Cayman manual purchase info

Boxer

Hi all,

done a bit of research but looking for more info to help choose which variant of Cayman in a manual to source.

Having read alot of reviews on the manuals with long ratio 2nd and 3rd gears really put me off Caymans for quite a while, but aside from that they are ticking most of the boxes for me in a weekend toy and occasional track day.  So many frustrated comments out there of being too tall geared for the street (and I suspect mine would be 90/10 street to track)
I have PDK in the daily and I really want the manual shift on the weekend car.

Reading more into it, it appears the 987 in Cayman base has a shorter ratio than in the S, does this still carry over into the 981 as well?  For those with base Caymans in manual what are you finding is the redline kmh in 2nd and 3rd?  Is the S as long geared as the GT4 or is that another long gear altogether?

So if to get a shorter geared Cayman I end up sourcing for a Base over the S - will it still suffice as a decent track car or will it just be too undergunned?  In 987 variant I would only consider the 2nd gen 987.2 for the 2.9lt and nil IMS etc.  The 981 then went back to 2.7lt - again is this going to be undergunned ?

Was sport chrono option only available in the S variant?  Any other options to tickle the base models power much?

Otherwise for those with manual Caymans - are you happy with the gearing for road as well as track?

I just don't get the current day criticism of the gear ratios. My 996 GT3 RS pretty much maxed out at the same speeds in the first few gears and yet not once have I read or heard anybody dump on the 996 RS for its long ratios. Indeed it was a hoot to drive on road and on track. And it was pretty much the same for the 964 RS. So IMHO, it's a fad that everyone feels compelled to repeat. Lemmings comes to mind.

@Boxer I had a 2008 987.1 S manual and found the gearbox to be brilliant & didn’t have an issue with the ratios during spirited road driving. I’ve been trying to find a 987.2 S manual for a fair while and haven’t seen a single car for sale, manual 981’s are also a rare find. 

The reason why the gearing is so long on recent models is because of emissions requirements. So the 981 and 718 will have longer gearing than the earlier models. The only way to know is to test drive the models you are interested in. 

10 hours ago, WGA said:

I just don't get the current day criticism of the gear ratios. My 996 GT3 RS pretty much maxed out at the same speeds in the first few gears and yet not once have I read or heard anybody dump on the 996 RS for its long ratios. Indeed it was a hoot to drive on road and on track. And it was pretty much the same for the 964 RS. So IMHO, it's a fad that everyone feels compelled to repeat. Lemmings comes to mind.

I hear you but horses for courses, too.  I enjoy the activity and engagement of shifting, and already find even on my 911 I'd like it a little shorter and shift more often.   You may find more that comments are simply coming from those with a different opinion and coming from a road driving perspective as Cayman and S are more road - GT3 more track.  Many of the reports are from respected sources. and not being sheep.  Coming from something like a TypeR Honda the short gears are very satisfying to use, but you can always keep the engine on the boil better without doing illegal speeds.  Fine for the track of course

9 hours ago, Yeatesy said:

@Boxer I had a 2008 987.1 S manual and found the gearbox to be brilliant & didn’t have an issue with the ratios during spirited road driving. I’ve been trying to find a 987.2 S manual for a fair while and haven’t seen a single car for sale, manual 981’s are also a rare find. 

Thanks!  I always seem to be drawn to the hard to find cars too.  Appreciate the commentary on your experience, unsure how to substantiate which models have what ratios, there is a bit of info out there, but nothing I have found all definitive.

34 minutes ago, Apogee said:

The reason why the gearing is so long on recent models is because of emissions requirements. So the 981 and 718 will have longer gearing than the earlier models. The only way to know is to test drive the models you are interested in. 

True, but there is value in some homework first to know what to then drive to compare, at the moment asking for the info on experiences of the Base vs S engines and ratios others have found.

I have already driven 718 (unimpressed) and 987.2 PDK but as above the manuals harder to source

My 2008 Cayman 2.7l , 5 speed manual feels and drives brilliant , very happy with gear ratios . Spirited hill climbs mostly in 2nd and 3rd gear. Does not feel under powered , but you got to drive her „ like you mean it“. The handling and ability to corner fasts, makes up for some missing HP. 

On 09/08/2021 at 10:22, leechj said:

I'm in brisbane, '06 987.1 Cayman S, if you want to have a drive. 

Very generous - thank you, will keep your kind offer in mind.  I'm thinking of heading to Cars & Coffee at Samford on Sunday

On 08/08/2021 at 22:25, Boxer said:

Was sport chrono option only available in the S variant?  Any other options to tickle the base models power much?

Sport Chrono was also availble in the Base 2.7. 

Also, there were some Base models that were optioned with factory 6 speed manual. I think it was a paired option with PASM... 

I'm not sure about the ratios on a 2.7 with 6 speed vs 3.4 with 6 speed.. 

4 hours ago, Barks said:

My 987.1 S is awesome to drive in a spirited manner. 2nd gear redline will take you beyond the legal limit and 3rd seems to be the goto for mountain driving. BTW the base car has a 5 speed and the S has a 6 speed. Either one will make you smile!

3 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Also, there were some Base models that were optioned with factory 6 speed manual. I think it was a paired option with PASM... 

Thanks - I am only looking at 987.2 upwards which were all 6 speed in the manual form and had the 2.9lt in base and the 3.4S both with updated non IMS engines

3 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

Didn't 6 sp become standard on the 987.2 base Boxster & Cayman?  We had a 7.1 Boxster S and the 6 sp was a delight to use, and ratios well matched to our driving and use of the car.

Must admit I wasn't aware Sport Chrono was an option on the 987.  We have it on our base 2013 981 Boxster though.

Brilliant gearbox in the S.  60km/h for 1st, 115km/h 2nd and I think 140ish for 3rd, might be a little higher.  you play with 3rd and 2nd for a good run in some twisties.  Only car i have ever had that you can actually shift into 1st while moving at speed.

981 2.7 MT gearing is long in 1st and 2nd. Be prepared to be 'blown away' at the lights and tight second gear corners by Polo GTi's... 

Where the 2.7 MT starts to make a lot of sense is top of 2nd, 3rd and 4th, which are very nicely stacked.

Unfortunately that equates to 100-180km/h on the speedo, which is not exactly suited to public road driving. However on the track it works brilliantly.