VW Touareg V8

GC9911

1 hour ago, GC9911 said:

To the illuminati, does anyone have experience with 2015/16 Touareg V8? I’m looking at a new daily. I know @redracn had one, comment Al?

Hi G,

I really loved my 2015 Touareg. With 250kW and 800Nm it could devour any mountain even when towing my race car. Kerry loved it around town as our shopping basket with 360 camera view and many other views to help in tight car parks. It  was very quite inside with a superb ride and it could eat long distance Km with ease. We got around 7.5L/100 on trips over 1200km on a tank and 10.0 around town. No adblue was also a benefit. Only issue in 6 years was a loose connection on the radar cruise system. Had pretty much every safety related item but still had hydraulic power steering and NO START STOP which was its best feature when used in rural areas. 
I tried to get its replacement but it only came into Aus in very limited numbers and by the time I realised that it was the last of the diesel V8s that VW would bring to Australia (Confirmed with them) I unfortunately missed out on one. 
So now desperate to get hold of a diesel V8 as a keeper before no more are made (writing is on the VW group  wall) I went with the next best option an Audi SQ8 (320kW, 900Nm Triple charged V8 Diesel). It’s a nice stylish car that gets many comments  but is no quieter in the cabin and has very annoying  coasting and start stop functions that are on every time you start it which need a lot more refinement especially on the undulating roads around here where it will gain speed while coasting on down slopes and not regather itself until we’ll over the speed limit. Only saving factor is that a quick pull back of the shifter puts the gearbox in sport mode and turns off all the eco rubbish and as you know I don’t mind driving around in sport mode and with the sound synthesiser that operates both external (speakers in the exhaust) and internal ( separately selectable in individual mode) is not a bad attempt for a diesel.

These big V8 diesels won’t disappoint and will shame most hot hatches at the lights. 

Given the modern annoying eco nanny stuff I am actually missing the simple pureness of the 2015 VW

Forgot to add the V8 only came in as an R Line so has lots of leather and special styling etc.

40 minutes ago, Redracn said:

Hi G,

I really loved my 2015 Touareg. With 250kW and 800Nm it could devour any mountain even when towing my race car. Kerry loved it around town as our shopping basket with 360 camera view and many other views to help in tight car parks. It  was very quite inside with a superb ride and it could eat long distance Km with ease. We got around 7.5L/100 on trips over 1200km on a tank and 10.0 around town. No adblue was also a benefit. Only issue in 6 years was a loose connection on the radar cruise system. Had pretty much every safety related item but still had hydraulic power steering and NO START STOP which was its best feature when used in rural areas. 
I tried to get its replacement but it only came into Aus in very limited numbers and by the time I realised that it was the last of the diesel V8s that VW would bring to Australia (Confirmed with them) I unfortunately missed out on one. 
So now desperate to get hold of a diesel V8 as a keeper before no more are made (writing is on the VW group  wall) I went with the next best option an Audi SQ8 (320kW, 900Nm Triple charged V8 Diesel). It’s a nice stylish car that gets many comments  but is no quieter in the cabin and has very annoying  coasting and start stop functions that are on every time you start it which need a lot more refinement especially on the undulating roads around here where it will gain speed while coasting on down slopes and not regather itself until we’ll over the speed limit. Only saving factor is that a quick pull back of the shifter puts the gearbox in sport mode and turns off all the eco rubbish and as you know I don’t mind driving around in sport mode and with the sound synthesiser that operates both external (speakers in the exhaust) and internal ( separately selectable in individual mode) is not a bad attempt for a diesel.

These big V8 diesels won’t disappoint and will shame most hot hatches at the lights. 

Given the modern annoying eco nanny stuff I am actually missing the simple pureness of the 2015 VW

Forgot to add the V8 only came in as an R Line so has lots of leather and special styling etc.

Thanks Al, appreciate your comments the most 👍

6 minutes ago, GC9911 said:

Thanks Al, appreciate your comments the most 👍

My pleasure G, Unfortunately I traded a car that fitted me like a glove for a ritzy but very annoying one. If only I could turn back time. 

Another benefit was it passed my country pub test in that you could leave it out the front overnight and it would still be there in the morning un-scratched. Only other car I have owned that made the grade was a Subaru Outback. The Audi would probably be burned to the ground (perhaps not a bad thing)

2 hours ago, GC9911 said:

To the illuminati, does anyone have experience with 2015/16 Touareg V8? I’m looking at a new daily. I know @redracn had one, comment Al?

If it's anything like the 7P V6TDI it'll be a great daily.  Love my 2013, about 20-25000kms a year.  Much prefer it to the boss's 05 Cayenne S V8 petrol i've been driving last couple of days.....

28 minutes ago, Redracn said:

My pleasure G, Unfortunately I traded a car that fitted me like a glove for a ritzy but very annoying one. If only I could turn back time. 

Another benefit was it passed my country pub test in that you could leave it out the front overnight and it would still be there in the morning un-scratched. Only other car I have owned that made the grade was a Subaru Outback. The Audi would probably be burned to the ground (perhaps not a bad thing)

I’m city fringe and the goto out here seems to be the big yank trucks for diesel towing. Especially RAM 2500s and GMC SIlverados. Towing the horse float is a breeze 😅

If burning Dino trees is your thing, I suspect US vehicles will be the last hold out. Euro brands are pretty much done, including our beloved brand which is becoming increasingly frustrating year on year.