Mercedes VIN number search

Hi

My nephew is about to drop $50k on a really nice 1975 Merc 450SL convertible.

He asked me to do a PPSR however the VIN number is only 14 digits long and a PPSR requires 17 digits.

Is there anyway I can do a search on it. 

Some o/s forums that I searched mentioned putting a WDB in front of the number but I think that is only for the USA.

Any ideas or it's just because the car is too old.

Cheers

You can do a search by serial number / chassis number 

https://transact.ppsr.gov.au/ppsr/SearchBySerialNumber?si=3&v=Search&wsi=3dbe1aea-26b8-4711-96af-2db5c89d5b0c

if it on the register this should return info.

if it has never been registered in Australia it might not.

Thanks guys but I did try that and I didn't get much info.

My previous PPSR's I've done for my Porsches have given me a lot more info.

I have attached a copy of the PPSR I did today for the Merc. Note the engine number is also 14 numbers.

I should mention it is Australian delivered.

PPSR for Angelo's mercedes.jpg

@3legs add the wdb it works for Aust.

to get more info on the car A lot will suggest the Russian vin decoder below it is hit and miss though and they suggest to add the wdb as well. A lot of ozbenz guys are on fb now as well and a great source of info.  Definitely a rhd car (22 in the vin) but would need to see the build plate to tell if aust delivered (625) and other options

https://carinfo.kiev.ua/cars/vin/mercedes/vin_check

good source of understanding option codes if it has its cardex or off the build plate on front radiator support panel

https://www.mbspares.com.au/Information/DataCards.aspx

Thanks guys.

I managed to find the info I required from the Aussie PPSR site and with the 14 numbers.

The reason why I couldn't before was the rego paper with the vin number showed the last 3 digits was 857 but when my nephew sent me a pic of the compliance plate the last 3 digits is 867.

No wonder I coudn't find it. I didn't need to use WDB either. Typo on the rego office part.

I've contacted him and told him to not hand over any money until the current owner sorts the discrepancy out with the rego office.

Thanks again guys.

BTW other than the typo all is above board.

30 minutes ago, 3legs said:

I've contacted him and told him to not hand over any money until the current owner sorts the discrepancy out with the rego office.

Thanks again guys.

BTW other than the typo all is above board.

Getting the engine number changed is no issue at all.

When I bought my SC back in 2014, I called Porsche to verify matching numbers. They told me no it wasn't, but it was only 1 number off. After seeing a photo of the actual engine number and the one on the rego papers, it was clear that it was a typo.

After going to an inspection station and having the inspector verify the number, I had new rego papers within the hour.

I think the verification took about 5 mins and I don't think he even charged me for it ..

Also seems like I shouldn't have sold my old 1973 Merc 350SL for $8k all those years ago!! ..

This has bought back a few memories!

On my 450SL (late 73 I recall) battery acid had leaked down under the battery tray through the firewall wiring holes & onto the passenger floor. As it was an Aussie car, I thought I was clear of corrosion - but no. Later cars had the battery in the boot.

I still have a brand new softtop in blue mohair that I kept when I sold it. Previous owner was a crazy girl - which was the main reason I sold it so she would fade away.