How much do you pay for workshop labour?

Sov

I have a service due on my new (to me) 996 Turbo so was shopping around a few workshops to get a feel for costs.

Basically I have two options that are convenient to me, an independant near my house that charges $159/hr and the local Porsche dealership which charges $179/hr (apparently my car qualifies for 'classic pricing') with an additional 10% off parts.

It's 6 of one, half dozen of the other as to which I use. The dealer offers 2 years warranty on their work, a loan car, and with the 10% discount on parts ends up being not much dearer than the independant.

But then I realised I have no base to compare either to. My wife and I have been living in Central & South America for the past 7 years so I was completely out of touch with prices here. Perhaps BOTH are overcharging and I'd never know!

Which brings me to my question, how much are you paying for workshop labour?

4 minutes ago, the_sovereign_man said:

I have a service due on my new (to me) 996 Turbo so was shopping around a few workshops to get a feel for costs.

Basically I have two options that are convenient to me, an independant near my house that charges $159/hr and the local Porsche dealership which charges $179/hr (apparently my car qualifies for 'classic pricing') with an additional 10% off parts.

It's 6 of one, half dozen of the other as to which I use. The dealer offers 2 years warranty on their work, a loan car, and with the 10% discount on parts ends up being not much dearer than the independant.

But then I realised I have no base to compare either to. My wife and I have been living in Central & South America for the past 7 years so I was completely out of touch with prices here. Perhaps BOTH are overcharging and I'd never know!

Which brings me to my question, how much are you paying for workshop labour?

Lucky in Tassie, plus I think my gives me an excellent deal, $120/hr.  Independent, experienced in Porsche race and road rally prep with good Porsche Centre contacts 

I’ve never heard about the classic pricing before. Interesting. That dealer rate seems about right. From my point of view there should be a larger spread between dealer and independent to justify not using the dealer. Unless of course you have an independent you really, really trust.

4 minutes ago, spiller said:

I’ve never heard about the classic pricing before. Interesting. That dealer rate seems about right. From my point of view there should be a larger spread between dealer and independent to justify not using the dealer. Unless of course you have an independent you really, really trust.

The dealer pricing for "non classics" was from memory $250/hr 😨

22 minutes ago, the_sovereign_man said:

The dealer pricing for "non classics" was from memory $250/hr 😨

Last time I rang Porsche the service girl just gave me a total figure over the phone. Will have to delve a bit deeper next time. Interesting that Porsche are going against the grain by discounting the “classics”. If it was Ferrari I’m sure anything with classic attached to it would be double the usual rate 😀

9 hours ago, Coastr said:

Depends on where you are with the independent pricing.  At that price I’d be going dealer servicing, and I have Only done that a few times in my life.

That price was with Euro Tune in Miami, not sure if there's other/better options?

On 27/07/2021 at 17:22, LeeM said:

Yet people have a cry about a builder/plumber/sparkies hourly rate? 🙄

Well that depends ofcourse.

are the tradies doing the work in their own leased premises?

By all accounts I cry about them all 😁

2 hours ago, Joz said:

Well that depends ofcourse.

are the tradies doing the work in their own leased premises?

Nah, just paying for all the tools, consumables, vehicles, transport, liability and other insurance, costs that a Porsche shop has to also pay...then pay themselves a 'wage' 😅😁

8 hours ago, LeeM said:

Nah, just paying for all the tools, consumables, vehicles, transport, liability and other insurance, costs that a Porsche shop has to also pay...then pay themselves a 'wage' 😅😁

So which variety of tradie are you? ☺️

Mate I feel like I've got all of them working at my place ATM, I'm haemorrhaging big time.

4 hours ago, Joz said:

So which variety of tradie are you? ☺️

Mate I feel like I've got all of them working at my place ATM, I'm haemorrhaging big time.

No real title, just a Jack of all trades, master of none. Mainly carpentry though