PCCM - Porsche Classic Communcation Manager

Has anyone actually installed the newish fancy radio from Porsche? At first I hated it, and swore I'd never have a screen in my old 911. But its really grown on me, and whilst I don't think i'm quite ready to part with the 2500ish for it yet, I'm interested to see if anyone else has taken the plunge and what your thoughts were. 

https://www.porsche.com/international/accessoriesandservice/classic/genuineparts/producthighlights/pccm/

Cheers

There’s a lot of divided opinion on this system ...

It’s a great upgrade for those that have the PCM 2 or even those that have a single dinn radio and want to upgrade to double dinn.

The issue with the system is that it is quite old technology compared to other aftermarket units on the market .. it is missing a LOT of features and it’s 3 times the price!

On the other hand, it fits so well and looks like it belongs.

I don’t see it as value for money, but if I was to upgrade my PCM 2, I would only fit one of these .. My life is complicated!

Yeah at the minute, my car only had a old cheap unit, which isn't old enough to look nice, and not new enough to have any decent features. So I think I'll either go Bremen, or fork out for the PCCM given the maps bit for me would be really helpful. 

Good to know, thanks both.

I’ve thought about it, but decided to just leave everything as is. 

I already get by pretty well having navigation running on my iPhone and my Apple Watch “tapping” me on the wrist (double taps for left, triple taps for right) and if I also want to hear it, by popping my AirPods in (re-reading that I feel like I have to add: I don’t work for Apple! 🤣)

All of that tech will advance fast. A couple of years from now you’ll be wearing glasses that show navigation overlaid on the road and the ear buds will have even better sound. 

My 996 is only a weekender and I take it out so I can blat about and listen to the flat 6 as much as anything so it might be a different story if you’re commuting and want some music / podcasts and the screen for driving it all a bit easier. 

Also in ten years time the screen will look dated and at least original is original. 

27 minutes ago, WOKA said:

What is the preferred Continental model.? 

The unit in mine is the CD7416UB-OR which is the 'mech' verstion with a CD player.  I previously had the mechless version in my 944.  Both have the bluetooth/handsfree phone and music function and work really well.  They have the correct colour amber lighting that matches general Porsche illumination and don't look out of place in in any 1990-2005 car.  I use a windscreen mount and my iPhone for nav/music/phone (but to be honest, as a weekender - I really don't use anything when driving).

E86E24DE-3BAE-4725-B844-5E96F303BF68.jpeg

28 minutes ago, WOKA said:

What is the preferred Continental model.? 

TR7412UB is the no CD model.  Various options including + DAB at extra cost.  Ebay or Soundlabs, + / - $300.  Easy install, pretty much plug and play from memory.  I went with the CDless version for my GT3 as I figured the ride was a bit harsh for reliable CD operation, and I have a fair bit of music on USB for in the car now, or just listen to the radio if / when I want to.  I mainly wanted the handsfree bluetooth phone option.