996 Water Pump Time

Fishcop

My car has a fabulous and fully documented history, so I know at 18 years and 60,000kms it hasn't had its water pump changed.  I'm told the water pump will fail at some time... So I've ordered in a new pump, cooler (78ºC) thermostat, drive belt and 25 litres of coolant!  I'm told there is an upgraded coolant cap available, but haven't been able to confirm - anyone aware of this?  Weather has been great for driving - so waiting for a run of crap weather to enjoy the garage :D

IMG_0697.jpeg

5 minutes ago, MFX said:

Following the bleeding technique was a real pain. I have since bought a vacuum bleeder kit which is the preferred way and I think it will save a heap of headaches next time. I think it is worth looking into ;)

Thanks for the advice Jeff.  I watched your video and recall you mentioning it was tedious :D I think I can borrow a vacuum bleeder from a friend of a friend if I ask very nicely.  And provide beer. 

33 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

Thanks for the advice Jeff.  I watched your video and recall you mentioning it was tedious :D I think I can borrow a vacuum bleeder from a friend of a friend if I ask very nicely.  And provide beer. 

Worth the beers. It took around 5 or 6 goes getting it hot and keep topping it up. It was pretty stressful as I didn't want to over heat it.

10 hours ago, Fishcop said:

My car has a fabulous and fully documented history, so I know at 18 years and 60,000kms it hasn't had its water pump changed.  I'm told the water pump will fail at some time... So I've ordered in a new pump, cooler (78ºC) thermostat, drive belt and 25 litres of coolant!  I'm told there is an upgraded coolant cap available, but haven't been able to confirm - anyone aware of this?  Weather has been great for driving - so waiting for a run of crap weather to enjoy the garage :D

IMG_0697.jpeg

Did the same as you on my 997.1 at 60k’s. Water pump was fine but at 15 years old and quite a few redlines, probably not bad peace of mind. Didn’t do the coolant flush, thought I’d leave that to Buiks when in for annual service. What is the consensus on replacing coolant?

11 hours ago, Fishcop said:

IMG_0697.jpeg

I had this exact coolant in my 996 and after about 6 to 12 months l started seeing sludge residue around expansion tank neck. I took it to Nick Cascone and he said wrong coolant and he's sees problems with seals deteriorating.

I had him flush it out and put in the proper OEM Porsche coolant, it's been about 3 months now and the sludge has hugely reduced and starting to disappear.

If it was me l'd take it back for a refund.

1 hour ago, WB997.2GTS said:

My independent Porsche trained mechanic suggested that the same would happen when I said I was changing the coolant, he recommended Ravenol (Porsche Spec), i went with the recommendation and have not had a problem. Its not cheap

Is that the blue one?  That's what my mechanic changed mine to.

14 hours ago, Fishcop said:

I'm told there is an upgraded coolant cap available, but haven't been able to confirm - anyone aware of this? 

This is the only "upgraded" coolant cap I have found in my many hours of searchign around:

https://lnengineering.com/products/brs-parts-and-upgrades/cooling/billet-aluminum-boxster-cayman-911-coolant-expansion-tank-cap.html

There's been a few revisions of the cap over the years, latest is -04.  So 996 106 447 04.  That might be what you mean re upgraded cap?  I have one here waiting for me to get a few other projects off my list before doing clutch, expansion tank and various other "while you're at its" like the water pump and full flush.
Interested to read about coolant type, I was wondering about that.  With my Beemers I'm only using genuine coolant which is cheap and easy to get from clickable auto.  For the Porker I presumed that would be the best way to go as well, though I'd rather buy it elsewhere than a dealership.  The 996 requires a roughly a swimming pool of it, 24lt or something!

