Garage Storage

On 16/09/2021 at 19:20, wangan said:

It's more for the damage that's done when the air con isn't on though really. Cold nights, humid days etc. 

Thanks @tomo can you use plaster, ply and cement sheeting with this? 

Thanks @philipk is there any issue with just installing the insulation from underneath instead of taking the sheets off? Or is it better to remove sheets?

I might get a few quotes. 

You are better off removing the sheets and putting on insulation paper over the roofing frame then put the roof back on.

This will create a vapour barrier and stop the condensation coming inside the garage.

14 hours ago, philipk said:

You are better off removing the sheets and putting on insulation paper over the roofing frame then put the roof back on.

This will create a vapour barrier and stop the condensation coming inside the garage.

I think that's the best way. Should not be too expensive either. 

I don't know if you'll even need it to be honest. The walls look insulated already. A quick YouTube search even states that you don't really need it, but I'm no expert. 

Videos only a minute and a half long. Should give you some piece of mind. 

On 18/09/2021 at 10:00, rminc said:

The pitch of his garage looks to be around 45 degrees. Wouldn't that be sufficient to channel condensation out?

Others have said above that you could do it without removing the sheets, but as sus911 has said, the whole point is to create a barrier, you won't have a sealed barrier doing it from underneath I would think. Only was is for the sheets to come off. 

This thread has made me a bit paranoid about my colourbond garage now 🤔

45° is helpful but as you acknowledge is not a physical barrier.

Another point to note is that formation of condensation could indicate a lack of ventilation.

20 hours ago, sus911 said:

45° is helpful but as you acknowledge is not a physical barrier.

Another point to note is that formation of condensation could indicate a lack of ventilation.

Hypothetically if there was ventilation, say a whirly bird. I don't think that has much to do with the condensation. You'll still condensation under a colour bond pergola and that has plenty of ventilation. 

On 20/09/2021 at 21:54, rminc said:

Hypothetically if there was ventilation, say a whirly bird. I don't think that has much to do with the condensation. You'll still condensation under a colour bond pergola and that has plenty of ventilation. 

Thanks everyone. I guess we will see how we go over winter with the condensation. I don't think there will be any damage during the summer being uninsulated right? The garage gets hot, but it's not in direct sunlight.