996 Turbo Tune (Melb)

Joz

Thinking about a tune in the near future.

Im not after a drag car with over the top bhp but I figure about 500 odd ponies would be  fun. Drivability and reliability are paramount.

The car is a tip and already has a Kline aftermarket exhaust but I’m wanting a bit more. So interested in peoples thoughts about what I could expect.

Also I have no idea about who and where I can can get it done. So if anyone has some positive experience getting theirs done I would appreciate any recommendations.

Ok I’m not sure how the cars are tuned so please be patient with me🤗

Do these guys tune on a dyno or just plug in a USB/chip?  Surely  each car is a custom tune to take into account any existing mods?

UMW do a "live" tune.....

He sends you a module, you download data, email to him and then he emails a new tune back.

Upload the tune - then take some more data and email back to him for checking of multiple  parameters (knock sensing etc) 

Way better than a "in the can tune" as it all allows for our crappy fuel......

35 minutes ago, on_booost said:

UMW do a "live" tune.....

He sends you a module, you download data, email to him and then he emails a new tune back.

Upload the tune - then take some more data and email back to him for checking of multiple  parameters (knock sensing etc) 

Way better than a "in the can tune" as it all allows for our crappy fuel......

Fuel quality and availability in Aust is better than US, there's a lot of 91 grade fuel (95RON) in the US and not a lot of 93 (98).  US has less high quality fuel available 

UMW for the tune, Kevin's business is wholly supporting 911 turbos and has been for years.  

19 hours ago, Joz said:

Ok I’m not sure how the cars are tuned so please be patient with me🤗

Do these guys tune on a dyno or just plug in a USB/chip?  Surely  each car is a custom tune to take into account any existing mods?

Mine has a UMW Tune and Kline exhaust, which has been fitted to the car for over 60,000km which is a pretty good testament to Kevin’s skill.

More power and definitely low down torque punch is what you will get, he can also tune your Tiptronic for more responsive shifts from what I understand. 

The process is simple enough, he sells you a lead that plugs into your OBD port. You data log the car via a program he sends you on a disc.

Once you’ve data logged it you email it to Kevin and he will edit a tune for you, then he will email that back to you and you flash it back into your ECU via a the same program on your laptop. 

It should be noted that a tune isn’t a straight forward as that, you will need to ensure your car doesn’t have any boost or vacuum leaks beforehand (it will, they all do, because very few here actually know how to pressure test a 996 turbo correctly) and your waste gates and diverter valves are functioning correctly. I’d personally update your diverter valves to 710N valves or aftermarket Billet DV’s. 

No point doing a tune if your car isn’t 100% first and remains at that level of maintenance moving forward. A tune is great but remember your also pushing the car/engine closer to the edge and more maintenance and servicing is required. 

Make sure your cooling systems both intercoolers and radiators are working correctly with no leaks and are clean, your going to make more heat. 

Your suspension may need an upgrade due to rear end squat under 1+ bar boost has a tendency to kill the inner edge of the rear tyres. Engine and gearbox mounts will also have to be at least inspected for condition or preferably upgraded due to the increased torque.  

A tune isn’t just one mod, it’s many mods (some may consider too many mods) to make that tune/car work without breaking parts, sacrificing handling or basically scaring the shit out of you. 

@Joz

I'm scared now too.... WOW.

For a mild tune done properly (std turbos & coolers) as long as the car is mechanically sound - you'll be right.

These are stout engines with a huge knowledge base from many many, years of motorsport.

What ANY mod (incl a tune)  will do is expose ANY weaknesses thats all, from clutch to coils to boost leaks. Some of these are preventative items - and should've been replaced, but you' should know - because your car wouldn't be running right......

It will not make any difference to tyre wear - and / or suspension geometry.... but the extra speed/power will again, highlight any issues if they are there.

Do not be afraid - its warm over here !!!!

• 2 weeks later...
On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2021 at 12:53, Fraz said:

Mine has a UMW Tune and Kline exhaust, which has been fitted to the car for over 60,000km which is a pretty good testament to Kevin’s skill.

More power and definitely low down torque punch is what you will get, he can also tune your Tiptronic for more responsive shifts from what I understand. 

The process is simple enough, he sells you a lead that plugs into your OBD port. You data log the car via a program he sends you on a disc.

Once you’ve data logged it you email it to Kevin and he will edit a tune for you, then he will email that back to you and you flash it back into your ECU via a the same program on your laptop. 

It should be noted that a tune isn’t a straight forward as that, you will need to ensure your car doesn’t have any boost or vacuum leaks beforehand (it will, they all do, because very few here actually know how to pressure test a 996 turbo correctly) and your waste gates and diverter valves are functioning correctly. I’d personally update your diverter valves to 710N valves or aftermarket Billet DV’s. 

