Opinions Sought - Dispute re “Mods” with Car you buy

I recently advertised my Porsche for sale. Before advertising it, I swapped the wheels and also took off my sport design steering wheel with the PDK shifters and put the “button” wheel back on

The ad went up with these pictures and no mention was made of the old wheels nor the steering wheel I had removed. These items were NOT pictured in the advert 

Someone paid a deposit yesterday

Hes then found pictures of my car I posted previously on another Porsche forum from months ago with the other wheels And steering wheel and is  now complaining, implying the sale should include those items (which were never pictured or mentioned in my for sale advert) and what I’m doing is no good 

I obv think he’s unjustified, but I obviously would say that and wondering what others think and Am I indeed wrong ? 

Thanks

*I hope I’ve  posted in the correct section, if not please feel free to move it 

4 minutes ago, Jkay said:

I recently advertised my Porsche for sale. Before advertising it, I swapped the wheels and also took off my sport design steering wheel with the PDK shifters and put the “button” wheel back on

The ad went up with these pictures and no mention was made of the old wheels nor the steering wheel I had removed. These items were NOT pictured in the advert 

Hes then found pictures of my car I posted previously on another Porsche forum from months ago with the other wheels And steering wheel and is  now complaining, implying the sale should include those items (which were never pictured or mentioned in my for sale advert) and what I’m doing is no good 

I obv think he’s unjustified, but I obviously would say that and wondering what others think and Am I indeed wrong ? 

Thanks

Agreed, they're buying on the photos as posted......  Including them might be a negotiation pitch if you don't get any other enquiries (unlikely in today's market????)

Any representations pertaining to the sale are made in your Classified Advertisement, no further representations can be assumed, SO Tell him to jog on... 

When I have sold a car with modifications, I specifically detail what they are, and if the standards parts also come with it, I note those in both the sales ad, and contract of sale. 

This is why I hate selling shit! Cars more specifically :lol:

Just now, edgy said:

This is why I hate selling shit! Cars more specifically :lol:

I’m glad I have a middle man dealing with the buyer lol…. And he’s just forwarding me The angry messages 😅…. Showing screenshots of my car with the old items 

Can’t please everyone can you 

1 hour ago, 1q2w3e4r said:

Bloke sounds like a muppet.   Wants something for nothing that wasn't included in the sale to begin with.

If he wants the aftermarket wheels, do you get to keep the stock ones? ;) 

+ 1 for Muppet.  He's not stuck on an oil rig by any chance?

Just now, Rick V said:

+ 1 for Muppet.  He's not stuck on an oil rig by any chance?

haha no Oil Rig this time, and hes actually paid a deposit and is likely not on this forum. I might add this is overseas in Asia. I sold partly as I am due to return to Aus this month (very anxious and apprehensive as to whether that will happen as planned or not due to Covid but thats a different story)

2 hours ago, Jkay said:

Thanks

Just make sure any other ads aren't live... Now days you could have FB ads across different market places, Gumtree, eBay, CarSales etc... I sold a boat a while back and was getting repeated contact after I was sure all sites had it sold... There was still a live FB Marketplace ad that somehow remained live.

Other than that, he's got nothing based on your description, just offer his deposit back.

Ffs.  I hope it didn’t show your house in the background……they will assume that’s thrown in too……

…..wouldn’t you love to tell them they aren’t worthy of the car and to just bugger off and refund the deposit! Come to think of it….I think I have! 

3 hours ago, Jkay said:

Thanks

He has no right to expect the other steering wheel & alloy wheels to be included. I'd strongly suggest he proceeds with the sale and buys the car as advertised and if not you'll just sell the car to someone else which wouldn't be hard in this current market.

26 minutes ago, mc968cs said:

…..wouldn’t you love to tell them they aren’t worthy of the car 

I actually ended up doing that when I was selling the 997 last year, it was a Sunday afternoon, I was relaxing at home, I’d had a couple of beers and I get “the call” … you know it, because they’re soliciting offers in the first minute of the conversation after beating up the car they’ve not even looked at… 

quite liberating, I’d definitely recommend it

1 hour ago, Fishcop said:

Just make sure any other ads aren't live...

Other than that, he's got nothing based on your description, just offer his deposit back.

As far as I know it’s not live anywhere…. 

I left it with a trusted sales person as I plan to fly off in a couple of weeks

I asked through the “sales guy” if the buyer wanted his deposit back and he apparently still wants to go ahead…. But made some smart arse remark along the lines of 

Hes “”willing to overlook”” the steering wheel, but I shouldn’t have done it with the wheels 

Its a good thing someone else is dealing in between, otherwise I think I’d have given him the deposit back there and then…. 

