Opinions Sought - Dispute re “Mods” with Car you buy

6 hours ago, Jkay said:

I recently advertised my Porsche for sale. Before advertising it, I swapped the wheels and also took off my sport design steering wheel with the PDK shifters and put the “button” wheel back on

The ad went up with these pictures and no mention was made of the old wheels nor the steering wheel I had removed. These items were NOT pictured in the advert 

Someone paid a deposit yesterday

Hes then found pictures of my car I posted previously on another Porsche forum from months ago with the other wheels And steering wheel and is  now complaining, implying the sale should include those items (which were never pictured or mentioned in my for sale advert) and what I’m doing is no good 

I obv think he’s unjustified, but I obviously would say that and wondering what others think and Am I indeed wrong ? 

Thanks

*I hope I’ve  posted in the correct section, if not please feel free to move it 

Not a chance! Car as per photo and sold accordingly ! Can't see any case of misrepresentation! just an opportunist ! Stick to your guns

Well if he wants a car that looks different to the one advertised, that’s his problem.

It has nothing to do with PPI or RWC . IMO the deposit would should be refunded if the cost of rectifying issues was not pre established. Otherwise at what point are PPI issues grounds to pull the pin? Brake pads?  Broken petrol cap or bore scoring?

The seller could argue $10k worth of work is usual.

I'd say I'd be happy to refit the wheel etc, yet I'll have to buy another one because it hasn't been fitted for quite a while prior to listing the car for sale, so please deposit $6000 into my account and I'll order one and have it fitted for you. If not, send me your account details and I'll refund 50% of your deposit, as I need to withhold the other 50% as a F#$/wit tax. 

It's people like this that make selling practically anything just too hard. I recently put something up for sale well below what I think is 'retail' and less than half what it would cost to buy new, and also mentioned NO OFFERS. One asked for more photos, so I sent a couple and they said ''It needs a bit of work, so would you accept $50 less?"  Of course me being the type of person who would rather keep people happy and take less just to sell it I agreed, yet have I heard from them? It nearly makes me want to reject their offer and just throw it out if they contact me again (which I've done before just to spite them). 

I dread having to sell my car if it ever happens, as all I see with comments from selling experiences on here with higher end cars, that the buyers just want to screw everyone over by not paying close to the asking price, and/or expect you to jump through hoops just to accommodate them with organsing and delivery to get a PPi and organising interstate transport and delivering it to the depot etc. Do they think we are just sitting at home twiddling our thumbs waiting for someone to treat us like a bitch? Then of course you're tarnished as an asshole if you don't become their bitch, so you can't win. I'd much rather put my car into Richmonds showroom to sell and let them deal with the dickheads, as it's just too hard to deal with people sometimes, so if you're selling privately, treat them accordingly

And like @DJM I've also become a less tolerant grumpy prick the older I get 😅

Selling is the worst.  I can see why people selling more 'special' or expensive cars elect to use a broker/third party or send to auction.

I will say I've bought/sold 3 times with members on here with zero issues.  I do think the enthusiast aspect combined with the better (and often group moderated) communication makes a big difference.  It is such a small community and I'd rather take a dollar hit than tarnish my arse amongst peers when offering up a car.

4 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

Selling is the worst.  I can see why people selling more 'special' or expensive cars elect to use a broker/third party or send to auction.

I will say I've bought/sold 3 times with members on here with zero issues.  I do think the enthusiast aspect combined with the better (and often group moderated) communication makes a big difference.  It is such a small community and I'd rather take a dollar hit than tarnish my arse amongst peers when offering up a car.

Well said John.  I've had no qualms about sending money to any of the forum members I've bought stuff from, and everything has arrived as described 🙂 

8 hours ago, LeeM said:

and/or expect you to jump through hoops just to accommodate them with organsing and delivery to get a PPi and organising interstate transport and delivering it to the depot etc. Do they think we are just sitting at home twiddling our thumbs waiting for someone to treat us like a bitch?

I actually think as a seller, when the right buyer is engaged, your willingness to accomodate them is often critical in closing the deal... whilst I can see those idiots from a mile away that want you to become their "help",  I personally do not mind putting in some effort/time of my day to facilitate/accomodate what makes a buyer comfortable if they're reasonable... I find when reasonable people come together, and do everything they say they are going to do, in the time they say.. then things go smoothly!

All people are different, and have different styles of doing business, the gentleman I sold my last GT3 to was an asian fella, we did business the way he's use to, over a few coffee meetings, chat, drive, who are you and who do you know? A couple of house visits either way, meet each others families, then why not have lunch after going to the bank to pay me? etc lol, given my background (dad is asian too), I am very used to this so its not weird to me... but I understand it might not be for others to conduct business in such a manner! But sometimes you gotta get a read on character and go with it.. cos he's a great dude who is now a friend, and I have visitation rights to my old flame (just not now :lol: ).  

Obviously a good chunk of $$ when selling GT3's, but for a small part $$ that transaction is more binary... the buyer either wants it or not, simple! 

31 minutes ago, edgy said:

I personally do not mind putting in some effort/time of my day to facilitate/accomodate

but for a small part $$ that transaction is more binary... the buyer either wants it or not, simple! 

I'm often told I give far too much away to people for free or bugger all money, and I also go above and beyond to assist in any way I can, as that's who I am, yet sometimes I've given parts away to help people out, with one instance with a couple of pretty rare old mid 50's VW engines for free, only to see them being sold on Gumtree for hundreds of dollars! It's made me think very differently now, so I either hoard the stuff or just throw it out.

