996 Caliper colours

Stepo

@Peter 996 got me thinking after commenting in another thread re BBS rims and black Carrera calipers:

Can someone give me a lesson on 996 calipers?

My 996.2 Carrera coupe has black calipers but I saw a 996.2 Targa today and it had red calipers?

Were red and black specific to models and years?

10 minutes ago, Stepo said:

@Peter 996 got me thinking after commenting in another thread re BBS rims and black Carrera calipers:

Can someone give me a lesson on 996 calipers?

My 996.2 Carrera coupe has black calipers but I saw a 996.2 Targa today and it had red calipers?

Were red and black specific to models and years?

My '03 Carrera has black calipers.  Don't judge me.

I believe black was standard equipment but you could option them with Red (CRD), Silver (CRE), or Yellow (CRF). Someone more knowledgable than me will know for sure.

There's also the option that someone has just had them repainted. I've seen pink calipers.

1 hour ago, tomo said:

I think that's pretty accurate for the later cars.  I think the colour options for the 996 were mostly just options as opposed to a 'designation'?

I do know that the selling point for the 996 C4S was that it was very close to identical to the turbo chassis right down to suspension and the bigger brakes (big reds).  Of course you missed out on the lovely turbo hip intakes and Metzler :D  I saw yellow brakes on a black 996 recently (Carsales?) and they looked really good - wondered if they were original, got my answer!

28 minutes ago, Merv said:

So it was only the TT, GT3 and GT2 had the Reds?

And the C4S

But are we conflating the brake type (size) with the brake colour?  From what is being explained - it seems you could have nearly any brake package in any of 3 colours depending on boxes ticked at purchase?

Hold my anorak...

C2/C4 could be ordered with silver, yellow or red calipers - other wise they were black.

C4S, Turbo and GTs got bigger brakes - red by default, but you could order them in yellow, silver and presumably black?  Carbon brakes have yellow calipers by default (and probably no other colour option).

42 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

But are we conflating the brake type (size) with the brake colour?

42 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

From what is being explained - it seems you could have nearly any brake package in any of 3 colours depending on boxes ticked at purchase?

Exactly!

And let's not forget, these cars are two decades old now, calipers could have been repainted in any number of colours.

1 hour ago, Rajvosa said:

mine were black. 
bought some new decals off eBay and had the paint shop I use do them in red. 

My black ones could also do with some attention and I like the red look, good result IMO

Powder  coat does the job, They bake them @ around 185- 240 c , But I suppose the calipers would get way hotter on the track ,So should not cause any damage. But even though high temp is used to cure the powder after applying continual high temp situations will eventually discolor the calipers.

11 hours ago, spiller said:

The calipers on my cup car are due for a refresh. What are people’s thoughts on powder coating? Seems a more durable option if it’s done properly.

For a road car, powder coating works, however as @tomo mentioned they can dicolour if they get too hot. My calipers on a previous car had this issue which is why I am trying the Cerakote this time. They can do a really wide range and there is a gloss cover coat as well.