98 Boxster inspection - what to look for??

Jason E

2 hours ago, Jason E said:

Well, here we go........

I'll ignore the hairdresser remarks, as you should too Jason!!  Biggest question, of course, would be has the IMS been done, as you would be well aware of.  Otherwise, just like your 996, the 986 is a good solid unit, with the added complication of the electric hood.  These are a joy to watch in operation, but you will need to check a couple of things, mainly that the mechanism is working smoothly, and evenly, and that the clamshell closes fully when the operation is complete.  Also check the condition if the hood - there may well be scuff marks from the folding operation if it is the original hood, which I don't think would impact on the water resistance of the fabric.  The early hoods had a plastic rear window, so this may be cloudy or damaged if original, and may have even had a new plastic window sown in.  If the window is glass, then the roof has been replaced with a later hood at some stage, a bonus for you.  The other thing that can happen is that the elastic which helps the edge of the hood into the slot in the plastic part which sits around the door window, particularly at the sharpest part of the bend, can fail, so that when the hood goes up the edge of the hood can fail to enter the slot and therefore ride up over the outside of the plastic.  A bit hard to describe in words, here's a video which explains it:

In the end, I gave up trying to fix it on our 987 (same mechanism) and it just meant you had to stop the hood about 1/2 way up and make sure the edge of the hood was going into the slot in the plastic.  Same problem with a 986 I owned with a mate for a little while.

Other than that, you just need to check similar stuff to the 996 like clunky front suspension perhaps indicating new coffin arms are required etc.

Assume you're all over the differences between standard and S, engine size, 5 v 6sp if manual etc.  Early 2.5 in standard car had cable throttle, later models changed over to e-throttle.

35 minutes ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

I'll ignore the hairdresser remarks, as you should too Jason!!  Biggest question, of course, would be has the IMS been done, as you would be well aware of.  Otherwise, just like your 996, the 986 is a good solid unit, with the added complication of the electric hood.  These are a joy to watch in operation, but you will need to check a couple of things, mainly that the mechanism is working smoothly, and evenly, and that the clamshell closes fully when the operation is complete.  Also check the condition if the hood - there may well be scuff marks from the folding operation if it is the original hood, which I don't think would impact on the water resistance of the fabric.  The early hoods had a plastic rear window, so this may be cloudy or damaged if original, and may have even had a new plastic window sown in.  If the window is glass, then the roof has been replaced with a later hood at some stage, a bonus for you.  The other thing that can happen is that the elastic which helps the edge of the hood into the slot in the plastic part which sits around the door window, particularly at the sharpest part of the bend, can fail, so that when the hood goes up the edge of the hood can fail to enter the slot and therefore ride up over the outside of the plastic.  A bit hard to describe in words, here's a video which explains it:

In the end, I gave up trying to fix it on our 987 (same mechanism) and it just meant you had to stop the hood about 1/2 way up and make sure the edge of the hood was going into the slot in the plastic.  Same problem with a 986 I owned with a mate for a little while.

Other than that, you just need to check similar stuff to the 996 like clunky front suspension perhaps indicating new coffin arms are required etc.

Assume you're all over the differences between standard and S, engine size, 5 v 6sp if manual etc.  Early 2.5 in standard car had cable throttle, later models changed over to e-throttle.

Cheers Peter, great reply,  very much appreciated.  I'll let you know how I go.

The hairdresser comments make me laugh.  I love a bit of savage banter, it's an occupational hazzard.

cheers

4 minutes ago, Jason E said:

The hairdresser comments make me laugh.  I love a bit of savage banter, it's an occupational hazzard.

cheers

Obviously all in jest, I’m secretly on the prowl for a Boxster maybe as a stopgap to a 911

14 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

cheers

Well, sadly, that was a complete shitbox.  Old mate was asking 20k.  I said I would consider about half that price (plus he'd have to thrown in a short back & sides) based on what I could see (lots of body dents to fix).  I didn't even start the engine.  He was graceful in his refutation of my assertion that his cars current condition was that of a roadside prostitute, well past her prime.

31 minutes ago, Jason E said:

Well, sadly, that was a complete shitbox.  Old mate was asking 20k.  I said I would consider about half that price (plus he'd have to thrown in a short back & sides) based on what I could see (lots of body dents to fix).  I didn't even start the engine.  He was graceful in his refutation of my assertion that his cars current condition was that of a roadside prostitute, well past her prime.

Mate of mine up your way had been looking for a while too, found quite a few shitboxes too, especially through dealers.  There was, I think, a speed yellow one, which the dealer wouldn't even let him drive, told him there'd been too many test drivers.....  He found out later it was one to steer clear of.....  He did find something in the end though.

This one might be a good box rod candidate at a realistic price though?  Was it a manual or Tip, base or S?

18 hours ago, Jason E said:

Hi Peeps, 

I'm inspecting a 98 Boxster tomorrow - I'm really only looking for condition etc & to get a feel for the seller but throw me a few tips on what to look for re issues with the Boxsters please.  cheers.

HI Jason, glad you are looking at one of these. I wouldn't mind one too. We both know that @Rob needs to christen his new shed/hoist with a couple of jobs.. pretty sure we could knock out

- clutch

- ims (find tools to borrow)

- rms

- air-oil separator

I've got a Durametric pro to help trouble shoot.. 

