G series steering wheel

Afternoon all.

I've replaced the steering wheel on my '86 Supersport with a Prototipo (yes, I realise that's a cliche)

Regardless, I now have the original blue leather which probably deserves a better home than on a shelf in the garage. It's in outstanding condition having only done 41,000 miles, and I've just had some of the stitching tightened up by Car Interiors Plus in Artarmon so it's absolutely ready to be installed.

Blue leather, not shiny, not worn through anywhere. Just really nice condition. Rather than sell it on ebay, I thought someone here might a) have a use for it and b) have an idea what it's actually worth. Ebay prices range from circa $750 to $1500 .

Any feedback appreciated.

IMG_2098.jpg

IMG_2101.jpg

IMG_2102.jpg

IMG_2103.jpg

IMG_2100.jpg

IMG_2104.jpg

IMG_2088.jpg

IMG_2099.jpg

IMG_2097.jpg

Very nice wheel. I needed a dark blue one for my 930 a few years ago. Hard to find. I’ve had a few of these over the years. For a nice wheel with normal wear/patina but no damage I’d put it between $500-600. For the right person who needs/wants this particular colour maybe $750.

I’d hold onto it if I were you. Too hard to find when/if you need one.

GUT, thanks for your message. I'm torn. It's too good for it not to be used, and I'd rather avoid ebay if I could. Would prefer it stay within the Australian Porsche community as well. Tempted to have it framed for my office unless someone can convince me that they really need it!

On 10/11/2021 at 12:47, GUT said:

Very nice wheel. I needed a dark blue one for my 930 a few years ago. Hard to find. I’ve had a few of these over the years. For a nice wheel with normal wear/patina but no damage I’d put it between $500-600. For the right person who needs/wants this particular colour maybe $750.

I’d hold onto it if I were you. Too hard to find when/if you need one.

Yeah I'd keep it with the car.  It might be worth more to you in the long run with the car than without.  If you sell the car, re-install it and keep the prototipo and you'll get a higher price for the car.  Hang it on the office wall in the meantime.  The older these cars get the higher prized the original parts are.

Coastr, 

thanks for your message. I'm starting to think that might be the best option. I could possibly be convinced otherwise for the right offer - but the scarcity and condition would make it really hard to replace if I ever wanted to do so.

Food for thought.

Cheers

• 5 weeks later...

Hi - thanks for the message. I guess 'technically' it is but I'm in two minds about selling it. 

Am thinking it would look good framed in my office but for the right offer I might be able to be convinced otherwise. I can send you some photos if you would like, or I'm in Roseville if you'd like to see it in person.

Not quite. https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/165184971472?epid=5029828499&hash=item2675caa2d0:g:zhAAAOSwm5Bhi-d4&frcectupt=true is maybe a reasonable proxy for this one - even though it's from a 964.

Or this - which is extremely red, but at least would fit an 86 930. 

https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/154471063578?epid=12026835954&hash=item23f731601a:g:mJwAAOSwmfNgrmXm