Safari Cayenne...

Fishcop

Questions for the gallery. 

My brother thinks he wants to build himself a 'Safari' style Cayenne - just a fun car to run up to the snow, tow a boat and take his kids camping, it's not a daily driver per se and fuel economy isn't the be-all end-all :D

My questions to any of you in the know is should he start with a diesel or petrol?  If the petrol, does he go whole hog and find a GTS?  And is there a preference for a particular series - first gen/second gen etc...  Budget is about $35-40k.

• 3 months later...

am about to start this as well ...

started with an 09 diesel repairable write off - $10k on the road and dont really care if it gets a bit scratched ...

only thing done so far is a set of 18" rims with 31.5" a/t tyres ... have a 25mm lift to go in and need to build the bash plates / front bar now ...

1 hour ago, barrym said:

started with an 09 diesel repairable write off - $10k on the road and dont really care if it gets a bit scratched ...

only thing done so far is a set of 18" rims with 31.5" a/t tyres ... have a 25mm lift to go in and need to build the bash plates / front bar now ...

Awesome base for this project, please keep us posted :)

On 01/12/2021 at 12:10, barrym said:

And there I was Baz, about to send you the link . . . . . .

• 2 weeks later...

i have been pondering the same project for a while now and at the stage of looking for a good starting base. Spoke with my panel guy who has some space i can use and was going to have a crack this week at what appeared a cheap GTS in Melb however it sold yesterday. I'm not sure if that's an omen 🤣

I have always like fast wagons and I think these are such a good base for a daily toy to drive. Good Safari parts appear to be available ex US and shipping prices are not stupid if buying all of the gear together and combine with some local fabrication its not going to be a huge money pit for the look.  Am i mad? 

I will keep an eye on market and see if i fall over a good base V8 even if i dont safari it is a good daily to keep parked in the street.

12 minutes ago, Tips said:

Good Safari parts appear to be available ex US and shipping prices are not stupid if buying all of the gear together and combine with some local fabrication its not going to be a huge money pit for the look.  Am i mad? 

Not mad... no idea on cost, but like a good wine list I can turn a blind eye for certain things :lol: 

I have my Macan Turbo on the market, I will miss it, but come the day I need another SUV I will buy a 92A onward Cayenne and order up from E-Motion Engineering I love what he does with his Overlande builds.  

@Tips are you talking about the red one on facebook? If so the buyer is trying to flip it for 45K and is getting ripped to shreds on all of the Porsche pages currently. There have been a couple of clean looking GTS with 100,000 km come up in the last two months around the 35K mark and both have sold quickly. I wanted a GTS originally but decided on the turbo for not much more because why not and figured it would be better for towing. GTS is a good starting point for an off roader or even a low milage S.

16 minutes ago, spiller said:

@Tips are you talking about the red one on facebook? If so the buyer is trying to flip it for 45K and is getting ripped to shreds on all of the Porsche pages currently. There have been a couple of clean looking GTS with 100,000 km come up in the last two months around the 35K mark and both have sold quickly. I wanted a GTS originally but decided on the turbo for not much more because why not and figured it would be better for towing. GTS is a good starting point for an off roader or even a low milage S.

I am aware of the red one well known Sydney dealer, $45k for 211k km 😳

there was another on car sales with 145k km for $27.5. I’ll bide my time still enjoying the 996 which stays until the 912 gets up from Adelaide late Jan😁

9 hours ago, edgy said:

Not mad... no idea on cost, but like a good wine list I can turn a blind eye for certain things :lol: 

I have my Macan Turbo on the market, I will miss it, but come the day I need another SUV I will buy a 92A onward Cayenne and order up from E-Motion Engineering I love what he does with his Overlande builds.  

been a while since we perused a wine list, need to do something new year

• 1 month later...

i've also started toying with the idea..  family daily that can go to the beach one day.. probably get bogged and laughed at, but whatever.

Heard the 9PA is slightly more "overbuilt" for 4wd ing with the transfer case and all, however prefer the 92A, and maybe just the base model diesel. 

Haven't done that much research, but is there a good "starting point" for all this? just watched the e-motion builds and they look like 92A's base model diesels.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 7 months later...