Roof not tucking in is an easy job with some elastic and needle and thread (i've done 2 now and am almost ready to progress to fixing holes in my socks)

2 hours ago, TwoHeadsTas said:

too, especially through dealers.  There was, I think, a speed yellow one, which the dealer wouldn't even let him drive, told him there'd been too many test drivers.....  He found out later it was one to steer clear of.....  He did find something in the end though.

This one might be a good box rod candidate at a realistic price though?  Was it a manual or Tip, base or S?

Mate of mine up your way had been looking for a while too, found quite a few shitboxes ---- I think the poor old Boxster is today's version of the 944.  People have not loved them & they go to seed needing a dedicated lover to bring them back.  Perhaps these days it's better to wait for one that's been loved.  I spent way too much money on my S2 bringing it back from the dead.   This one was pretty knacked.  It was a bog standard 97/98 base model, 2.5 tipper.  I thought it'd make a cool commuter with some love.  This one needs too much.

2 hours ago, Mike D'Silva said:

HI Jason, glad you are looking at one of these. I wouldn't mind one too. We both know that @Rob needs to christen his new shed/hoist with a couple of jobs.. pretty sure we could knock out

- clutch

- ims (find tools to borrow)

- rms

- air-oil separator

I've got a Durametric pro to help trouble shoot.. 

Roof not tucking in is an easy job with some elastic and needle and thread (i've done 2 now and am almost ready to progress to fixing holes in my socks)

That's the thing about you & me Mike, we're not buying these cars for us, we're buying them for Rob so that he has a reason to go on living.  I can't wait to drive my new acquisition up to Witta with a long, long, long list of jobs to do & a box full of parts & see that moist, glistening look in his eyes as he realises I've helped stave off dementia for a few more months.  Selfless we are mate.  Selfless.  You're welcome Rob.

3 hours ago, Jason E said:

Mate of mine up your way had been looking for a while too, found quite a few shitboxes ---- I think the poor old Boxster is today's version of the 944.  People have not loved them & they go to seed needing a dedicated lover to bring them back.  Perhaps these days it's better to wait for one that's been loved.  I spent way too much money on my S2 bringing it back from the dead.   This one was pretty knacked.  It was a bog standard 97/98 base model, 2.5 tipper.  I thought it'd make a cool commuter with some love.  This one needs too much.

That's the thing about you & me Mike, we're not buying these cars for us, we're buying them for Rob so that he has a reason to go on living.  I can't wait to drive my new acquisition up to Witta with a long, long, long list of jobs to do & a box full of parts & see that moist, glistening look in his eyes as he realises I've helped stave off dementia for a few more months.  Selfless we are mate.  Selfless.  You're welcome Rob.

Hoist's going to be occupied for a while - I've found that the shitbox Hilux I bought 18 months ago needs new front brake pads! (They're probably the originals)  Oh the anxiety! Even though the discs are unmarked, who knows what potential horrors may be unmasked? Now to find a place where I can source some new pads...

40 minutes ago, Rob said:

Hoist's going to be occupied for a while - I've found that the shitbox Hilux I bought 18 months ago needs new front brake pads! (They're probably the originals)  Oh the anxiety! Even though the discs are unmarked, who knows what potential horrors may be unmasked? Now to find a place where I can source some new pads...

Yeah, I haven't even looked at my pads yet.. I figured everyone said these things are 'unbreakable' so why bother?

1 hour ago, Rob said:

Believe me Rob,  you'll get nowhere near the level of catharsis working on your own vehicle.  In fact it may make things worse as you dwell on your selfish choices.  There's a very wide chasm between selfless & selfish..... Buda said that.

Pity that one didn’t turn out to be any good 😕

I looked for one for a little while because I really like the 986, but I couldn’t find a “sorted” one and to me seemed like I’d have to spend the same on sorting a 996 but never get it back (although I reckon one day they’ll be loved and you would).

I guess if you can patiently wait for one that’s been sorted, or take up the kind offers in this thread to get one there, it will be a great buy. 

ps: like all hair dresser jokesters, I want to buy a Boxster at some point too 😆 

9 hours ago, Fishcop said:

haha, I like the earlier MR2's.  Apparently these are terrible.  I read a review -poop.  There is one in my street.

Just now, Jason E said:

haha, I like the earlier MR2's.  Apparently these are terrible.  I read a review -poop.  There is one in my street.

I have test driven a few MX5's in the last few days.  Great cars but owners are asking silly money for them atm.

1 minute ago, Jason E said:

I have test driven a few MX5's in the last few days.  Great cars but owners are asking silly money for them atm.

I think the "pick" of this era if not a Boxster, is possibly the Honda 2000.  I drove a mates BMW M3 Roadster (6 cyl) a few years ago and it was terrific.

16 minutes ago, Fishcop said:

I think the "pick" of this era if not a Boxster, is possibly the Honda 2000.  I drove a mates BMW M3 Roadster (6 cyl) a few years ago and it was terrific.

Pretty serious coin for a decent S2000 now.   I've always been partial to the Z3 roadster but for the money the Boxster seems the better buy.

I have a manual 98' 986 for sale if you're interested

- Full books 
- Lots of factory options

Also the main things I'd look for:

- Wet rear carpet (behind the seats) means the drains have clogged and overflowed - if it's bad enough it can damage the alarm unit (which unintelligently sits under the passenger seat)
- Roof alignment & function
- Scan it with a proper scan tool (if the owner agrees) to see any codes
- Check to see if it has any aftermarket alarms (have seen some really badly wired and eventually the unit fails) usually they have some sort of key fob if this is the case