Exhaust Options 1987 911 3.2

On 28/07/2021 at 09:07, wangan said:

They sound alright from the YouTube videos 

Watch "How does the Bisimoto Pulse chamber work?" on YouTube
https://youtu.be/5lbQU0MSkiw

I have one installed on my viper green 72T (running a 2.7). It is MEAN and LOUD!!!  I love it. Lots. My neighbours, general members of the public, my passengers, and other drivers…not so much. 

On 28/07/2021 at 09:37, autojack said:

There is an optional sound arrestor which cuts down the noise if required. Were you using that?

The sound arrestor fitting is helpful to reduce drone, but it’s still pretty loud! 

On 31/07/2021 at 18:02, rminc said:

I've heard an M&K and I really liked it. I'd consider buying one. 

Bisimoto looks interesting. @OBRUT, do you know how it compares in terms of loudness compared to you're standard Monty, M&K and Dansk? 

Louder! 

• 4 months later...

My friend ended up purchasing the Monty exhaust system. Fitted it over the Xmas break. Sounds great!

Has got me thinking about purchasing one. 

Just in the interest of being different, does anyone know if there is much of a difference between the money, dansk and M&K. From what I have read they're all very similar. Maybe someone having heard all 3 can chime in. 

Wangan,

The only similarity is that they are louder than standard!

Trying to get a recommendation is next to impossible as we all have different tastes.  It's further complicated by the fact that M&K and Dansk to a lesser extent offer different sound level options.  Also these sound levels have also changed over time with the early versions for the mufflers sounding different to current versions in response to customer feed back.

Consequently I just suggest you keep your eye out for a 1 in / 1 out in reasonable condition and grab that irrespective of if it is a Monty, M&K or a Dansk.  I'm confident you will be happy with any of these 3 brands.

Just be aware that Dansk sell standard replacements too so there is a risk of replacing like with like so you will need to be familiar with the part numbers of the Sports mufflers. 

49 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Wangan,

The only similarity is that they are louder than standard!

Trying to get a recommendation is next to impossible as we all have different tastes.  It's further complicated by the fact that M&K and Dansk to a lesser extent offer different sound level options.  Also these sound levels have also changed over time with the early versions for the mufflers sounding different to current versions in response to customer feed back.

Consequently I just suggest you keep your eye out for a 1 in / 1 out in reasonable condition and grab that irrespective of if it is a Monty, M&K or a Dansk.  I'm confident you will be happy with any of these 3 brands.

Just be aware that Dansk sell standard replacements too so there is a risk of replacing like with like so you will need to be familiar with the part numbers of the Sports mufflers. 

Thanks Peter. 

I was trying to help my friend find one, but he ended up purchasing new. I think I'll do the same. I might be waiting for a while for one to come up. 

10 hours ago, wangan said:

I might be waiting for a while for one to come up. 

You may be surprised to find:

Porsche 911 Carrera 3.2 Monty exhaust muffler | eBay

I also have a 1 in/ 1out M&K (MKM33 Single Inlet single Outlet | M&K Exhaust (mkexhaust.com) ) I could be persuaded to give up too.   It's a shade more raucous than the Monty I had previously.  I was equally happy with either on my 3.2's. 

1 hour ago, Peter M said:

I also have a 1 in/ 1out M&K (MKM33 Single Inlet single Outlet | M&K Exhaust (mkexhaust.com) ) I could be persuaded to give up too.   It's a shade more raucous than the Monty I had previously.  I was equally happy with either on my 3.2's. 

Thanks Peter. I've sent you a message. 

4 hours ago, jakroo said:

Be wary of exhaust advice from Peter.

I'll just leave this here.....🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣

For the purposes of accuracy in reporting, this is with BBE headers and Dansk Motorsport 2 in /1 out muffler.

It is on the obnoxious side and will probably replace it with an M&K eventually.....maybe.    

A copper has said to me "Mate, I'm sure it is quieter on the inside." at a RBT stop.

2 hours ago, Peter M said:

For the purposes of accuracy in reporting, this is with BBE headers and Dansk Motorsport 2 in /1 out muffler.

It is on the obnoxious side and will probably replace it with an M&K eventually.....maybe.    

A copper has said to me "Mate, I'm sure it is quieter on the inside." at a RBT stop.

From personal experience, I think it's quieter at 5000rpm:D

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all, 

I'm about to bite the bullet on either a Monty or an M&K. I've watched a few videos and honestly can't hear much of a difference. 

Monty sell a cat bypass pipe and an exhaust, which I would buy, whereas M&K don't have the bypass pipe and have a premuffler, which I would buy. 

