Boxster GTS 4.0

WGA

42 minutes ago, MEF said:

For clarity.  This is my car leaving work about an hour ago.

Excuse the slow 1-handed driving / the other filming ... this basically continues all the way home, however, had to stop filming - obviously.

Wow it’s a lot more noticeable than I’d expected 

2 hours ago, MEF said:

Excuse the slow 1-handed driving / the other filming ... this basically continues all the way home, however, had to stop filming - obviously.

tYep, thats it. Indeed, thats he clearest recording of the sound I have heard so far.

One of the most annoying aspects of the sound to me is that it is not in sync with the engine revs. It does not rise and fall with the engine speed. If it did, it might be less annoying but It's just always there ticking away in its own separate cadence.Thats why I think most of the sound comes from the hi-po fuel pump rather than the piezo injectors.

The 992 has the same sound but it is much, much quieter and is very much in the background.

38 minutes ago, WGA said:

tYep, thats it. Indeed, thats he clearest recording of the sound I have heard so far.

One of the most annoying aspects of the sound to me is that it is not in sync with the engine revs. It does not rise and fall with the engine speed. If it did, it might be less annoying but It's just always there ticking away in its own separate cadence.Thats why I think most of the sound comes from the hi-po fuel pump rather than the piezo injectors.

The 992 has the same sound but it is much, much quieter and is very much in the background.

Does anyone know if the fuel pump is external to the fuel tank?, if so it may be possible to insulate it to absorb some of the sound 

7 hours ago, MEF said:

718_Start-up.MOV

That is far worse than I was expecting.

My GT3 (991.2) makes some 'ticking' noises which I haven't noticed on earlier versions but it is nothing to this extent.

Why the hell wouldn't a single reviewer mention this?

On 04/11/2021 at 13:48, MEF said:

718_Start-up.MOV

I listened to a Boxster GTS 4.0 idling for a few minutes at a dealer a few months ago and pretty sure I didn't hear that noise.

I also test drive a Boxster GTS 4.0 last Monday and didn't hear it either.

I will go back to the dealer and see if it does have it, as I am in the process of ordering one...