Tiptronic: Is it really that bad?

JLD

OK, so I really want an aircooled. But pricing these days is stupid, so the best perceived value at the moment seems to be a 993 Tip. Can people out there with 964 or 993 Tips please give me an insight into Tiptronic ownership? Maybe some pros and cons apart from the obvious missing 3rd pedal?

7 minutes ago, Oldknees said:

Had a 996 Tip in 2002. Always been a manual driver before then. Bought an auto so wife could drive it. Regretted it instantly. Ignored the misses  for the  last 20 yrs & now enjoy what I drive. 

I believe the Tiptronic on a 996 is different to a 993/964

Also had 6.2 Tip.  Didn't love it, but didn't hate it.  Probably didn't constantly drive it to really adapt to driving it properly.  Our 981 is PDK with flappy paddle wheel, I think a Tip would benefit greatly from having the flappy paddle conversion like @tomo has done.

I must admit I used to drive in auto most of the time, and took advantage of the 8sec manual engagement when the + / - buttons were pressed to change down for corners etc, but not sure whether 993 has that option, 986 Tip didn't

The Tiptronic box is like Vegemite/Marmite you either love it or hate it,I had a 964 tip and now have a 996 tip for me the 996 is way better to drive the box is better but it’s newer so it should be I guess.Saying that I would have my 964 tip back if I could they are brilliant cars,If a tip is all the budget will get you I say go for it but maybe try the newer cars as a comparison.

1 hour ago, Oldknees said:

Had a 996 Tip in 2002. Always been a manual driver before then. Bought an auto so wife could drive it. Regretted it instantly. Ignored the misses  for the  last 20 yrs & now enjoy what I drive. 

Exactly my predicament at the moment. I want to move on the manual C2 6.1 cab and she who must be obeyed is suggesting we get a tip C4S cab rather than a manual so she can drive it. Tandem garage means if I’m out and the P car is at the front I get these very irate messages 🙄

34 minutes ago, cafe_racer said:

I’ve driven the 993 tip, I liked it! If you are going to be using the car as a daily or a cruiser it’s ideal. 

downside is resale. Upside is cheaper entry point. Also not ideal for heavy track use. 

You will always get mixed opinions but agree it’s intended use plays a lot into the decision, and what you will be happy driving.

I know there are a few posts from @OBRUT as he had a dad rod 964 tipper and gave it a good rap. Apparently all in how you drive it and use the blip method to change down without the buttons/paddles.

My old SC and the current 912/6 would never have been considered if they were tips. Loved the analogue feel and pure driving pleasure that 3rd pedal provides. I contemplated a 993 tipper as a shopping trolley come daily run about but ended up with a manual 996 at half the price instead, and have totally enjoyed it.

2 hours ago, JLD said:

OK, so I really want an aircooled. But pricing these days is stupid, so the best perceived value at the moment seems to be a 993 Tip. Can people out there with 964 or 993 Tips please give me an insight into Tiptronic ownership? Maybe some pros and cons apart from the obvious missing 3rd pedal?

My first 911 was a 993 Tip. I had my heart set on a 6 speed but couldnt find one second hand, this is back in 1998. Found a guards red 6 speed placed the deposit went to pick it up and decided to drive an arctic silver tip. Flipped over to buying the tip. Why? Mainly because my heart was never into the guards red. I loved driving the 6 speed but in heavy traffic it was a bit of a pain. 

The 993 Tip is an older style 4 speed automatic with a torque converter, totally different to a PDF. I found it would have a very aggressive change from second to first in certain conditions otherwise the driving was just as exciting for me at the time. I upgraded to a 996 6 speed 3 years later and to a 991 PDK after that and now to a 991.2 PDK. Yes people talk about being one with the car rowing gears etc but on the track I love the PDF. That said I do want a G series manual :)

If you like the 993s I would take a tip. My only concern is pricing is just stupid everywhere ATM.

I have a 964 Targa Tip and love it, having owned it for over 10 years and no plans to see it go anytime soon.  I always use it in manual mode with the stick. Once you get going through the twisties it’s very similar to a manual and just as enjoyable to drive. Yes no third pedal so the experience compared to a manual is a little different, but I really encourage everyone to give it a go before taking the old manual or death approach. And I have a manual 993 rep rscs so I can compare the difference. As to PDK, no comparison, they are just different so don’t even go there. And of course a few decades in between does help!!

16 hours ago, ArthurK said:

If you like the 993s I would take a tip. My only concern is pricing is just stupid everywhere ATM.

Yep friend told me yesterday sold his 993 tip cab for $125k, COVID has inflated everything air cooled

The Tiptronic on the 996 is a 5 speed and on the 993 is a 4 speed as I understand.  You need to learn to drive a Tiptronic properly and it will reward you. There are a range of 'tricks' and tweaks described in the literature. 

I have an '88 manual Carrera and a 5 speed Tip on my 996 Turbo.  The manual on the Turbo can be a pain with regular and expensive clutch and slave cylinder changes, as regularly as every 30-40K.  The Tip is pretty much a learn to use and forget gearbox.  Long service intervals and pretty unbreakable.  Great for the traffic and learnable for the winding roads. On the Turbo the 5-speed is a perfect match with its huge torque.  I can't imagine needing more gears. The last two Turbo buyers I have helped find their cars, only wanted Tips.  The PDK box I had on a 2011 Boxster S was great in town and on the winding roads.  It was not a smooth as the Tip and a bit jerky at times, but the more recent ones seem much better. I would not buy a new manual Porsche and would prefer the PDK in everyday use.  That doesn't mean I don't love the old fashioned analog experience of the manual 3.2 Carrera but it is then nice to swap into the AWD/Tip Turbo to just enjoy the smooth high power delivery and grip. 

Lots of interesting comments. It’s tough to know from a 5 minute test drive whether a car will be ok to live with. I love a spirited drive, doesn’t need to be a track weapon though

22 hours ago, Tips said:

Exactly my predicament at the moment. I want to move on the manual C2 6.1 cab and she who must be obeyed is suggesting we get a tip C4S cab rather than a manual so she can drive it. Tandem garage means if I’m out and the P car is at the front I get these very irate messages 🙄

You will always get mixed opinions but agree it’s intended use plays a lot into the decision, and what you will be happy driving.

I know there are a few posts from @OBRUT as he had a dad rod 964 tipper and gave it a good rap. Apparently all in how you drive it and use the blip method to change down without the buttons/paddles.

My old SC and the current 912/6 would never have been considered if they were tips. Loved the analogue feel and pure driving pleasure that 3rd pedal provides. I contemplated a 993 tipper as a shopping trolley come daily run about but ended up with a manual 996 at half the price instead, and have totally enjoyed it.

The Atlas Grey C4S tipper is still for sale up here at Port Mac... ;)

As they note above it has good provenance, and the Tiptronic S on the Porsche was,  "Created in collaboration with ZF, this was Porsche’s first true automatic gearbox with a complex computer system designed to recognise different driving styles and adapt the transmission’s shift patterns accordingly. To satisfy the ‘purists’, Porsche also added a ‘manual’ sequential mode". I am not sure I would go for the 4-speed version and prefer the 5-speed with plenty of torque. A mate here came 3rd among the 90 odd Porsche competitors in the recent Targa Tassie in his 997.1 Tip.

• 2 weeks later...
On 02/10/2021 at 12:50, t888 said:

When I drove a 4 speed 993 tip around town, it was basically in second the whole time so the transmission didn't matter. And yes it was used in mercs as well, cruiser style cars.

My son in law has a twin turbo M/B 270 KW with the ZF box 8 speed it ain't  no cruiser ;)