19 minutes ago, edgy said:

I actually ended up doing that when I was selling the 997 last year, it was a Sunday afternoon, I was relaxing at home, I’d had a couple of beers and I get “the call” … you know it, because they’re soliciting offers in the first minute of the conversation after beating up the car they’ve not even looked at… 

quite liberating, I’d definitely recommend it

That sounds like most of the enquiries you get when selling a car, people aren't interested in seeing the car until they have offended the seller and tried to get the price down, another good one is when they call to ask questions and basically ask everything that is already listed in the advertisement 🤦‍♂️

I do this for a living and it's actually refreshing when I'm selling my own cars as I don't have to stop myself from saying exactly what I'm thinking 😁

1 hour ago, Jkay said:

As far as I know it’s not live anywhere…. 

I left it with a trusted sales person as I plan to fly off in a couple of weeks

I asked through the “sales guy” if the buyer wanted his deposit back and he apparently still wants to go ahead…. But made some smart arse remark along the lines of 

Hes “”willing to overlook”” the steering wheel, but I shouldn’t have done it with the wheels 

Its a good thing someone else is dealing in between, otherwise I think I’d have given him the deposit back there and then…. 

Are you obligated  to give the deposit back or just taking the moral high ground.   ie  How goods the words on his offfer that accompanied the deposit.  Does the offer clearly state that the deposit is fully refundable at the buyers discretion should  they elect not to go ahead with the purchase.   I.e  Can you respond to the smart arse comment, with your own.  eg  If you don't go ahead with the purchase of the car as advertised (stock rims / teering wheel) ,  I may be  wiling  to overlook that the deposit is not refundable 

1 hour ago, Yeatesy said:

That sounds like most of the enquiries you get when selling a car, people aren't interested in seeing the car until they have offended the seller and tried to get the price down, another good one is when they call to ask questions and basically ask everything that is already listed in the advertisement 🤦‍♂️

I do this for a living and it's actually refreshing when I'm selling my own cars as I don't have to stop myself from saying exactly what I'm thinking 😁

Tell me about it lol. Everytime I have enquired privately, my questions are (if I am happy with with what I have read in the advert

1. Would you be happy with a PPI at my expense
2. If PPI comes back ok, would you be open to negotiation on the advertised price or is price fixed

I dont start by asking what the lowest price is beore looking lol

Just now, smit2100 said:

Are you obligated  to give the deposit back or just taking the moral high ground.   ie  How goods the words on his offfer that accompanied the deposit.  Does the offer clearly state that the deposit is fully refundable at the buyers discretion should  they elect not to go ahead with the purchase.   I.e  Can you respond to the smart arse comment, with your own.  eg  If you don't go ahead with the purchase of the car as advertised (stock rims / teering wheel) ,  I may be  wiling  to overlook that the deposit is no refundable 

The offer  just states that I have received a deposit of xxx for my vehicle, and the final price of sale subject to the car having no mechanical defects. Didnt think much of it at the time but I should have included more terms and conditions. 

12 minutes ago, smit2100 said:

Are you obligated  to give the deposit back or just taking the moral high ground.   ie  How goods the words on his offfer that accompanied the deposit.  Does the offer clearly state that the deposit is fully refundable at the buyers discretion should  they elect not to go ahead with the purchase.   I.e  Can you respond to the smart arse comment, with your own.  eg  If you don't go ahead with the purchase of the car as advertised (stock rims / teering wheel) ,  I may be  wiling  to overlook that the deposit is not refundable 

If the deposit is refundable then it is not a deposit as far as I am concerned. Unless something has been misrepresented by the seller, then the deposit should always be forfeited as soon as it is paid, regardless of wether the sale goes ahead or not, otherwise what is the point?

10 minutes ago, MFX said:

If the deposit is refundable then it is not a deposit as far as I am concerned. Unless something has been misrepresented by the seller, then the deposit should always be forfeited as soon as it is paid, regardless of wether the sale goes ahead or not, otherwise what is the point?

That’s what I’m inclined to think as well…. I’ve effectively taken the car off the market because of his deposit and could potentially have lost out on another genuine buyer who isn’t going to try to get his hands on my bits

20 minutes ago, MFX said:

That's how I see it as well @MFX  based on the above offer.   @JLK  has the cash.  Muppet argues fully refundable deposit, @JLK's  position based on the muppet factor is it is non refundable and sue me. 

However,  on the cars I have purchased privately to cover my arse  as  a buyer as best I can as part of my offer, I put in writing  that the deposit is fully refundable if I don't go ahead with the purchase  (totally at my descetion)  IN advance of handing over the deposit and doing a PPI.

Some owners wanted a deposit in advance of doing a PPI.  Others were ok with doing a PPI without a deposit (hence don't need the clause).  I had a ppi done on a 996 turbo and one cyclinder went from circa 4% to 16% on the leak test in 15 months  (buyer gave me his PPI and I said thanks, but I wil get my own done (at the  same indy)  15 months later.