Can anyone who has heard both let me know if there is any real difference, or should I just go for what is cheaper? Any recommendations would be great. 

As mentioned, I bought a Monty 1 in - 1 out muffler from this forum, to replace my original tired muffler (1988 3.2). I have been very pleased with it as it is much lighter and more compact than the original.  The note is purposeful but not noisy at any point. I probably should have bought the cat bypass at the same time.

29 minutes ago, Merv said:

As mentioned, I bought a Monty 1 in - 1 out muffler from this forum, to replace my original tired muffler (1988 3.2). I have been very pleased with it as it is much lighter and more compact than the original.  The note is purposeful but not noisy at any point. I probably should have bought the cat bypass at the same time.

Have you heard a M&K in comparison? 

17 minutes ago, Peter M said:

Ross,

M&K actually sell a plain bypass pipe too:  Bypass Pipe | M&K Exhaust (mkexhaust.com)

Thanks Peter. I must have clicked on another link, because it was coming up as unavailable. 

The M&K is about $500 cheaper new. 

• 1 month later...

To anyone that's looking. I've been on off looking for an M&K for a few months now. I thought I'd price one up new, as I haven't been able to find anything used. With a cat bypass pipe, it came to just under $2,000 delivered from Europe with taxes. 

Then I read that the monty is very similar, just not as well built. Made in Australia too, so I priced that up. Was suprised that it was more at $2,340.

I decided to pull the trigger on the M&K, but they won't have stock for a few months, so just going to wait it out. 

3 hours ago, rminc said:

To anyone that's looking. I've been on off looking for an M&K for a few months now. I thought I'd price one up new, as I haven't been able to find anything used. With a cat bypass pipe, it came to just under $2,000 delivered from Europe with taxes. 

Then I read that the monty is very similar, just not as well built. Made in Australia too, so I priced that up. Was suprised that it was more at $2,340.

I decided to pull the trigger on the M&K, but they won't have stock for a few months, so just going to wait it out. 

The last M&K I bought, I got direct from Brian at Rarlyl8 in the USA, not Europe.  He only charges $50 shipping to Australia, no joke. 

I thought M&K were made in the USA? The below are $795 USD

https://mkexhaust.com/single-inlet-single-outlet/

11 minutes ago, Mike D'Silva said:

The last M&K I bought, I got direct from Brian at Rarlyl8 in the USA, not Europe.  He only charges $50 shipping to Australia, no joke. 

I thought M&K were made in the USA? The below are $795 USD

https://mkexhaust.com/single-inlet-single-outlet/

For some reason I thought UK. You're right USA. 

M&K also uses 321 stainless and Monty uses 304.

I've priced them off that website Mike. $100 shipping for the cat bypass and muffler, along with the 10% duty. 

I wanted something sooner and am all for supporting Australian business, but I think the M&K is the way to go. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 26/12/2021 at 12:18, Peter M said:

Hey @Peter M do you still have that MK33? If So, still willing to let it go? I’ve been on the search for one for my 85 Carrera but can’t find any new stock. 

5 hours ago, CarreraB said:

Hey @Peter M do you still have that MK33? If So, still willing to let it go? I’ve been on the search for one for my 85 Carrera but can’t find any new stock. 

@CarreraBI'm planning on reinstalling my standard headers and the M&K to at least refamiliarise as my current BBE/Dansk Motorsport set up is too loud for my (refined!) tastes.

Suggest you just keep an eye out in the classified section of PFA and also eBay as they do come up for sale including the equally desirable Monty's

@Peter M I totally understand that refined taste. Ha! Interesting to hear you think the Dansk is too loud. I was considering the sport muffler from them as I liked the sound. Do you think your aftermarket headers are making it louder?

I’ve been watching videos of the Moneys too. I feel like they sound a little too “muscle car” though. 

I would expect the aftermarket headers to offer less attenuation based on the assumption that flow and noise are related proportionally.  However I have absolutely no idea and would be surprised if the increase in noise is any more than negligible

But as I'm realising with increasing frustration, no one seems know with any certainty (ie opinion based on real data) what are the best mufflers for these cars.  Surely we should know as a community which exhausts provide power gains and what the relativity is between them in terms of noise. There are pages and pages of posts regarding this subject on Pelican Forum and still no one really knows!   It appears most people are happy to spend their money based on trust and folk law.

If I ever buy another 3.2, it will be just like my first, standard headers and most likely a Monty 1 into 1.  "Just right!" to quote a bear.