Has the air cooled market cooled ?

6 minutes ago, OBRUT said:

I’m seeing the opposite - quick sales and very strong dollars, especially for the higher value cars. 

Interesting . Yep I could be very wrong but the particular cars I have been looking at have been sitting for longer I would have thought .

These are all 81 to 87 cars .

7 minutes ago, OBRUT said:

I’m seeing the opposite - quick sales and very strong dollars, especially for the higher value cars. 

Do you feel it is the case that great examples remain buoyant, whilst the tide is no longer lifting average & below par examples?

24 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

Interesting . Yep I could be very wrong but the particular cars I have been looking at have been sitting for longer I would have thought .

These are all 81 to 87 cars .

A lot of the 'good' cars don't seem to make it to the open market. The earlier cars have more demand (2.7-3.0L), otherwise people seem to be chasing 964's. 3.2's can be a bit meh. 

1 hour ago, edgy said:

Do you feel it is the case that great examples remain buoyant, whilst the tide is no longer lifting average & below par examples?

Largely, plus 81-87 are “common” in relative terms. 

There is a LOT of activity off carsales. Dealers buying and selling, word of mouth / off market, friends, etc

Fluffy market , too much turbulence outside the flow zone ,  in the shit that you wouldnt buy thats been dragged up,  hyped out of proportion and the wannabe tryers going high trying their luck.  As always the solid cars , enthusiast cars , trade in all markets at varying prices because of their provenance and collectability/scarcity.    most 81-87 cars dont fall in those categories in my view. 

The rate of visible trades seems to have slowed.. form my perspective too.. I personally have just stayed out for a good few months cause of the turbulence and noise .. some sellers just wouldnt sell as they were unsure of values when when you put forward a firm position and i cant be arsed with the protracted deal.  I will wait an opportunity to come to the market but the deal itself it either has tension and some heat in it or not..  If theres too much back and forth the energy just dies and generally i find it dont happen. . Takes commitment from both sides to close out. 

1 hour ago, hugh said:

A lot of the 'good' cars don't seem to make it to the open market. The earlier cars have more demand (2.7-3.0L), otherwise people seem to be chasing 964's. 3.2's can be a bit meh. 

It's amazing how the tide turned so sharply ..

When I bought my 3.0 SC, it was the red-headed step child of the air-cooled world .. and the 2.7 was worse!

The 3.2 was the poster child and boy, didn't owners of them let us know about it! 😅

1 hour ago, OBRUT said:

Largely, plus 81-87 are “common” in relative terms. 

There is a LOT of activity off carsales. Dealers buying and selling, word of mouth / off market, friends, etc

This.

IYKYK - and it pays to know :) 

@symsy - I agree - if its for sale its for sale - you wanna buy it - I wanna sell it - just gotta get the price right, no?

Anything special (bespoke/rebuilt/painted/backdated/forward dated) seems to be hot right now. Stock shitters are still, well, shitters....

3 hours ago, hugh said:

A lot of the 'good' cars don't seem to make it to the open market

Bingo. Markets absolutely pumped right now and good air cooled are selling privately or via waitlisted people. It’s the opposite of cooled.  Record  prices being set continually. Just bypassing carsales. 

10 minutes ago, LeeM said:

Cool! $150k for my 78 Ghetto backdate shitter thing! 

Cash only

Thats a magnum opus money car you have sir .. A lot of magic went into that build 

Or is it a Magnus once was famous but now hopeless Outlaw .. or is maybe it just Aircool Ghetto  , yep I think its that ... it an evolution vehicle I feel. Its all in the marketing you know.

I agree retro dollars rule , f..k bitcoin , give me the folding stuff if you want my motor 

20 minutes ago, wilson59 said:

Same . Show me this mystical place called word of mouth 

I sold my SC when I mentioned it to a guy at cars and coffee then a week later bought my next one off someone that reached out through instagram. Alternate market place is strong as no one wants to deal with dicks on CS if they don’t need to. Let people know what ur chasing make a bit of noise, it’s surprising how many cars get offered

1 hour ago, cafe_racer said:

Everyone talks about word of mouth off market trades. How the feck do I get in on this action. I’m here refreshing carsales like a chump 

Where to start -

Tell everyone what you’re looking for,

set realistic budgets,

have cash ready for immediate settlement (1 or 2 days max),

ask dealers, ask mechanics, ask people at cars n coffee or the track, ask on socials, 

be polite, be polite, be polite

don’t mess people about with drawn out negotiations (if you think you’re too far apart in either direction then just politely say so and keep looking),

preferably do your own ppi on the spot,

be helpful to others - eg look at cars local to you for folk interstate, help with storing before shipping or collecting spares - anything  

accept a bit of risk!

Once you get out there you might be amazed what comes your way.  I’ve sold one and bought two air cooled cars (all 3 absolute crackers) in just the past fortnight. None were publicly advertised. 

1 hour ago, wilson59 said:

Same . Show me this mystical place called word of mouth 

I hear you Mate, Bloody inner circle ,Heard about it all my life, The only thing I have got from word of mouth is SFA or told BS 😫

4 hours ago, LeeM said:

Cool! $150k for my 78 Ghetto backdate shitter thing! 

Cash only

Thats a magnum opus money car you have sir .. A lot of magic went into that build 

Or is it a Magnus once was famous but now hopeless Outlaw .. or is maybe it just Aircool Ghetto  , yep I think its that ... it an evolution vehicle I feel. Its all in the marketing you know.

I agree retro dollars rule , f..k bitcoin , give me the folding stuff if you want my motor 

-----------------------------------

As for cars being sold by word of mouth ... well , I cant recall the last time i placed or bought off a car sales advert and people.  People tell me about their cars for sale or approach me I feel cos they know they will get an answer or as Ryan say I know people who are on many levels clear about what they want  and are ready to go in a few days , if all things check out ..

12 hours ago, cafe_racer said:

Everyone talks about word of mouth off market trades. How the feck do I get in on this action. I’m here refreshing carsales like a chump 

I felt connected some years back with regular calls to and from guys around the country, the only calls I get now are from people looking😐

moderators feel free to move it to the lonely old man seeks affirmation section

I'm buying, not selling right now...so yes, market has cooled, the ass has fallen out of it, expect heavy discounting over the next few months...inflation, interest rates, impending financial doom etc.

p.s. @9er sell me yo😂ur 912 before the market collapses.

All the sales I've seen lately have been off market. Usually ridiculous offers that don't allow the car to make it to market. I follow the 3.2 market heavily (aussie delivered in particular) and I can tell you there are only 2 coupes on carsales. The white one has been for sale for well over 12 months and has been increasing the price over time. The second being the grey 86' model. I think 86' is the least sought after of the 3.2s due to the lower power output engine and the 915 box, unlike the 87's which had the G50. I don't believe that to be the reason it hasn't sold though as any Aussie 3.2 coupe is hot property at the moment. It was for sales around 12 months ago and listed again in the last 4 months or so. I suspect maybe an issue? Don't want to make any assumptions without viewing the car though. If it's in good nic, I think the price is reasonable. 

The last clean G50 3.2 I saw sold for $250k on one of those online sites chrome template. It was restored. 

If you're lurking on carsales waiting for an opportunity, it's likely that it won't come and even if it does and it's good. You're competing against so many other people (myself included), who aren't looking at anything in particular, just waiting for something that's good to pop up. I know so many that check carsales daily out of habbit just waiting for anything decent to pop up. 

The last 2 cars I bought were off market and I sold one because someone offered me what I paid (market value), plus another 50%. Money talks and regardless what people say there's no stock at the moment. I rbink it's a buyers market.