<EDIT: By "that would be the best way to go" I meant using genuine coolant ie Porsche, not BMW in case it was unclear.  Everyone who's been to Germany knows that Bavaria and Baden-Wurtenburg mix like oil and water! :D>

Edited by st3ve

4 hours ago, st3ve said:

There's been a few revisions of the cap over the years, latest is -04.  So 996 106 447 04.  That might be what you mean re upgraded cap?  I have one here waiting for me to get a few other projects off my list before doing clutch, expansion tank and various other "while you're at its" like the water pump and full flush.
Interested to read about coolant type, I was wondering about that.  With my Beemers I'm only using genuine coolant which is cheap and easy to get from clickable auto.  For the Porker I presumed that would be the best way to go as well, though I'd rather buy it elsewhere than a dealership.  The 996 requires a roughly a swimming pool of it, 24lt or something!

I believe VW use the exact same coolant as Porsche but at significant lower price.

Thanks heaps for the heads up regarding the coolant - I did a bit of searching and noted the Penrite red had been used by a few people (with a clear declaration that the green colour is wrong).  @MFX was it Penrite you used?  Pretty sure I can take back the Penrite - even if it's just for a shop credit.

I presume it's the original 18 year old coolant in the system at the moment... It's a urine yellow colour.

Funny enough my independent VW tech (Amarok) uses Ravenol exclusively, so I know I can get my hands on it...

Looks like more homework is needed 😕

7 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

Thanks heaps for the heads up regarding the coolant - I did a bit of searching and noted the Penrite red had been used by a few people (with a clear declaration that the green colour is wrong).  @MFX was it Penrite you used?  Pretty sure I can take back the Penrite - even if it's just for a shop credit.

I presume it's the original 18 year old coolant in the system at the moment... It's a urine yellow colour.

Funny enough my independent VW tech (Amarok) uses Ravenol exclusively, so I know I can get my hands on it...

Yep, I used the Penrite Red stuff. From what I can gather it is correct for the car.

2 hours ago, Fishcop said:

From the reading I have done, it definitely shouldn't be yellow (or any shade thereof)  and should definitely be pink ..

@st3veI went with FPC ins the US - good price and reasonable shipping

This low-temp unit literally has the original Porsche stamping but the part# is die-ground off  https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-thermostat-wahler-99610601359

FPC do a good kit with everything, but I thought I'd be better off acquiring coolant here in Oz rather than pay for its shipping...  https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/porsche-engine-water-pump-and-thermostat-kit-geba-borg-warner-996wtrpmkt1 so went with the low temp thermo and metal impeller pump on their own.

The latest revision of the genuine coolant cap is .04 I have them in stock if you need one.

Be aware the metal impeller can damage the block if the bearings give out that's why the genuine unit is not metal.

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/43533-geba-pump-metal-impeller.html

A job I have been planning also.  I have vacuum kit for the car and after watching Franny and Heidi’s video, it looks easy! 😳. I was going to buy the Pentosin product through my local Indy.  Maybe I should get Stephan to do the whole thing and the water pump also … it has done 50,000kms since 2004.  

On 23/09/2021 at 08:28, dan_189 said:

The latest revision of the genuine coolant cap is .04 I have them in stock if you need one.

Be aware the metal impeller can damage the block if the bearings give out that's why the genuine unit is not metal.

http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/43533-geba-pump-metal-impeller.html

Thanks Dan, I read that article (and a couple of others) which is now 8 years old.  I'm comfortable that I'll be pushing up daisies before the water pump bearings fail.  The metal impeller version just makes sense to me and kilometers I do.  I also wasn't actually able to find anyone with a 'first hand' experience of the metal impeller version failing and damaging a block.  Raby has done some great work in the Porsche world - but I feel like fear of failure is what's making him rich sometimes.  I'll double check the cap version I have - if I don't already have one I'll order a .04 through you.

I also just picked up a vacuum filler unit from Sydney Tools for $50 https://sydneytools.com.au/product/daytona-drecoo-cooling-system-refill-kit-and-vacuum-purge   I've taken the Penrite back for a refund, now just awaiting the Ravenol.