996 Turbo Suspension Overhaul

Sov

I'm running Bilstein PSS10 and need to replace the strut mounts on my car as the drivers side has failed. Is there a "better than factory" option? 

A quick google search turned these up https://9lf.de/gb/axles/625-996-turbo-strut-strut-mount-for-bilstein-pss-10-suspension-porsche.html 

Everything else looks to be in good order (suspension shop has confirmed), however, what else should I/would you replace whilst the car is in the air?

My car did a whopping 25m of total distance  travelled  on a brand New Ohlins R&T  coilover kit  before I got a  don't drive your car  recall notice (996 turbo / c4s kits).  The recall related to the front coilovers.  Ohlins engineered soltuion was to replace the front structs and I was required to ditch the brand new and just installed genuiine 996 top mount parts and bolts washers etc and fit ohlins supplied elephant racing  top mounts  

I used the Elephant Racing tops until very recently and they were excellent. Now have the AST tops which I installed when I changed the suspension over from the Bilstein/H&R to the AST coilovers. 

It depends if you want standard NVH or adjustability and a little more noise.

If you're interested in the strut tops, PM me as the C4S and turbo tops are interchangable 

1 hour ago, 911CSR said:

I used the Elephant Racing tops until very recently and they were excellent. Now have the AST tops which I installed when I changed the suspension over from the Bilstein/H&R to the AST coilovers. 

If you're interested in the strut tops, PM me as the C4S and turbo tops are interchangable 

Have sent you a PM, cheers.

22 hours ago, 911CSR said:

Still interested to hear what others suggest to look at whilst the car is on the hoist.

Are there other improvements I can make?

If the car isn't being tracked, OEM is perfectly OK.  OEM 996 are almost double the price of OEM 997.   They're visually the same - the part numbers are different (just the 996 v 997 prefix tho), and there are guys on Rennlist that have put the 997 mounts in without any dramas.  That said, I did put OEM 996 mounts into mine recently.

2 hours ago, the_sovereign_man said:

Still interested to hear what others suggest to look at whilst the car is on the hoist.

Check all the bushes and arms if they haven't been inspected or replaced (I replaced mine with Meyle arms and Powerflex bushes and wow what a difference!! Also check the steering arms for play etc

Check swaybar end links/drop links and bushes

Check wheel bearings, brake hoses, pads etc

Remove undertrays and look for leaks (coolant, power steering etc) and perished hoses

Check front radiators for end tank leaks and debris

Check transmission mount bushes as mine were totally cactus. Cantrell street 65A replcements used and she's all good

Check engine mounts, and for the turbo's the oil feed return lines etc 

Amazing, my top hats also need changing.

So following any suggestions here with interest.

Was quoted $1500 for supply and fit. So let’s see what comes up. 
Just need to make sure you get the Turbo/4CS units as they’re abut different to the regular 996 units due to angling of the front shocks/ front diff setup.

On 03/11/2021 at 06:22, the_sovereign_man said:

As noted,  in a post above, how good  is your rubber on your engine and tranny mounts.  Recommend 997 tranny mounts. 

Probably a bit harsher in terms of ride,  but I have a semi solid 964RS bitsa engine mount kit that will eventually make its way onto my car one day.  They don't make some parts like they used to from last century.

On 03/11/2021 at 06:22, the_sovereign_man said:

I thought there was room for improvement on my stock suspension  and had a bit of an itch to scratch and came up with the following to scratch that itch  (refer to parts list below)

Bolded parts below are possible improvements to consider on your existing setup .  All parts that reference links and boots were all sourced from Tarret  

The other improvement I made at the same time  as refreshing the suspension was to go a bit harder on the yellow theme (ohlins springs are yellow) and I did a bit of a tweak to the braking.  i.e  UMW brake upgrade kit with 996gt3/gt2  front 6 pot calipers up front and rear 997 calipers with 350mm discs all round to fill out the wheel arch and compliment the reduced 4x4 look

996GT3 Rear Lower Control Arm Inner - Adjustable  Left 99634112190
996GT3 Rear Lower Control Arm Inner - Adjustable Right    99634112290
996GT3 Front Lower Control Arm Inner - Adjustable Left    99634112290
996GT3 Front Lower Control Arm Inner - Adjustable Right    99634112190
Rear Lower Control Arm Solid Thrust Arm End Bushing Kit - GENUINE(996)    99634144190
LCA HEX.NUT hexagon nut M 8 04- M004    90007602502
LCA WASHER Washer 8,5 X 17 X 6 04- M004    99902526902
Control Arm - 1mm caster shims -     99634154390
Control Arm - 4mm caster shims -     99634154391
Control Arm - 6mm caster shims -     99634154392
Front Sway bar Drop Links (for Ohlins Coilovers) Adjustable     996TTFDLNK-O
Front sway  bar Drop Links (for Ohlins Coilovers) Boot Set of 4    996TTFDLNK-O-boot
Rear sway  Drop Links (for Ohlins Coilovers)  Adjustable     996RDLINK
Rear sway  Drop Links (for Ohlins Coilovers) Boot Set of 4    996RDLINK boot
Rear adjustable toe link steer kit     996RD TOE LINK 
Rear adjustable toe link steer kit boots    996RDLINK boot

Ohlins - Road and Track Coilovers - 996 Turbo    "Ohlins R&T Coilover Kit Porsche 996 Turbo" to replace:
Front Shock Absorber - Left    99634304343
Front Shock Absorber-Right    99634304343
Front Coil Spring Left    99634353319
Front Coil Spring Right    99634353319
Rear Shock Absorber - Left    99633305156
Rear Shock Absorber-Right    99633305156
Rear Spring Coil -Left    99633353147
Rear Spring Coil - Right    99633353147.

