Exhaust Options 1987 911 3.2

Hi everyone,

I'm helping a friend who is wanting to purchase an exhaust system for his 3.2. Ideally a straight bolt on. The car currently has a standard exhaust system. 

Any recommendations and feedback would be great. New or used is fine. 

Are they looking for improved sound or improved performance?  A new muffler works great on these cars and gives nice noise.  A whole set of headers and muffler can open up performance, especially with a performance chip. Depends on budget and goals. 

Note that most performance exhausts lose the heat exchangers so if they want heat/defrost on their car that changes the equation as well.

It's more for the sound. Performance wise won't be anything major from an exhaust system I'd think anyway. Noticeable maybe, but nothing major. Correct me if I'm wrong. 

The car is completely standard at present and will be left that way, bar the exhaust. 

34 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Sounds like he just wants a bolt on muffler. 

Monty

Dansk

It will sound like it has 25 extra hp. 

Pretty much. 

Is there much of a price difference between new and second hand? I've also noticed the 2 in 1 out, one in one out etc. 

Yours is 1 in1 out, Dansk, Monty have that... also look at M&K and scart if you have plenty of $$$

if you want 2 in, you’ll need to change more than just a muffler.

For extra consideration  I also upgraded to a sports cat... 100cell from 800 I think it is... 

Another one you should definately look up, is the Mille Miglia that Lambros at Hitech Mufflers produces. I cannot comment on the performance increase if any, however I am a BIG fan of the exhaust note it produces. :)

https://millemiglia.com.au/porsche-exhausts/

On 13/08/2019 at 20:09, Peter M said:

Exhausts for Carrera 3.2's

You would think after selling 76,000 3.2's there would be a ready source of accurate information on what are the best exhausts to use on these cars?  Except for Steve Wong's infamous comparison table - http://forums.pelicanparts.com/4082599-post49.html - that he later declared as inaccurate, there was nothing definitive that I could find.  After reading a million posts and dyno charts, this is what I uncovered:

• Porsche increased the size of the exhaust primaries from the earlier 1 1/2 inch OD to 1 5/8 inch with the introduction of the 3.2's in 1984.
  • SSI's having only 1 1/2 primaries aid torque below around 2,800rpm and moderate it above.  Cabin heat still works well
  • The standard 3.2 headers actually perform very well and any sensible owner would just change the primary muffler/ catalytic converter to a straight through pipe and change the main muffler to one of the better brands like Monty, M&K etc. 
  • Eisenmann do a 1 5/8 inch version of SSI's in two versions ( F model fits the generic style Porsche 2 in rear muffler or the G model that has a Eisenmann propriety catalyst and rear muffler) but are eye wateringly expensive and there has been a number of posts on Pelican about poor fitment and fabrication.

I originally intended to only change my pistons and cylinders to the higher Euro spec compression ratio and run SSI's and actually bought a set of both.  I do like the SSI look and sound.  However a run up the grade of the Oxley Highway one Saturday afternoon inspired a desire for more horsepower as I couldn't keep up with a stock 996 let alone a Gallardo so these items were sold off and a set of 3.4 pistons purchased. 

Since heat was important to me I purchased a set of BBE stainless 1 5/8 inch primary headers with hot boxes that I had modified to work with the standard 3.2 air distribution pipe to keep a neat look and to avoid the 10 miles of flexible hosing that always makes me think of the "Danger Will Robinson!" robot in Lost in Space.  I topped it off with a Dansk Motorsport 2 in/1 out muffler as I got it cheapish from Design911 but would have bought an M&K otherwise.

EDIT:  Some interesting comments on how good the standard 3.2 exhaust discussed here: 

http://forums.pelicanparts.com/porsche-911-technical-forum/1074815-88-3-6-conversion-planning-exhaust-advice-requested.html

0V1nHrv.jpg   

Wangan,

From my experience I would suggest you keep the standard headers as they perform very well, replace the small muffler with either a straight through pipe or sports cat (for the post '86 cars) and install either a Monty or M&K 1 in/1 out main muffler.

Just be a bit wary of the 2 out mufflers as they often suffer drone problems.

29 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Wangan,

From my experience I would suggest you keep the standard headers as they perform very well, replace the small muffler with either a straight through pipe or sports cat (for the post '86 cars) and install either a Monty or M&K 1 in/1 out main muffler.

Just be a bit wary of the 2 out mufflers as they often suffer drone problems.

Thanks @Peter M 

He's pretty set on a monty, or an M&K after a bit of reading on pelican parts and a few YouTube videos. 

I guess I'll keep a look out. If anyone's considering selling, please flick me through a PM. 

Are there any recommendations for bypass pipes? 

31 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

mille miglia.png

Thanks Mike. 

Sounds great in the video you've sent. Can't find any pricing on their site. 

Are you still able to source M&K mufflers new? 

Just FYI and a bit of a left field alternative, I changed to 993 Bischoff heat exchangers (1 5/8”)  with an M&K 2 in 1 out. The idle sound is a bit gnarly at idle but barely noticeable when you’re running and definitely no drone. Have a Steve Wong 911 Chips in it also. It runs very strong and dyno confirms this. I don’t have the figures with me now but from memory were RWHP so difficult to interpolate to meaningful crankshaft HP. 

The weight saving is nothing less than massive.  

On 28/07/2021 at 09:31, OBRUT said:

I had one that I sold on to @JonoF - veeeeery loud.

I've heard an M&K and I really liked it. I'd consider buying one. 

Bisimoto looks interesting. @OBRUT, do you know how it compares in terms of loudness compared to you're standard Monty, M&K and Dansk? 

1 hour ago, rminc said:

Well, funny you mention M&K, someone on the forum, don’t who he his... wrote a lengthy sometimes boring 🙂 but with a happy ending popping on a glorious M&K muffler.... even added a before and after vid. Go to the last page .... M&K soul music!

2 hours ago, rminc said:

Bisimoto looks interesting. @OBRUT, do you know how it compares in terms of loudness compared to you're standard Monty, M&K and Dansk? 

I never fitted it. Didn’t like the look.