A GT3 is a bit different of course, yet theres no way in a fit do I have the time or patience to do a deal as you did with your car. You like? You buy, seeya later and hope to see you on the road 👍😁

6 hours ago, 3legs said:

Bullshit Lee. You would just say 2 words to them...............f@#k off :) 

Probably 😅👍

I’m usually more than happy and willing to go above and beyond, but for the RIGHT person… 

This buyer hasn’t really started off well with me, telling the middleman to tell me in his exact words what I’m doing is “no good” and that he’s willing to “let me off” with the steering wheel. Gee thanks for letting me off I suppose? 😅😅

I told the middle man today that if the seller tries any funny stuff I’m more than willing to forego the sale as I’m not desperate by any means 

21 hours ago, pocketscience said:

I'd refund his money and move on - plenty of other buyers. Life is too short to be dealing with dipshits.

Spot on ! ... it's a sellers market.  If your buyer is communicating with you like this prior to closing the transaction there is a very high probability of more stupid theatrics to come.  Don't waste another minute on this.  Plenty of buyers out there for good P's.  Refund and move on.   Disengage once you have returned the deposit and block any further communication. 

This person has no option.   He agreed to buy what he saw.  Absent any other precondition existing or not being met, it’s his.

If he elects to pull out, you could let him know you’ll keep the deposit and tell him that when you resell (which may take time … 🤑) if its less than what he agreed to, you’re retaining that from the deposit as compensation for breach.  If there’s some left over he gets it, if not, he doesn’t.

That’ll probably sort shit out and refocus him. 

But if you CBF’d, send him the money back and be rid of the idiot

I went through something similar a couple of times.  One I threatened and they did the deal, the other I sent back his money.  The latter came back much later and asked if I’d still sell it to him and offered less.  I shared some unflattering observations about his behaviour with him.   

All my dealing with you lot have been great.  Elsewhere, not so much.  The cars with heavy tags that I’ve sold go off market through brokers.   Easier for everyone.  

On 08/07/2021 at 16:01, Jkay said:

I recently advertised my Porsche for sale. Before advertising it, I swapped the wheels and also took off my sport design steering wheel with the PDK shifters and put the “button” wheel back on

The ad went up with these pictures and no mention was made of the old wheels nor the steering wheel I had removed. These items were NOT pictured in the advert 

Someone paid a deposit yesterday

Hes then found pictures of my car I posted previously on another Porsche forum from months ago with the other wheels And steering wheel and is  now complaining, implying the sale should include those items (which were never pictured or mentioned in my for sale advert) and what I’m doing is no good 

I obv think he’s unjustified, but I obviously would say that and wondering what others think and Am I indeed wrong ? 

Thanks

*I hope I’ve  posted in the correct section, if not please feel free to move it 

Some times I read stuff that beggars belief! What an absurd notion!

I guess this is why I absolutely hate selling cars privately, at least you have a middle man to filter the BS!

8 minutes ago, Grimmy said:

I guess this is why I absolutely hate selling cars privately, at least you have a middle man to filter the BS!

I don’t think I’d have the patience to sell anything without a middle person 😂…. 

Unless of course it’s to someone genuine like many on PFA or other true enthusiasts 

Small update- 

The buyer is finally able to view the car in person (after paying a deposit) but is still banging on about the wheels. He was unable to come over the last few weeks due to lockdown restrictions where I am in Asia. 

I promptly replied (via the middle man) that if that’s the case let’s return the deposit and he can find another car as I find it f’ing ridiculous anyone could have the audacity to demand wheels which were never promised to him and it’s honestly really pissing me off lol. 

Middle man doesn’t want to lose the deal so he’s said he will speak to the potential buyer. If he tries anything funny when he views it in a couple of hours I will be very tempted to ask him to piss off

6 hours ago, Jkay said:

Small update- 

The buyer is finally able to view the car in person (after paying a deposit) but is still banging on about the wheels. He was unable to come over the last few weeks due to lockdown restrictions where I am in Asia. 

I promptly replied (via the middle man) that if that’s the case let’s return the deposit and he can find another car as I find it f’ing ridiculous anyone could have the audacity to demand wheels which were never promised to him and it’s honestly really pissing me off lol. 

Middle man doesn’t want to lose the deal so he’s said he will speak to the potential buyer. If he tries anything funny when he views it in a couple of hours I will be very tempted to ask him to piss off

1862B219-62EF-4CA1-AC4E-5D145D0998EA.jpeg

Middle man pulled through and did a good job

I was already prepared with my answer had he demanded the wheels, which lets just say, would have been very straight to the point 😅… 

Guy came, took a test drive, asked for the wheels again, middle man said it’s a NO…. Buyer agrees to go ahead

Its not as simple as in Aus tho where you just sign and go, but we have to attend the local equivalent of the Transport NSW/VIC roads etc, then another agency and its done

Fingers crossed all goes well 

I swear had it not been for the middleman, this would never have materialised as I just don’t have the patience 😅

• 2 weeks later...

Internet buyers ... my god they will be saying you didnt vacuum it next... and getting refunds for the bad copy and grammar in the advert ;)    Remember the eyes are everywhere... i love how many opinions we all have and others have over cars they have never even seen ..     Let alone the buyers opinions 

Maybe we should talk about the appropriate use of the words relative vs absolute

I reckon low kms are sub 100kms another bloke told me 300kms 

Original to me, or original from factory - same same 

Everyone wants your instaglam lifestyle that didnt that come with the advert :) 

Tell him to bugger off or sell him the parts