New windscreen

sus911

Car needs a new screen and insurer offers an excess free glass claim.

They use O'Briens as their contractor who can only source an aftermarket screen with a tinted strip at the top. Original screen in my car is all clear and would prefer to keep it as close to original as possible. Only clear screens available are from Porsche. I'm thinking about whether to press the point.

Am I being too pedantic?

Is the tint noticeable? And is the cost difference significant

Im with Shannons - and was able to press the point with a genuine screen with my Golf GTi - I purchased it and sent them the invoice and they re-imbursed me. But we were talking $700.

I have had to replace windscreens in early 911's but this has always been at repaint time, and my repairer did all of the legwork.

Justin 

I had this problem last year with two aftermarket Chinese screens, they fit but do not have the plastic band that encapsulates the edge of the glass that holds the OEM rubber sealing strip. Not having this band means that the installer uses a wider than OEM aftermarket  rubber which in my opinion looks out of place. Obrein glass have the aftermarket and the European made glass you just need to find a helpful sales guy who will track one down in their system. I purchased my glass from Porsche Willoughby who offer classic pricing and a little more on some occasions. If you use the OEM glass ensure that the installer removes 99% of the existing sealant otherwise he will install it over the existing sealant and you will never get a good seal or fit. If you know a panel beater ask if he will install it or do it yourself its not difficult. 

Warren

5 hours ago, sus911 said:

Car needs a new screen and insurer offers an excess free glass claim.

They use O'Briens as their contractor who can only source an aftermarket screen with a tinted strip at the top. Original screen in my car is all clear and would prefer to keep it as close to original as possible. Only clear screens available are from Porsche. I'm thinking about whether to press the point.

Am I being too pedantic?

I would not use an aftermarket screen for fitment and flatness issues.  In anything.

I've bought two genuine 911 G series screens from PCM Melbourne in the last 12 months and they were $600 less than what I paid 10 years prior.  I bought one with the top tint with integral antenna and one without the top tint.  When I bought my last screen (5 weeks ago) they had one in the Tullamarine warehouse left after my purchase (top tint version).

The P/N for the top tint version with antenna is 911 541 011 27

Both were the same price, just under $1,300 inc.

Really, really a good idea to do the seal as well.

5 hours ago, mc968cs said:

interesting - what's a screen cost via the classic program? 

The 993 screen with tint & antennna was $1650 incl,,   O'brian quoted $1375 incl but no screens were available, they import their own OEM screens. You might need to allow new internal and externals seals if going OEM.

O'Briens only offer their aftermarket source of screens and seals. They state their screens are "made in the same factory as the Porsche screens". I think their screens are around $560 but only with the green shaded strip, no clear screens. The cost from Porsche is around $1,600 for the correct screen. I've already bought the original seal.

My main concern is keeping the car as original as possible, not so much the source of the screen as the style of the screen. It came with a completely clear screen and it seems the only way I can correctly replace it is with an original Porsche one.

There's no mention in the policy of original/aftermarket screens in that clause so I may press Shannons on this

17 hours ago, mc968cs said:

interesting - what's a screen cost via the classic program? 

Free excess for one glass panel per year.

4 hours ago, sus911 said:

O'Briens only offer their aftermarket source of screens and seals. They state their screens are "made in the same factory as the Porsche screens". I think their screens are around $560 but only with the green shaded strip, no clear screens. The cost from Porsche is around $1,600 for the correct screen. I've already bought the original seal.

My main concern is keeping the car as original as possible, not so much the source of the screen as the style of the screen. It came with a completely clear screen and it seems the only way I can correctly replace it is with an original Porsche one.

There's no mention in the policy of original/aftermarket screens in that clause so I may press Shannons on this

Free excess for one glass panel per year.

Can I ask which PC quoted you the $1,600?  It's a few hundred more than what I paid in Melbourne recently.

