 😅

That is the original rubberised surface. It can be removed, also was typically on the centre console.  It breaks down. My Turbo had the leather pack, so area you show is leather on mine. I cleaned the rubberised surface off the center section of the console with Orange Cleaner (Coles) and then sanded and resprayed it in the original colour with a matt plastic surface finish. Looks great and won’t rub off or scratch.  

The door trims are a different material to the rubberised hard plastic parts on the later cars.  I'd guess you are just seeing the nicely preserved original surface coming through.  But yeah, either way not much option but to keep going.  If it all goes to total sh1t, retrim in leather! :)

Respect to the PO daily driving a 996 into her 60's, top bird.

2 minutes ago, st3ve said:

Respect to the PO daily driving a 996 into her 60's, top bird.

It gets better. I only got my hands on this one because hubby bought her a brand new 992. She’ll be rolling that one until she’s 80 😆