Unsung hero’s of Porsche Service

550Spyder

I was talking to someone the other day who told me that Mark Buik had sold out his workshop in Adelaide and it got me thinking about the unsung hero’s of Porsche service in Australia.

Guys like Mark Buik, Bob Whym at BWA,  David Brennan and Buchanan’s,  factory trained, modest workshops, reasonable rates and straight shooting advice. They’re not building concept cars, running track days, building fancy websites and filling Instagram up with moody shots.

I’m not having a crack at the Autohaus / Weltmiester’s of this world but feel there are a few unsung hero’s that support our P community with parts, service and advice who don’t get a lot of kudos.

Thanks boys (and girls).

Who else deserves a shout out? 

Mike Jacobson at Spyder Automobiles in beautiful, downtown Warragul Vic gets my vote - carrying on the work of the legendary John Gregory, Spyder has been going 53 years. He's a one-man operation so has a lot of balls to juggle but the work and advice are both exceptional in my view.

5 hours ago, Stockydude said:

Mike Jacobson at Spyder Automobiles in beautiful, downtown Warragul Vic gets my vote - carrying on the work of the legendary John Gregory, Spyder has been going 53 years. He's a one-man operation so has a lot of balls to juggle but the work and advice are both exceptional in my view.

Mike gets my vote too, has looked after my 1970 "911" for the last 19 years. Honest and fair and has added lots of free time to keep me in Porsche ownership on a limited budget. Gives personal service and is a great enthusiast.

• 2 weeks later...

He’s in the USA but John Walker is a legend.  Sad day when prices forced him to pack up and semi retire.  Still runs a yearly swap meet that gets a lot of attendance and doles out the advice good and straight when you ask him.  He has contributed a lot of knowledge on pelican.

On 23/11/2021 at 22:26, Coastr said:

He’s in the USA but John Walker is a legend.  Sad day when prices forced him to pack up and semi retire.  Still runs a yearly swap meet that gets a lot of attendance and doles out the advice good and straight when you ask him.  He has contributed a lot of knowledge on pelican.

And doesn't have a sensitive ego like some of them and is happy to admit when he stuffs up.  The 3.2 inlet gaskets in the SC thread is an example.  Otherwise good sensible advice always.

On 13/11/2021 at 18:25, Peter M said:

Always had good work and advice from Simon and Sarah at Autowerks at Wyong:

German Auto Werks

Mate I am 1,000% behind you on this. Simon at Autowerks is absolutely fantastic and there is a reason why a lot of his customers travel from a very long way to get him to work in their cars. He is now my No:1 choice for my car

• 2 weeks later...
  • 9 months later...