I think it might be a good idea to see what screen with your car originally.  You can do this via an OPC and quoting the VIN.  The reason I mention this, is on my 85 and 87 MY 911s, both were supplied ex factory, Australian specification, with a top tint.  If yours is an Australian car (Version C23) you can also check this via a contemporary price list.  If your car is for example a UK imported car, (Version C16) I have no idea what was standard there.  But it raises the possibility that your screen may be an original Porsche windscreen, but not original to the car.

I do know that your 1984 screen should be manufactured by Sigla.  The watermark will be in the lower left hand side of the screen.

16 hours ago, Peter M said:

Phil,

I had O'Brien replace the screen on my first 3.2 using a non genuine screen and the existing seal.  No problem, they did a neat job too.

Sorry, this doesn't help your decision making!

Lucky you.  I put a non genuine screen in a 911 once.  The installer kicked the old screen out with his feet.   Small shards of glass went all over the bonnet and worse, down the demisting vents.  The screen was rubbish too, it had vertical waves/lines in the glass which made night driving a challenge.

It was PC Willoughby.

Car is C23 plated. The screen in it I believe is the original, Sigla, no tint. Car was 3 years old with 3,000k on it when I bought it.

Forgive my ignorance but what is an OPC? I have all the original books.

1 hour ago, sus911 said:

It was PC Willoughby.

Car is C23 plated. The screen in it I believe is the original, Sigla, no tint. Car was 3 years old with 3,000k on it when I bought it.

Forgive my ignorance but what is an OPC? I have all the original books.

OK, great, then the original order will show that is was delivered with that clear screen.  It would be unusual, but not impossible that the screen was changed early in the cars life, but to be sure, I think you really need to:

1. Check version C23 for your 1984 model year to see what was standard.

2. Get the COA (Certificate of Authenticity) from your OPC (Official Porsche Centre) to see what options were ordered with your car ex factory.  

My 1985 car has a SIGLA screen, the 1987 (Which also had a SIGLA from new) I put a new genuine screen it it about 10 years ago and that is watermarked Pilkington.  Both 1985 and 1987 MY 911s were standard to Australia with a top tint.  I have a new screen here in the box I collected recently but I've been too lazy to open it, happy to check the manufacturer if you like.  I paid a tad under $1,300 GST Inc. from PCM.

Some pics from 10 years ago to inspire you:

L1110600.jpg

L1110611.jpg

If you're fitting a new seal (IMO a must do to eliminate any chance of water ingress) it is vital to remove all the old sealant.  In the above image the frame is as it was with the screen removed.  Some hours later it started to look like this, below:

L1110633.jpg

L1110618.jpg

L1110630.jpg

I just had a new screen fitted today in my 924 Turbo.

Windscreen claim through Shannons .. O'Brien supplied and fitted (aftermarket). Has green tint on top.

Can't really comment on quality yet as haven't used it. The guy was great. Knowledgeable and friendly.

As it's now a weekend warrior car, I wasn't too pedantic about originality. No complaints so far.

• 1 year later...

Only a year later Shannons have agreed that the car should have an original screen fitted and have agreed to reimburse me for the cost, including a new seal and installation!

Now I need to find one....

By the way, Thredbo was epic last year with fresh pow & virtually no one on the mountain. That will never happen again.

• 1 year later...

Picked up a big chip yesterday. Called Shannons today to take up the free windshield replacement service, although I had to convince the rep I didn't need to pay an excess. 

They are giving me two options for my 1969 911:

1. New seal + Porsche genuine clear glass - but it comes with a rear view mirror mount already attached. Not available in green tint.
  2. New seal + aftermarket green tint glass.  They will remove and remount the existing rear view mirror.

Neither is a perfect option. 

When we change screens we only use Porsche oem glass and seal. Often it’s a fight with the insurer as the policies usually have a clause of reasonable cost which in their opinion is a $750 aftermarket screen fitted by O’brien’s.

I tried to order a green band 901 screen this week however not in stock Germany and no estimate of when any will be made. Clear glass was in stock in melb so we’re fitting that and it was just over $1400 ex gst list on classic pricing

each model has different screen configurations and pricing so difficult to compare a 993 to a g body screen