Front Shock Absorber Top Mount Left    99634301504
Front Shock Absorber Top Mount Right    99634301604
Front Shock Bearing Plates  Left    99634350100
Front Shock Bearing Plates  Right    99634350100
996 GT3 rear sway bar adjustable    99633370190
996 GT3 Bushings Mount for rear sway bar    99633379226
996  GT3 Bushing Sway Bearing clamp    99633377701
996 GT3 Bushing Clamp Hex Nut    99908464301
996  GT3 Bushing Clamp Hex Bolt    90037805501  
4WD Alignment   -    

*post note to the above list.  Ohlins mandated that I had to rip out the brand new and at the time just installed factory genuine front top mounts and bearing plates and had to use elephant racings front top mount kit which they supplied free of charge as part of their  product recall of the front struts .   Wasn't too happy with that as I try and stick to genuine factory stamped P car  parts as much as possible except were I see a potential improvement over the factory stock parts.   Just not in the purists camp of them having to be exactly 996 turbo parts

A shout out to a forum advertiser @Jocaro  who installed the recalled replacement parts from Ohlins and dialed in the above setup.   Let's just say its a bit firmer than stock and a noticeable improvement on the 18 year old stock parts.   Added bonus was when not behind the wheel, visually the the factory  4x4 look was gone but probably at the expense of more consumable front lips to stock up on going forward

15 hours ago, Joz said:

Amazing, my top hats also need changing.

So following any suggestions here with interest.

Was quoted $1500 for supply and fit. So let’s see what comes up. 
Just need to make sure you get the Turbo/4CS units as they’re abut different to the regular 996 units due to angling of the front shocks/ front diff setup.

I don't consider it amazing at all.  I have posted on here on a few occasions that even on pristine so called top conditioned peaches with low km's and premium asking prices, you need pump in and allow 5k to improve drivability behind the wheel of a 996 turbo  approaching 20 years of age.   eg tranny mounts, engine mounts and suspension top mounts and bearings along with some form of 997 factory shifter mechanism.(stock, shortshifter or gt3) and  some spare  non sticky radio replacement buttons and either pirelli zero  or ps2 michi's  on stock factory rims is where to channel that 5k regardless of what a ppi says if they haven't been replaced at all or have not been done recently.  Then a boost leak check is also a must to do item.   There is  another behind the wheel level to get to that comes with having aged / inferior rubber and plastic bits bits sorted out. Most don't invest in preventative maintenance until the the individual part needs replacing. Get in early do the preventative maintenance up front to get rid of some slop that is really noticeable when you do the above as a collective as it tightens the handling up and driveability from the get go when the cars on your watch and enjoy.  

Then a tune and exhaust is a no brainer after that for much more incremental smiles per mile.

6 hours ago, smit2100 said:

......you need pump in and allow 5k to improve drivability behind the wheel of a 996 turbo  approaching 20 years of age....

This, this in spades!!! Even the non-turbo's like my C4S that is approaching 20yrs needed full suspension refresh (every single piece), engine and gearbox mounts replaced, wheel bearings, brakes overhauled (calipers rebuilt, lines replaced, pads, fluid etc.) before it even felt like it should have...With cars like these approaching 20 yrs of hard and sometimes dubious servicing (usually due to cost) they are going to be projects, but thats the fun in owning them.

On 05/11/2021 at 02:04, smit2100 said:

I don't consider it amazing at all.  I have posted on here on a few occasions that even on pristine so called top conditioned peaches with low km's and premium asking prices, you need pump in and allow 5k to improve drivability behind the wheel of a 996 turbo  approaching 20 years of age.   eg tranny mounts, engine mounts and suspension top mounts and bearings along with some form of 997 factory shifter mechanism.(stock, shortshifter or gt3) and  some spare  non sticky radio replacement buttons and either pirelli zero  or ps2 michi's  on stock factory rims is where to channel that 5k regardless of what a ppi says if they haven't been replaced at all or have not been done recently.  Then a boost leak check is also a must to do item.   There is  another behind the wheel level to get to that comes with having aged / inferior rubber and plastic bits bits sorted out. Most don't invest in preventative maintenance until the the individual part needs replacing. Get in early do the preventative maintenance up front to get rid of some slop that is really noticeable when you do the above as a collective as it tightens the handling up and driveability from the get go when the cars on your watch and enjoy.  

Then a tune and exhaust is a no brainer after that for much more incremental smiles per mile.

Sorry I only meant amazing as in coincidence.

We both bought at similar times and both having failed top mounts about the same time.😊

2 hours ago, Joz said:

Sorry I only meant amazing as in coincidence.

We both bought at similar times and both having failed top mounts about the same time.😊

Understood,  and  hence my post.  Eg Appears you are surprised that you have to do them (both of you and I am guessing nothing mentioned on the  PPIs???? or you guys making up for COVID and the pror owners  and driving them like they stolen at every opportunity your behind the wheel. that when the rubber bits tend to show their age)

Well after some searching and frustration  the clunking front end  could be something less sinister than my top mounts.

The jack and tool set may have been the noisy culprits. So I have removed them temporarily and will will do a thorough sound check during the week. Fingers crossed 🤞 

6 minutes ago, GT3MEZ said:

Stephen [zipstartcanoe]

Well how about that 😀

I couldn't think of anyone except my neighbour with a 991.2 and he doesn't share the other hobby.

Great to see another familiar face around these parts.