Jump to content
Grimmy

Cayman GT4 RS

Recommended Posts

 

12 hours ago, WGA said:

Just had confirmation of 4 days at Spa Francorchamps in April with Porsche!

First 2 days in a new GT4 RS and then next two days in a GT4 Clubsport.

Very excited. Can't wait to drive the 4 RS at my favourite track and see if I can match my 3 RS lap time.

I’m tipping you’ll go faster……I found a 981 GT4 easier to click with a drive hard than 991.2 GT3.  Or maybe that’s just me…..your butt dyno and lap times will be interesting real world comparison.

isn’t the rumour that the Porsche test driver backed off in places on Nurburgring lap?  🍿🍿.
 

Hoping one of the Spa/Ring rental companies have a 4RS in their fleet by the time my 2020 Euro trip gets rebooted.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, DJM said:

 

I’m tipping you’ll go faster……I found a 981 GT4 easier to click with a drive hard than 991.2 GT3.  Or maybe that’s just me…..your butt dyno and lap times will be interesting real world comparison.

isn’t the rumour that the Porsche test driver backed off in places on Nurburgring lap?  🍿🍿.
 

Hoping one of the Spa/Ring rental companies have a 4RS in their fleet by the time my 2020 Euro trip gets rebooted.

The video of the GT4RS test looked like it was a bit twitchy and definitely was not perfect, but it still looked like it was a mule with the front guard vents closed off, etc, so it would be good to see what the production car is actually like.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, WGA said:

Just had confirmation of 4 days at Spa Francorchamps in April with Porsche!

First 2 days in a new GT4 RS and then next two days in a GT4 Clubsport.

Very excited. Can't wait to drive the 4 RS at my favourite track and see if I can match my 3 RS lap time.

Hopefully you will be able to follow up with a few words about your impressions of the vehicle.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Another point about the Nurburgring lap was I believe they used regular GT4 size Cup 2 Rs 245 - 295, rather than "RS size" tires, whereas GT3 had larger Cup 2 Rs - 255 - 315. I think 265 front and 305 rear is not on reasonable on a GT4 RS. Otherwise the GT3 was more settled in the corners. IMO the GT3 run also had a better driver. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 19/01/2022 at 22:17, WGA said:

Just had confirmation of 4 days at Spa Francorchamps in April with Porsche!

First 2 days in a new GT4 RS and then next two days in a GT4 Clubsport.

Very excited. Can't wait to drive the 4 RS at my favourite track and see if I can match my 3 RS lap time.

 

A good mate of mine (fellow GT3 & RS owner) just did a few days at Portimão in the GT4 Clubsport, bloody loved it! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, edgy said:

 

A good mate of mine (fellow GT3 & RS owner) just did a few days at Portimão in the GT4 Clubsport, bloody loved it! 

Yes, Clubsports are great fun. I have previously done 2 days in a Clubsport at Spa and 2 days at Hockenheim. My fingers are crossed that by the time I get back to Spa in April, the GT4 Clubsports have been replaced by the new 4RS Clubsport because it would be a bit of a disappoint to spend 2 days in a 500hp 4RS and then immediately thereafter have to step back into a Clubsport with only 420hp. From my last stint, about the only thing I walked away thinking that the car needed was way more power. The 4RS Clubsport solves that big time.

Porsche Track Experience_MasterGT4_Hockenheim_820545_1207.jpg

Porsche Track Experience_MasterGT4_Hockenheim_820545_2864.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, WGA said:

...because it would be a bit of a disappoint to spend 2 days in a 500hp 4RS and then immediately thereafter have to step back into a Clubsport with only 420hp.

 Oh of course anyone would hate to be faced with that dilemma 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I am waiting to see a real world driving test on a public road , I am curious if the GT4RS will be as compliant on road as the GT4 is or have Porsche made damper and spring rate adjustments for a more track focused setup .

The standard GT4 has a fantastic dampener and spring set up it just works perfectly on a public road and on track will the RS retain that ....???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree Racing Yellow is a good colour for this car and almost a must with the yellow carbon ceramics. 

Out of interest a friend and I checked local availablity and PCW have 9 or 10 allocations for the year but 25 deposits. Even more demand at PCSS. I'm guessing that's a 100 or so cars spread amongst the Aus dealerships this year which are all taken for, and probably well into 2023. So I'm guessing 2024 delivery for people just getting on the list, although I assume some of the earlier expressions of interest will drop off. 

