Boxster 2.5 auto - what are they like?

Jason E

They're not nearly as good as a 968 tipper 🤪

But I've driven a few cos I keep looking at them for my wife. Once one acknowledges that they are 2.5l (ie not a hypercar), are a convertible (can have moisture issues) and are getting on in life, and one drives them accordingly, they're a great thing.

1 hour ago, Jason E said:

Just looking at an early 2.5 Tip Boxster up my way.  Wondering what they're like.   This would be for a daily/ weekend blaster.  Maybe a BoxRod project.  I know a manual would be better but I live in the city so it's a tipper or bust.  Thoughts please Illuminati?

We had a first year 2.5 tiptronic, we really loved it… such a good fun little car that was easy to live with. The tiptronic is a blast when you learn how to drive it properly so it offers up some engagement when you want, but you can be lazy and drive it in traffic no problems! The air con works great on the really hot days and the top is very well engineered (provided it’s in good order) and doesn’t give any trouble, surprisingly quiet in the cabin on freeways at speed too! 

Honestly it was a car that if my wife and I were going for a drive, that’s the car we took… she had no interest in the GT3 parked next to it… and I found myself driving it more than the GT3 also… that should tell you a lot! 😎

oh and the sound!! When you give it the full potatoes that 2.5 really sings 

Wish I didn’t sell it! Tried to buy it back from our friends and no bueno 😂 

Just do it ✔️ 

4D3B32E5-40F5-45B5-9632-EDC3849D86B4.thumb.jpeg.72206f50ba3f05e2364c52f9105ac9bc.jpeg

For tootling around town the 2.5 is a fun sportscar.  On the track you will feel it run out of puff at the top end.  Can't speak for in the twisty backroads, but reckon it will be pretty glorious staying in the 4-6000 rpm bracket (with Fister/Gundo exhaust).

On 18/09/2021 at 08:45, Jason E said:

Just looking at an early 2.5 Tip Boxster up my way.  Wondering what they're like.   This would be for a daily/ weekend blaster.  Maybe a BoxRod project.  I know a manual would be better but I live in the city so it's a tipper or bust.  Thoughts please Illuminati?

Why not a Boxster S tipper? Combine increased performance with a tipper at a reasonable price?

2 hours ago, flamingporsche said:

For tootling around town the 2.5 is a fun sportscar.  On the track you will feel it run out of puff at the top end.  Can't speak for in the twisty backroads, but reckon it will be pretty glorious staying in the 4-6000 rpm bracket (with Fister/Gundo exhaust).

Wholly agree , on tight roads it’s a. CHarm . more so if you can drive keeping the speed on, and yep they get trounced by many with outright ooompha,

but that ain’t itself a measure of skill or hairy balls … 

For sake of transparency should add.  I drive a smart roadster as well .😅😜😊

Exh mod a must and I did a PSE hack with 1.5” pipes .. some say it’s too loud , trev would say not loud enough 

8 hours ago, flamingporsche said:

....  On the track you will feel it run out of puff at the top end.....)

That will only be true of you're trying to keep up with higher speed capable vehicles. If you're out there with lesser or equivalent vehicles, then it'll be simply you driving to it's capabilities.