Best engine Oil

A bundle of joy!

3 hours ago, Kul said:

Hi everyone

I'm planning my move back from the UK along with my 997. Currently I'm using Millers oil here and find it works really well. I was wondering what the general consensus is on choices of available oils people are using.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Kul, my mechanic has changed my 996.1 GT3 to Penrite 10Tenths Racing 15W 50.  Penrite is quite well regarded in Oz, and my car seems to like the new drop 🙂 Maybe different grade would be appropriate for your car given different requirements.

And when you get here, make sure you only use BP or Caltex / Ampol fuel.  Best quality of the options available here..

Not meaning to be provocative, I do wonder about how much placebo effect there is in some "my car runs better on X" opinions. Any of you guys have any data / test results which support otherwise subjective views?

Personally, my cars all genuinely seem to run better after they have been thoroughly cleaned, though I don't expect that is actually the case!

Validating fuel usage, engine temps etc. via ECU logs (aftermarket and stock ECU's), vbox readings, oil analysis and of course the highly calibrated seated pants potentiometer give you a good idea of whether oil or oil additives make a difference.

We have on some of the race cars noticed substantial differences in wear rates, engine performance at temp (temp stability etc) on dyno and track as well better results in the oil analysis.

IMHO, oil performance isn't always about more power.

IMHO oil performance is never about power - it is about thermal, mechanical and chemical stability and the impact that has on component protection given the intended use case.

The biggest objectively measured variation in power/ wear / response I have seen across race and road cars is significantly more a derivative of oil viscosity range when using quality engine lubricants. 

On 01/11/2021 at 18:48, Kul said:

Hi everyone

I'm planning my move back from the UK along with my 997. Currently I'm using Millers oil here and find it works really well. I was wondering what the general consensus is on choices of available oils people are using.

Thanks in advance everyone.

Kul,

You will quickly learn that there is no value is asking oil questions on a forum.

The best way is to work it out yourself through 3 easy steps:

1) Check the Driver's Manual

For your car it will recommend a number of viscosities depending if you commonly drive the car above or below -25 degrees C.  For Australia's ambient temperatures it is likely SAE 0W-40, 5W-40 and 5W-50 viscosities will be recommended.

It will also likely recommend suitable ACEA or API oil classifications.  However it is most likely for your car it will just say to use "Porsche Approved" oil.

2) Check the Latest Porsche Technical Bulletin

Porsche frequently issue updates to their oil recommendations for their cars to make the most of continuing improving oil technology (or to correct previously poor oil recommendations!)  If you Google "Porsche Recommended Engine Oil For Model Year 1984 and Newer Porsche Vehicles" you should be able to locate the most current issue.

It will likely simply recommend their "A40" Porsche approved oil.  If you had a "classic" 996 it would likely simply recommend 5W-50 Porsche Classic Motor Oil for Group 1 countries of which Australia belongs.

3) Visit Your Favourite Local Car Parts Provider

Identify the oils on the shelves that have the required approvals/viscosities specified above and select the one that appeals the most. 

For your car this is likely to be Shell Ultra 5w-40, Mobil 5W-50 and Mobil 0W-40 (which was actually the factory fill oil) as these are the most commonly available oils here with "A40" approval.