I'm thinking demand in Melbourne would also be very high but maybe places like SA and WA would have less demand so better chance? Although not that you can buy interstate. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Raven said:

I am waiting to see a real world driving test on a public road , I am curious if the GT4RS will be as compliant on road as the GT4 is or have Porsche made damper and spring rate adjustments for a more track focused setup .

The standard GT4 has a fantastic dampener and spring set up it just works perfectly on a public road and on track will the RS retain that ....???

I was reflecting the other day on my initial enthusiasm for this vehicle. 

The reflection was a result of driving my Cayman S on public country roads that Vicroads are aggressively reducing speed limits on, rolling road blocks of "Sunday drivers" and aggressive rule enforcement. I come to the conclusion that I utilised a very moderate amount of the performance and abilities of my current vehicle and reflected on why would I want a race car that has compromises to be registered that our roads will NEVER allow the use of such performance! 

Yep, Pretty boring reflection.... maybe Ive been beaten down!

Oh well no need to get my feathers ruffled about allocations etc and I can leave the coin in the bank!

Maybe I can take my greying mop of hair, purchase a land cruiser with a great big van and drive on said roads 20 below the limit ensuring that I have at least 15 cars held up behind me and lean on the throttle when any over taking opportunities present. :) 

On the other hand  GT and RS cars appear to have been a prudent fiscal investment of late!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I agree Grimmy, in Vic especially, having a fast car on public roads is not much fun.  I've gone the way of a vintage daily driver where I am not worried about road speeds, and something that can be used for fast Sunday drives and track time...Slow car driven fast, yada yada...With that said, I'm still in line for a 4RS and will pull the trigger as i'll retain the slow daily driver.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

For me I am currently tossing up if I buy a new 718 GT4 or a used 991.2 GT3 , I dont plan on tracking either car as I have dedicated open wheeled race cars . for me it is just a weekend toy for spirited driving in up the mountains between my race and sprint weekends once a month and to just have something Nice as a special toy  .

I have driven both cars and just love both cars and am torn between the two ..GT4 has less power than GT3 but the GT3 realistically has too much power , but the power is addictive , and I just love  everything about the GT3 , accept the fact you have to be careful with it as it is just to fast for a public roads ..

GT4 has less power but more than enough power for a public road and has that Chassis that I felt more confident in , not taking anything away from the GT3 chassis as it is without doubt , just as amazing , for me the GT4 feels more gokart like and similar or familiar to my race cars and I do prefer the smaller cabin in the GT4 over the GT3 .

My problem like all of us who own these cars is being able to use the cars performance capabilities on a public road and not get locked up for it , my previous 997 C2 S had more than enough power , but just lacked that raw feel of the two GT cars , something I want in this next purchase 

GT4 RS yeh would be nice if you could get one ,no doubt will appreciate in value , due to low number coming to Aus.

I am on the waiting list and  spec one on the Configurator for $349 K so similar asking price for used 991.2 GT3 and as we know the same power to weight and performance as it bigger GT3 brother and if the current GT4 is anything to go by it should be an amazing drive.

At the moment a new 718 GT4 with my spec is $270K ,,,, so $80K saving and kinda feel I dont need anything more than that for the driving I plan to do , but as I said in my previous post I am still curious as to how track focused the GT4 RS will be and if that in anyway compromises its use on public road , will be interesting to see a real world review on it and not just sliding it around a track , some mountain road and B road blasting , the type of Driving most who own these cars realistically do ..

I know its a first world problem feel free to laugh :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, donR said:

I agree Racing Yellow is a good colour for this car and almost a must with the yellow carbon ceramics. 

Out of interest a friend and I checked local availablity and PCW have 9 or 10 allocations for the year but 25 deposits. Even more demand at PCSS. I'm guessing that's a 100 or so cars spread amongst the Aus dealerships this year which are all taken for, and probably well into 2023. So I'm guessing 2024 delivery for people just getting on the list, although I assume some of the earlier expressions of interest will drop off. 

I'm thinking demand in Melbourne would also be very high but maybe places like SA and WA would have less demand so better chance? Although not that you can buy interstate. 

There were 30 on the list at Parra when they closed it. Having previous experience with this, when people get the call to put their money where their mouth is there is always a contingent who drop out. Then you factor in the GT3 RS announcement this year, and you'll see another bunch of people drop.

Most people who want one will get one eventually.

