My 1st Porsche - 997 Turbo 6 speed

Hi All,

Bought my 1st Porsche about 6 months ago. A 2008 997.1 Turbo 6-speed manual with approx 40k kms. Drove it back from Brisbane to Sydney with my brother & had an awesome time (gotta share the special moments).

My history & garage is full of Japanese cars & bikes, but I'm glad I "defected".

Its past owner treated it like a trophy/ornament so I've spent the past months replacing the front/mid coolant lines & radiator & also adding my own personal touches & upgrades (wheels, headunit, tune, GT2 clutch etc). Sorry to the "purists" but you only live once.

Looking forward to being part of the local Porsche community (after lockdown of course!).

Enough rambling & onto the pics.

Jay

PSX_20210224_113017.jpg

PSX_20210306_153035.jpg

PSX_20210326_162602.jpg

PSX_20210708_221722.jpg

PSX_20210708_221459.jpg

PSX_20210706_161716[1].jpg

PSX_20210519_163041[1].jpg

PSX_20210416_155816.jpg

Congratulations. There is a very small cohort on here that don't rate stock boosted mezgers.   Until you actually go through the process of tweaking a stock one or driving a stock one back to back with a tweaked one, the purists have no clue of the difference in what they are missing out on in terms of smiles per miles.  And its not just about extra hp/tq numbers.

Looks like you brought it with some exhaust work already done?.  What tune are you running?

PS, very nice selection of V6 motors you have in your garage at the opposite ends of the power deliver design spectrum.

7 hours ago, Carrera28 said:

NSX and a 911 is pretty much the two best sports cars ever in your garage, well done 

Thankyou. The NSX is truly an amazing car. It's a surreal experience & attracts a lot of attention. Was my childhood dreamcar which I bought in Japan & have a lot of memories with. Honoured to have these two three pedaled icons in the garage.

9 hours ago, mc968cs said:

Welcome - great car and mods too - wow! 

Cheers. I'm not going too far with it, but have a Porsche Aerokit enroute for it.

33 minutes ago, smit2100 said:

Congratulations. There is a very small cohort on here that don't rate stock boosted mezgers.   Until you actually go through the process of tweaking a stock one or driving a stock one back to back with a tweaked one, the purists have no clue of the difference in what they are missing out on in terms of smiles per miles.  And its not just about extra hp/tq numbers.

Looks like you brought it with some exhaust work already done?.  What tune are you running?

PS, very nice selection of V6 motors you have in your garage at the opposite ends of the power deliver design spectrum.

You can add me to that list :) It's a fine motor, but really should be let loose a bit. Admittedly, riding 1litre superbikes (Ducati, Fireblade, R1) has warped my perspective, but they certainly benefit from added sound & a tune to bring their output closer to their modern counterparts. My mildly modified Evo 5 was a match for it in stock form, which just didn't feel right.

I bought it with a titanium Frequency Intelligent exhaust (valvetronic), with headers, Fabspeed intake & unknown intercoolers. Had an APR tune on it many years ago but Porsche wiped it doing a firmware upgrade to fix an unrelated power drain issue. The previous owner knew nothing about all this, but luckily I was able to take a peek at the map.

I've since replaced the diverter valves with metal GFB adjustable units & had a custom tune done by Etuners. APR could no longer support the ecu without having to do a rewrite which would take 6months or so since they ceased development/updates on the 997 & basically didn't care about it anymore. I am happy with the Etuners tune, but the stock clutch held it back hence the upgrade to a Sachs 2.5 based kit but with an upgraded GT2 Sachs sprung clutch plate to make it more street friendly. Highly recommend that clutch upgrade.

Happy with the tune & result, feels like a proper supercar now & lights up the Cup2's without trouble. Midrange increase was a huge improvement.

The Honda V6 is obviously nowhere near a match, but it sounds great & is extremely reliable. I have the JDM shorter ratio box & all the usual bolt ons (intake, headers & Gruppe M exhaust). The NSX isn't fast but doesn't feel like it needs more power, so I won't touch it further. It's also not a good platform for modifying so the results would generally be low value.