OBD II Scanner

Sov

23 minutes ago, P-Kay said:

Depends on what you want to achieve. A cheap eBay/SuperCheap special will read the codes. Having said that, the choice of most is the iCarSoft

I have an intermittent check engine light, that is never on when it's at the workshop of course, and I want to work out what's causing it.

I have both a FOXWELL NT510 Elite Full System OBD1/OBD2 Diagnostic Tool and  Cobb Access Port which allow reading and clearing of codes.

The FOXWELL NT510 can clear airbag errors (which the Cobb cannot) and can be used on any number of Porsches, where as the Cobb Access Port is effectively married to one vehicle at a time. I like the Cobb's ability to data log but unless you need a tune for your 996 turbo then the FOXWELL is the $$ better option.

I had one of these (not this particular one, but the same item appears under several different brand names) which was perfectly adequate for that basic diagnostic stuff, and it even let you do a reset of the CEL.  I had a sticky Vario cam actuator in my 996.2 which caused the CEL to come on periodically, and this was good as I could check that it was the same codes coming up, and therefore knew what the issue was

https://www.supercheapauto.com.au/p/kincrome-kincrome-automotive-diagnostic-code-reader/587976.html

iCarsoft POR v2 is in my glovebox.  It has allowed me to identify failed coil packs,  an intermittently failing cam sensor, and clear the resulting CEL.  It also lets you reset oil levels and service notificartions.  Pretty good for less than $300 delivered.  Porsche specific, great if you have a stable, but otherwise can't be used on any other makes.

Have both the Durametic (requires laptop) and iCarsoft. Love the Durametic and definitely recommend if you don;t mind shellign out the extra $$$'s for it. I carry the iCarsoft in the car with the tool kit and while it does not have all the functionality of the Durametic, its a good little unit.