Boxster GTS 4.0

WGA

Picked up my 718 BGTS 4.0 PDK last week and now have around 600kms on the car. After many 911s (and still own a couple), it’s my first Boxster/Cayman platform car.

Overall, it’s been very impressive…except for one big issue which is not mentioned nearly enough. But first, the good stuff. 

The ride is really, really good. Better that any 911 I have owned. It’s firm, but fluid. You can really feel the benefits of the longer wheel base (yes, it’s longer than a 911). The steering is very nice, and the car turns in brilliantly. The gearing of the PDK better suits the 4.0 engine with slightly shorter gear ratios. And the engine itself is strong with more than enough torque down low. Indeed, it feels no different to a GT4.

Now, the one big bad point is the noise from the piezo injectors and hi-po fuel pump. Its very loud at idle and just tootling around town. Sounds like an old rattly, pinging diesel. This I wasn’t expecting. It’s so loud that it actually puts me off driving the car. Already I have had 4 comments from people saying the engine sounds like it’s broken. Not sure I will keep this one.

IMG_5874.jpg

IMG_5868.jpg

IMG_5783.jpg

Edited by WGA

There are quite a few unhappy owners over on Rennlist 718 forum who are getting very vocal regarding the new style piezo injectors and HP fuel pump.

Only last week one of the guys in our weekly get together drove up in his Spyder and at parking speeds (as WGA says) it does sound like a worn out rattly diesel @ low engine speeds. At idle we thought that he had sticking hydraulic valve lash adjusters - tap, tap, tap.... not a nice sound especially on a new $200k car.

I couldn't believe the noise - he's only got  approx 4000km on the clock. Made my 981 GT4 sound very sewing machine - ish....

Good honest feedback mate... I don't think that injector sound ever goes away BTW 5 years & nearly 70kms, I complained about it on my Macan Turbo, and they said it is normal... to which I said, that is fine because you'll be warrantying it the whole time I own it! I cant hear it from in the cabin with the insulation, but imagine its very audible in a Boxster with the motor right behind you... so I get your frustration 

One of the frustrating elements is that the volume varies car by car. The demo GTS at the dealer still had the sound but was 50% quieter than mine. And there is no explanation as to why it varies so much from car to car. Apparently, it just does.

And sadly, once you have heard it, you can’t unhear it. So you tend to fixate on it.

17 hours ago, FAP911 said:

Absolutely stunning!!!!!!!!! Is that Crayon

Yes, crayon…in a matching pair.

IMG_5805.jpg

Nice looking GTS, It wears crayon well.

What a shame and disappointment about the nature of the 4.0 ltr. Surely there is going to be a running change/fix/recall for this. I would of thought the dealer could attend to this for you if indeed it is not consistent across all examples.

1 hour ago, WGA said:

One of the frustrating elements is that the volume varies car by car. The demo GTS at the dealer still had the sound but was 50% quieter than mine. And there is no explanation as to why it varies so much from car to car. Apparently, it just does.

And sadly, once you have heard it, you can’t unhear it. So you tend to fixate on it.

IMG_5805.jpg

And matching wheels by the look of it !!!  🙂 

1 hour ago, WGA said:

IMG_5805.jpg

How very upsetting to get a new car and to be unhappy. I have watched a heap of car tests on the 718 4.0 and have not heard of this being brought up. Harry Metcalfe of "Harry's Garage" fame (Evo Mag & YouTube) loved this GTS & don't think he picked up on the noise. It seems odd to me that an engine noise as described would be signed off by Porsche.

Perhaps you can with the assistance of other unhappy owners put some pressure on Porsche to come up with an acceptable fix.

Great looking car & colour. Call me, I have a low Klm all work done 996 C4S that purr's like a kitten (won't drop money), your disappointment can be cured in an instant !!😀

I'm with LeeM. though not directly related to injectors, maybe try a different oil. My 987.1 is rattly on Mobil1 but since changing to Motul 0w-40 the car has been running so much smoother and quieter :D

• 3 months later...

I would agree with this complaint 110%.

Took delivery of my 718 Cayman GTS 4.0 in June.  Have now done 4500km (semi-retired and lots of trips through the hills etc to run in carefully, as I had initially planned on keeping the car) - no, the noises do not go away.

The overall balance and handling are superb, and I would love the car, BUT the cacophony of BS noise coming from the engine would be intolerable on a sub-50k vehicle.  For Porsche to simply hide behind "this is normal and what you must accept with a high performance engine" I consider appalling.

My original retirement toy was going to be another R8 (Audi - not GMH!), but the 718 package looked on paper to be more versatile and usable and all of the reviews were glowing - alas, there was none to test drive apart from a standard S, so I took a punt.

Potential purchasers need to be warned / made aware of this issue, as (for me and others) it seriously detracts from the value / enjoyment of the "package".

My time over, I would go the R8 path 8 days of the week ...

13 hours ago, WGA said:

Blocking off the sound symposer doesn't help. The sound is both inside and outside the car such that passersby can hear it.

I would agree.  Even more prominent from outside the vehicle or with the windows down (now that summer is here).  I guess I should be grateful I am in a Cayman, not a Boxter 😉

Sitting at traffic lights, as pedestrians cross, you see people turn-around to look with bemused/quizzical expressions wondering what the hell must be wrong with the car.

I never considered driving a Porsche might be an embarrassing thing ... 

On 02/11/2021 at 11:35, sleazius said:

Wonder if the RS will be the same.

WRT the GT4 and GT4-RS variants - I do not know, but can't imagine they will be different.

This problem is far more of a issue at low speeds, as WGA stated, "Its very loud at idle and just tootling around town".  This is exactly my issue.

So, if you purchase a GT variant for predominantly track use - this isn't going to be a major irritation - you will be far too focused on what is truly great about the car and between 4-8k-rpm under load the engine is making other far more agreeable noises! 

The whole pitch / niche of the GTS is "an every day usable vehicle - with an alter ego", so the vehicle is more likely to be used in a manner where this problem is highlighted.

The other issue, which I find truly bizarre, is that it is variable in nature.  Cold is generally less than a warm restart and some days far worse than others.

Having accepted it is the piezo injectors - why the variability ??