Dilemma re: selling my '76 911

f3nr15

I would love having a second car that fits the first scenario.

Track it without worrying too much about damage.

Modify it without being concerned about keeping it original.

Drive it in the rain, hail and shine.

• Replies 129
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's two sides to this argument. First is "it's got a few battle scars and I don't stress over it and just enjoy driving it" Secondly "pride and joy of a pristine example" unfortunately this is accompanied by dread and angst over any blemish.

I think most of us fall into the second camp, though there is something to be said for the more relaxed first one.

This is true.. I am always in camp b  "feelings of dread and anguish over any blemish". However camp a sounds really appealing..   Honestly, I'm not sure how I'd go with a car that had rough paint..  yesterday I was told I'd fall out of love with the car and it would bother me. This might be true....

I was watching one of the car shows on Foxtel, can't remember the name of it. Anyway, they had this classic US pick up truck, that for the most part, looked like the paint was completely gone and had a lovely layer of top coat rust! Apparently 'patina' is so hot right now, so they gave the car several layers of clear and sold it as is.

I'll see if I can find it on YouTube to post here.

(Amanda, I owe you an email)

Took the old gal on a 350km round trip to Taree yesterday to do some (funnily enough) spraypainter medicals. It' the furthest I've driven her in 3 years. I had at least ten conversations about the car yesterday - it's funny how much more interest she sparks compared to my 964.

She didn't skip a beat, and despite the 30 degree day, the engine temp stayed at one notch below the standard operating range, like it always has.

I am a perfectionist and obsessive compulsive bastard, but the paint on this car hasn't really bothered me (except for now when I'm wondering about selling) for a few reasons -

1. I've always thought of her as a resto in progress

2. With the mechanicals sorted, she has been ultra reliable

3. Have I mentioned how much I enjoy the sporto? It's really a delight to drive. I can shift it faster than a 915. Perhaps that's more to do with my crappy driving ability than anything else :)

The long term resto plans (when I win the lotto) have been -

1. Glass out respray with sunroof delete

2. Lightweight tartan interior with rear seat delete - (but with a Prototipo wheel)

tartan+interior1271293962.jpg

A well maintained mid-year car is a pretty thing - (this one's not mine)

5897644984_b7a1d11506_b.jpg

I'll see if I can get some pics of the crappy paint areas on mine this weekend.

Hmmmm I see a huge issue for me and this car,  the steering wheel is on the wrong side - instantly puts me out of the market for it.

I must have missed that detail, well I did miss it  :o  :wacko:

Due to personal reasons, I can only buy an Aussie Delivered P

I think it sounds like you've got a lovely, interesting and very well sorted car there Peter.

If you do end up wanting to sell it.. I'd put it up for sale, state you are negotiable.. have all your receipts scanned into a PDF file. This will make it easy for you to send them via email to genuine prospective buyers, hopefully showing the great care and expense you've shown this car.

Also, I'd say an enthusiast off a site like here, will probably be the place to find a buyer.

In some ways tho, I hope you can keep it.. I can just hear how much you love the car.

i think he said that's not his car, it's just an example of the seats/tartan etc?

and i still think this would be the car for you amanda, obviously pending everything going well with the SLK

i think he said that's not his car, it's just an example of the seats/tartan etc?

and i still think this would be the car for you amanda, obviously pending everything going well with the SLK

Oh I hope that is not his and his is Aus Del then :)

I think I need a nap - Peter clearly states that is not his car and I can see on page 1 the SW is clearly on the RH side.  Phew...

I agree mid-year cars can look nice, but something about the chrome headlight surrounds bothers me in dark colours.  It looks great on that silver example you have pictured, but out of place with the impact bumpers on darker/solid colours like green/blue.

Hmmmm I see a huge issue for me and this car,  the steering wheel is on the wrong side - instantly puts me out of the market for it.

I must have missed that detail, well I did miss it  :o  :wacko:

Due to personal reasons, I can only buy an Aussie Delivered P

Oops, sorry to mislead - yes, mine is an Aussie delivered RHD.

The picture of the yellow example with the tartan interior was just borrowed from Pelican forums.

For all worried about stone chips after a respray, Click here. They are a US company that have a great product to prevent stone chips being an issue. I will be using it on mine when I do a respray (way down the track), as I am a mix of type 1 and 2 lol but I am a strong believer in cars being driven and this product seems like a good way to do both(drive and be fussy about paint)

peace

Cyberpunky

Yeah 2k to wrap at the very least. I was quoted 3k and they wanted me to paint the bumpers and the gutters. No point if you have to paint stuff IMHO.

I'm also not convinced you "just need a heat gun and some patience" either. I've got 27mtrs of 3D carbon wrap sitting here is anyone wants to take up the challenge..

Was chatting to a mate of mine and mentioned the idea of vinyl wrapping - he was aghast at the idea. He pointed out that the vinyl roofs on cars popular into the 1980s were invariably rust traps.

Is the modern vinyl used for wrapping prone to moisture retention/rust issues?

I have only used the 3M CF wrap and found it easy to work with. I have had a lot of experience in car audio using traditional vinyl, which can be a real pain, so maybe it's all relative but I am guessing same principle applies in that you need good quality product and the cheap stuff is more hassle than it is worth.

The new wrap vinyl is not meant to do any harm to the paint below and is different to the old vinyl roofs. I think (and I'm probably wrong) that the issue with old vinyl roofs was the vinyl was porous and the glue used was bad for the paint.

Was chatting to a mate of mine and mentioned the idea of vinyl wrapping - he was aghast at the idea. He pointed out that the vinyl roofs on cars popular into the 1980s were invariably rust traps.

Is the modern vinyl used for wrapping prone to moisture retention/rust issues?

Sooooo Peter, what's the verdict? Does she stay or does she go?

Archived