No point doing a tune if your car isn’t 100% first and remains at that level of maintenance moving forward. A tune is great but remember your also pushing the car/engine closer to the edge and more maintenance and servicing is required. 

Make sure your cooling systems both intercoolers and radiators are working correctly with no leaks and are clean, your going to make more heat. 

Your suspension may need an upgrade due to rear end squat under 1+ bar boost has a tendency to kill the inner edge of the rear tyres. Engine and gearbox mounts will also have to be at least inspected for condition or preferably upgraded due to the increased torque.  

A tune isn’t just one mod, it’s many mods (some may consider too many mods) to make that tune/car work without breaking parts, sacrificing handling or basically scaring the shit out of you. 

@Fraz, any leads on a new set of 710N BOSCH diverter valves (not the flakey Kaiser ones - have a couple of sets of those).  I have been looking for a set of the bosch  ones (after stupidly donoring a couple of sets to others a few years back and didn't bother following up replacements at the time (goto valves when tweaking a twin turbo audi b5s4 in terms of bang for buck / boost leak reliability. )

On ‎10‎/‎11‎/‎2021 at 17:12, on_booost said:

@Joz

I'm scared now too.... WOW.

For a mild tune done properly (std turbos & coolers) as long as the car is mechanically sound - you'll be right.

These are stout engines with a huge knowledge base from many many, years of motorsport.

What ANY mod (incl a tune)  will do is expose ANY weaknesses thats all, from clutch to coils to boost leaks. Some of these are preventative items - and should've been replaced, but you' should know - because your car wouldn't be running right......

It will not make any difference to tyre wear - and / or suspension geometry.... but the extra speed/power will again, highlight any issues if they are there.

Do not be afraid - its warm over here !!!!

I came across a post  recently on a audi r8 v8 gen 1 forum recently, that used the words underwhelming and disappointing.   Despite being unable to get any decent numbers on a piece of paper on those cars with some slight tweaking,  the poster changed their tune after some tweaking (tune and valved replacement exhaust).   Those words, perfectly some up my view on a non tweaked boosted 996 mezger.  However, compared to a v8 r8, the difference is you can get decent incremental number increases to support the difference if your a skeptic of heresay butt dyno results from others.

22 hours ago, smit2100 said:

@Fraz, any leads on a new set of 710N BOSCH diverter valves (not the flakey Kaiser ones - have a couple of sets of those).  I have been looking for a set of the bosch  ones (after stupidly donoring a couple of sets to others a few years back and didn't bother following up replacements at the time (goto valves when tweaking a twin turbo audi b5s4 in terms of bang for buck / boost leak reliability. )

I have bought from these guys before: https://store.034motorsport.com/bypass-valve-oem-710n.html

However there are better and similar or slightly more/less price wise the fit and do a better job..

• 2 weeks later...
On 21/11/2021 at 13:19, smit2100 said:

FCP Euro mate, part number 06A145710N OEM part $102.99 USD each. 

On ‎01‎/‎12‎/‎2021 at 05:48, Fraz said:

FCP Euro mate, part number 06A145710N OEM part $102.99 USD each. 

Audi switched supplier from Bosch to Kayser and stamped their part numbers on the kaysers around 2015to 2017.  I have 2 sets of kayser's , but they been advised / known to weep when pushing 20 plus psi.  I and others have used bosch 710n's on other twin turbo marks and pushed 24plus psi and rock solid in terms of no leaks and were about 25% the cost of more fancied aftermarket valves like forge, apr 034 , genuine audi diverter values (bosch 710n with audi stamped part number)

On 05/12/2021 at 20:13, smit2100 said:

Audi switched supplier from Bosch to Kayser and stamped their part numbers on the kaysers around 2015to 2017.  I have 2 sets of kayser's , but they been advised / known to weep when pushing 20 plus psi.  I and others have used bosch 710n's on other twin turbo marks and pushed 24plus psi and rock solid in terms of no leaks and were about 25% the cost of more fancied aftermarket valves like forge, apr 034 , genuine audi diverter values (bosch 710n with audi stamped part number)

The valves currently fitted to mine are the 06A145710N which is a VW part from FCP. Boost leak tested to 20psi no leaks.

• 4 months later...
On 20/04/2022 at 16:26, Joz said:

@Boosh

I thought I'd continue the tune topic here.

Cheeky buggars with the Cobb partners.🤐 not supplying a stage 2 tune with the unit.

Why no 95/98 for a tune?

Both Stage 0 and Stage 1 maps have 95 (91 US) and 98 (93 US) options.

35 minutes ago, the_sovereign_man said:

Both Stage 0 and Stage 1 maps have 95 (91 US) and 98 (93 US) options.

Thanks I’ve learnt about it today talking to a tuning workshop.

98 it is, as it was before.

Oh it’s booked in for a dyno run for a health check and all going well will be tuned.

Nothing to extreme as all that’s modded is the addition of a Kline exhaust.