944 Cam Belt Change

bteoh

Hi All,

I am a 944 owner of a 1984 model here in Perth. Aren't very familiar with these cars and I think I am due for a cam belt change and was wondering what to expect if I send it to a local independent Porsche shop? I presume it will need a new cam belt, balance shaft belts and a new water pump? I think the PO had done this prior to when I bought it in 2017 but can't be certain as there weren't any workshop receipts. What should I expect to pay for doing this and any recommendations as to where to go in Perth to do this? Thanks for any advice.

I did this just recently including the water pump bought everything from Frazerparts. Max is very good to deal with and will make sure the parts suit your car. It’s a fairly involved procedure for a timing belt and requires a few special tools. I bought the tools from ArnnWorx as I have 2x 944’s that I work on myself. Tooling alone cost around $500 

In terms of good independent shops I would try RJP Motorsport I’m sure he could price you over the phone. 

I bought the 944 maxi kit and a few others tools for elsewhere on the car. The tensioner is the expensive tool. I wasn’t sure if it was needed as there are alternate procedures online but considering how sensitive the adjustments were I would definitely recommend it. There is no way you could get the same accuracy without it.