1 hour ago, Raven said:

For me I am currently tossing up if I buy a new 718 GT4 or a used 991.2 GT3 , I dont plan on tracking either car as I have dedicated open wheeled race cars . for me it is just a weekend toy for spirited driving in up the mountains between my race and sprint weekends once a month and to just have something Nice as a special toy  .

I have driven both cars and just love both cars and am torn between the two ..GT4 has less power than GT3 but the GT3 realistically has too much power , but the power is addictive , and I just love  everything about the GT3 , accept the fact you have to be careful with it as it is just to fast for a public roads ..

GT4 has less power but more than enough power for a public road and has that Chassis that I felt more confident in , not taking anything away from the GT3 chassis as it is without doubt , just as amazing , for me the GT4 feels more gokart like and similar or familiar to my race cars and I do prefer the smaller cabin in the GT4 over the GT3 .

My problem like all of us who own these cars is being able to use the cars performance capabilities on a public road and not get locked up for it , my previous 997 C2 S had more than enough power , but just lacked that raw feel of the two GT cars , something I want in this next purchase 

GT4 RS yeh would be nice if you could get one ,no doubt will appreciate in value , due to low number coming to Aus.

I am on the waiting list and  spec one on the Configurator for $349 K so similar asking price for used 991.2 GT3 and as we know the same power to weight and performance as it bigger GT3 brother and if the current GT4 is anything to go by it should be an amazing drive.

At the moment a new 718 GT4 with my spec is $270K ,,,, so $80K saving and kinda feel I dont need anything more than that for the driving I plan to do , but as I said in my previous post I am still curious as to how track focused the GT4 RS will be and if that in anyway compromises its use on public road , will be interesting to see a real world review on it and not just sliding it around a track , some mountain road and B road blasting , the type of Driving most who own these cars realistically do ..

I know its a first world problem feel free to laugh :D

My 997 C2S is the perfect amount of power for the road. Just needs to be a bit lighter I reckon.

My 991.2 GT3 is miles too quick for the road. But living on the outskirts of Sydney I can be on appropriate roads in minutes.

Will be interesting to see where the Emira fits into the equation when it shows up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, sleazius said:

There were 30 on the list at Parra when they closed it. Having previous experience with this, when people get the call to put their money where their mouth is there is always a contingent who drop out. Then you factor in the GT3 RS announcement this year, and you'll see another bunch of people drop.

Most people who want one will get one eventually.

My 997 C2S is the perfect amount of power for the road. Just needs to be a bit lighter I reckon.

My 991.2 GT3 is miles too quick for the road. But living on the outskirts of Sydney I can be on appropriate roads in minutes.

Will be interesting to see where the Emira fits into the equation when it shows up.

Yes I also spoke to Parra and South Sydney Dealer and they also told me same thing 30 allocations and all were taken , but still put my name down for the inevitable drop outs ...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, donR said:

 

I'm thinking demand in Melbourne would also be very high but maybe places like SA and WA would have less demand so better chance? 

 You'd be surprised, as I'm sure it was noted on this forum that SA had the highest number of GT3 sales at one point

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, sleazius said:

There were 30 on the list at Parra when they closed it. Having previous experience with this, when people get the call to put their money where their mouth is there is always a contingent who drop out. Then you factor in the GT3 RS announcement this year, and you'll see another bunch of people drop.

Most people who want one will get one eventually.

My 997 C2S is the perfect amount of power for the road. Just needs to be a bit lighter I reckon.

My 991.2 GT3 is miles too quick for the road. But living on the outskirts of Sydney I can be on appropriate roads in minutes.

Will be interesting to see where the Emira fits into the equation when it shows up.

Jensen Button summed it up nicely. “Cayenne, people just think you should have got the 911, but with the emira. That’s it. You’ve got the best car they make”. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, sleazius said:

Now what is the point of Porsche Australia putting out this information? A car you can't buy for love or money and supposedly you still have allocations left?

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/porsche-718-cayman-gt4-rs-first-allocation-not-sold-out-yet

What a crap piece of journalism that is , we have both spoken to our dealers and know that is just not the case , I was told point blank there are no allocation s available , so were in hell do these tools get their info from ....???

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Sounds like a good strategy to get you into the dealer … then sell you a Macan for the Mrs 😂

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

sounds great and its got some go in a straight line!  The track definitely looks like the place for it. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

PFA [Porsche Forum Australia]

This is an online platform for like-minded Porsche fans/fanatics/tragics to come together to read, chat and share.

It is also a platform to arrange and participate in off-line social meet-ups, events and drives.

×
×
  • Create New...